Quick Deal: Chris Sale worth Chase Headley and Greg Holland - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Quick Deal: Chris Sale worth Chase Headley and Greg Holland

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Quick Deal: Chris Sale worth Chase Headley and Greg Holland

Postby J_dogg82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:17 am

I could really use another quality Starter to go with Verlander, M. Cain, C. Lee, and M. Fiers since I traded Grienke for some offense (Also have Morrow on DH - rehabbing in AA). I've been using Wei-Yin Chen, S. Diamond, Niese, or Bailey on occasion to cover spot starts when the match-up looks good, but that's been bad at least as often as good.

At the same time I have actually tried to get something for Headley a few times this year when I was healthier and not found any real interest but I have Sandoval and Ortiz on the DH, both looking to return. Headley was usually my third Util player, or BN most of the year, but starting at 3rd until Sandoval returns in (hopefully) a week.

Holland was a nice steal off wavers on the 31st. He cost me nothing, but as the new closer, probably has some value.

There are four weeks in our league until playoffs. I've been slumping lately and fallen from second place I've been in to fourth in the last 3 weeks. More problematic is that I get slaughtered by the player comfortably in first, so I feel like I need to make a move to have any chance. Is this the right bet...

Hope that Sale continues to dominate and the recent "dead arm" was just a fluke? AND...
Hope Sandoval and Ortiz come back strong? AND...
Hope that a few extra saves aren't the difference down the line?

Please advise fast as I don't think he'll wait long.

Thanks in advance and you all rock.
J_dogg82
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Quick Deal: Chris Sale worth Chase Headley and Greg Holl

Postby microwavable » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:23 am

J_dogg, is this a keeper league?
microwavable
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J_dogg82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:24 am

microwavable wrote:J_dogg, is this a keeper league?

No just a one time thing.
J_dogg82
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby microwavable » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:30 am

I'd target a different pitcher. Sale's been great this year (I have him in my long-time keeper league, as a closer keeper from last year) but his innings are going to be limited heading down the stretch. I don't think it'd be worth the risk.
microwavable
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J_dogg82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:57 am

microwavable wrote:I'd target a different pitcher. Sale's been great this year (I have him in my long-time keeper league, as a closer keeper from last year) but his innings are going to be limited heading down the stretch. I don't think it'd be worth the risk.

Thanks for the help. Could I ask though why you think he will be limited with the Sox in a pennant race?

I considered countering with Ryan Cook and Headley, as Cook's impressive season has hit a bump in the last four starts. Does that make it a closer call? Also have Axeford, Chapman and Wilhelmsen.

Assuming I can wait that long, if Sale has a quality start tonight with 9 days rest, does that change things?

Finally, it's worth noting that Chipper Jones, Kyle Seager, Chris Davis, and Will Middlebrooks are all available on waivers. None of them have the season numbers that Headley does, or the consistence, but Chipper Jones has comparable numbers over the last 30 days.
J_dogg82
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby dcmove2003 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:06 pm

I actually like the trade for a few reasons (despite the risk that was mentioned earlier in that Sale is wearing down a bit and may be limited):

1) You have Ortiz and Sandoval, and at least one (probably both) will come back strong.

2) Middlebrooks and Chipper are on WW. I really like Middlebrooks. He's underrated and provides power.

3) Holland is okay, but nothing special and he may even lose the job at some point given some other options in the KC bullpen (like Aaron Crow).

4) Sale is the best player in the deal, and so in my opinion is worth the risk. You're not giving up a ton to get him.

Can you help me? viewtopic.php?t=451088
dcmove2003
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby microwavable » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:12 pm

Not so sure about Cook.. Hearing they might switch back to Balfour as their closer. I think now that they realize they have a somewhat legitimate shot at the post-season, they need every win they can get. Cook blowing saves hasn't been helping.

My thinking on Sale is they would still try to preserve that arm for the post-season. He's going to miss a couple starts here and there the rest of the way. If that's going to work for you, then go for it. I have him in a points league so I focus a bit more on his accumulative stats.
microwavable
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby J_dogg82 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks to you both. You both made good points. After a long deliberation I decided to take the deal. No guts and no glory. I don't think I can win the league without gaining ground somewhere and this seems to offer a potentially high reward for the risk. If Sandoval and Ortiz don't come back strong Headley isn't going to carry the team anyway. And if he is just going to play sometimes I can replace him with a player that has similar performance (Jones) or potential (Middelbrooks). Hopefully it works out. If not, there's always next season.

Now, if Morrow comes back strong I'll have Verlander, Lee, Cain, Morrow, Fiers, and Sale...which should give me at least a chance to win most of my pitching games against anyone...and the Offense will have to earn splits.
J_dogg82
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions