Masterson/C. Lewis for Soriano/Chipper in dynasty? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Masterson/C. Lewis for Soriano/Chipper in dynasty?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Masterson/C. Lewis for Soriano/Chipper in dynasty?

Postby jnormy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:21 am

20-team H2H dynasty league uses standard categories plus OPS and Holds, set lineups daily, playing on Yahoo. As I've said in other posts, I inherited a team that needed a complete overhaul so I'm stockpiling youth and prospects. We have no minor league teams, so we stash prospects as roster spots.

Another owner who's all in trying to win it this year has offered me Justin Masterson/Colby Lewis for Alfonso Soriano/Chipper Jones. Obviously Chipper is retiring, so he'd do the other guy a lot more good than me at this point. Soriano still has some value and pop, but he's an aging player. I personally think Masterson is "meh" but he's only 27 and had a good year last year. Is there any upside left with him? I could stash Lewis on my DL and play around with that roster spot until Bailey comes off the DL. So my question is, is a Masterson/Lewis package good enough for Fonzie and Chipper in a dynasty?

Opinions please, thanks!

Here's my roster (punting saves for now):

C D. Norris
1B Goldschmidt
2B J. Weeks
SS A. Escobar
3B Seager
LF Soriano
CF Fowler
RF Revere
UT Joyce
BN Doumit
BN C. Jones
BN Profar (NA)
BN Starling (NA)
BN Arenado (NA)
DL Reimold

SP Cueto
SP Cahill
SP Leake
RP O'Flaherty
RP Crain
RP Detwiler
P Samardzija
P Minor
P M. Perez (NA)
BN Taillon (NA)
DL A. Bailey
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Masterson/C. Lewis for Soriano/Chipper in dynasty?

Postby Largentium » Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:54 pm

The major issue here is Lewis is not only out for the rest of the year, but at least the first half of next year and then it will take the rest of next year just to get his command back. So he's not a useful piece until 2014 when he turns 35 and at that age, there's no guarantee that he'll come all the way back. And Masterson isn't much to write home about either. Soriano and Chipper can at least be useful this year, so you're not getting much back for them.

You're in the right ballpark in who you want to deal, you just need a better offer.
Largentium
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Masterson/C. Lewis for Soriano/Chipper in dynasty?

Postby jnormy » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:31 pm

Largentium wrote:The major issue here is Lewis is not only out for the rest of the year, but at least the first half of next year and then it will take the rest of next year just to get his command back. So he's not a useful piece until 2014 when he turns 35 and at that age, there's no guarantee that he'll come all the way back. And Masterson isn't much to write home about either. Soriano and Chipper can at least be useful this year, so you're not getting much back for them.

You're in the right ballpark in who you want to deal, you just need a better offer.

Thanks for the informative response! I rejected the deal, and he came back with Lewis for Chipper. Since I'm not playing for this year at all, should I accept, or do you think I could get more for Jones before our August 19 trade deadline? Lewis was great this year before his injury. Is he really out that far into 2013? I haven't really seen any solid ETAs in the reports I've read.
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions