Top 20 SP for 2013 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Top 20 SP for 2013

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Top 20 SP for 2013

Postby rjforlife » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:
Cream wrote:A little surprised to see Matt Moore make the list. I know he's been shaky and upside is still huge. I'm assuming those ranking in top 20 are thinking keepers???

I thInk Matt Moore is a fantastic target next season, but I'm not ready to put him in my top 20 next for next year at this moment. He will certainly be a target of mine though.

Moore since the break- 30 2/3 IP, 28 Ks, 5 er (1.47 ERA), 1.04 WHIP, 4-1 record. I'm sure the statheads can come up with more good numbers, but those surface stats are very strong. He also went 3-0 with a 3.16 in June with 32 Ks in 31 1/3 IP. Needless to say, I have a feeling Moore has gotten over whatever had him in a funk and he is wheeling and dealing now. Imagine if he can start to reign in his control and stop walking half the batters he does now, he could really be something. To put it in perspective, would you rather have this young talented guy on a big upswing, or a haggard old man on a quitting team like Cliff Lee. I would take the upside and excitement of Moore for next season.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:55 pm

There may only be a couple people with better stuff than Moore...the complete loss of command had me confused this year but if he can reign that in, he'll be dominant.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby MashinSpuds » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:31 pm

rjforlife wrote:To put it in perspective, would you rather have this young talented guy on a big upswing, or a haggard old man on a quitting team like Cliff Lee. I would take the upside and excitement of Moore for next season.

Speaking of Cliff Lee, if he goes so late next year such that his past four years are forgotten due to one rough year, it's going to be easy money. I do like the upside of Moore, but I like the bounce back of Lee even more so. I don't think the Phillies will necessarily be a quitting team next year.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby RyeWhiskey » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:00 pm

J35J wrote:There may only be a couple people with better stuff than Moore...the complete loss of command had me confused this year but if he can reign that in, he'll be dominant.

Moore post ASB: 24.2 IP, 3-1, 22/10 K/BB, 1.46 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .200 BAA

Buy low = over.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rjforlife » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:15 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote:
J35J wrote:There may only be a couple people with better stuff than Moore...the complete loss of command had me confused this year but if he can reign that in, he'll be dominant.

Moore post ASB: 24.2 IP, 3-1, 22/10 K/BB, 1.46 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, .200 BAA

Buy low = over.

Moore since the break- 30 2/3 IP, 28 Ks, 5 er (1.47 ERA), 1.04 WHIP, 4-1 record....don't forget today's start ;-D
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:30 pm

this list seems to be missing the NL ERA leader. (second in the MLB)
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:01 pm

Yeah, Lee isn't getting much respect...I'll jump all over him next year if he falls to where these lists are putting him.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:01 am

rjforlife wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:
Cream wrote:A little surprised to see Matt Moore make the list. I know he's been shaky and upside is still huge. I'm assuming those ranking in top 20 are thinking keepers???

I thInk Matt Moore is a fantastic target next season, but I'm not ready to put him in my top 20 next for next year at this moment. He will certainly be a target of mine though.

Moore since the break- 30 2/3 IP, 28 Ks, 5 er (1.47 ERA), 1.04 WHIP, 4-1 record. I'm sure the statheads can come up with more good numbers, but those surface stats are very strong. He also went 3-0 with a 3.16 in June with 32 Ks in 31 1/3 IP. Needless to say, I have a feeling Moore has gotten over whatever had him in a funk and he is wheeling and dealing now. Imagine if he can start to reign in his control and stop walking half the batters he does now, he could really be something. To put it in perspective, would you rather have this young talented guy on a big upswing, or a haggard old man on a quitting team like Cliff Lee. I would take the upside and excitement of Moore for next season.

Moore has proven thus far that he is a slow start and a strong finisher. Believe me, I know how great he has been lately, I'm a Matt Moore owner. I just am not quite ready to throw him in my top 20 category yet though. He comes to mind for sure when I'm thinking of my list, I just want to see him finish strong again, and he will leap up my rankings.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

Postby MashinSpuds » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:49 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:Moore has proven thus far that he is a slow start and a strong finisher.

Technically, for those drafting next year, one can't use this as fact. The sample size is only one year, so next year's progress could be an entirely different result. He could start out strong (he's figured out the MLB) or he could have an iffy season (MLB has figured him out). I'd like to think with the way he's been pitching lately it will take much less time, if any at all, to get things rolling in 2013.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:25 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:
NikkiSixx wrote:Moore has proven thus far that he is a slow start and a strong finisher.

Technically, for those drafting next year, one can't use this as fact. The sample size is only one year, so next year's progress could be an entirely different result. He could start out strong (he's figured out the MLB) or he could have an iffy season (MLB has figured him out). I'd like to think with the way he's been pitching lately it will take much less time, if any at all, to get things rolling in 2013.

Actually, his slow starts and strong finishes date back to the minor leagues.

http://mobile.draysbay.com/2012/4/10/29 ... ow-starter

But I'm hoping he's put that behind him, as he will probably be the first pitcher I target in every league next year.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 433)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers