Tanking... and dumping - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Tanking... and dumping

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Tanking... and dumping

Postby ichirosan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:22 am

In the 20-man H2H league I commish, one of the teams started dumping his better players. He's 18th at the moment, so I understand the thought process, and so far he has only dumped Andrew Bailey, Chase Utley and Alexei Ramírez. However, our trade deadline isn't due until Aug. 19, and the players he picked up are very questionable (Alfredo Simón, Chris Denorfia, Jeff Keppinger, Ronny Cedeño...). I'm pretty sure he would have gotten something decent for any of those players.

To make matters worse, I hold the #1 waiver priority, and have a huge gaping hole at SS because Ian Desmond and Emilio Bonifacio got DL'd.

The question is... should I do anything about it (talk to him, kick him, etc.)?
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Tanking... and dumping

Postby KingOfSports » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:15 pm

You're probably right that he could have gotten something for those players, especially in a 20 man league. I'd talk to him to see what's up, but wouldn't kick him out or anything like that...is this a keeper league or not?
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ichirosan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:28 pm

KingOfSports wrote:You're probably right that he could have gotten something for those players, especially in a 20 man league. I'd talk to him to see what's up, but wouldn't kick him out or anything like that...is this a keeper league or not?

Dynasty league, we keep 20 players from year to year.

I was sure I had mentioned it.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ichirosan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:47 am

So... here's what happened. He also traded Tim Lincecum for David Murphy. In a vaccum, while questionable, I would have allowed the deal, but after this I just figured the guy was flat out tanking.

In the meantime, there was basically a riot on the league, figuring the guy either didn't care anymore (because he's 18th out of 20 teams) or his account was hacked.

I decided to return Bailey, Utley and Alexei to his team undoing the moves he did because players would have been claimed today, and locked his roster. I messaged him two days ago, and finally showed up, quite angry, today when I gave him an ultimatum. He says he wanted those players (yes, Denorfia and Cedeño over Utley and Ramírez, even when he still has on his roster such luminaries as Liván Hernández, Willie Bloomquist and just picked up Jeff Keppinger), and dumped Bailey because he didn't have space in his DL... which I found funny because we have 5 slots and there were 3 free DL spots when I put him back on his roster yesterday.

So... what should I do at this point?
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

Postby mkultra » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:11 pm

What's his incentive for dropping those players and picking up the others? Salary? In a league where you keep 400 players, I don't see dropping in the standings for a better draft pick as a worth it.

If these are salary dumps, I have ZERO problem with it. I think it's lame, but I think managers need leeway to manage their teams how they want.

FAAB definitely alleviates the impact of "dumb drops".
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby ryan2714 » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:36 am

I commish a 10 team 5x5 7 keeper league and had a member drop very serviceable players as well, not just a few like 10. I used my commish powers and just put all the players back on his team and then talked to him and gave him a warning. Problem was solved. A reoccurring action like that and blatant disregard I would say warrants a boot.
ryan2714
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Return to Commissioner's Corner