8/6 Cheering, Venting, & Fringe Offensive 'Analysis' - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/6 Cheering, Venting, & Fringe Offensive 'Analysis'

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8/6 Cheering, Venting, & Fringe Offensive 'Analysis'

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:29 am

We took a four day look at some fringe SP you may want to look at, and nobody really cared, so I figured I'd follow it up with a few bats to keep an eye on whether they're available in your league, or if the owner who speculatively snatched them up drops them to speculatively snatch up the next flavor of the week...

Garrett Jones, PIT, 1B/OF -- Managers who have owned Garrett in the back know all too well of just how hot (and consequently, how cold) he's capable of getting. Over stretches he can put up numbers comparable to the big name 1B, and that's no exaggeration. Dude is slugging a cool .513 this season with a career high .271 batting average to support it (not overly inflated by his BABIP, either, which is encouraging). He's had back-to-back excellent months in June and July, and has come out in full force this first week of August as well. If you platoon him vs RHP, it only looks better, to the tune of .281/.308/.530, with 14 of his 16 HR to date. Don't underestimate his ability to help your offensive numbers, even in a part-time role. He needs to be owned in all but the shallowest of leagues, yet is only rostered in 40% of ESPN Leagues.

Mike Olt, TEX, 3B -- Mike Olt has had an interesting first 3 games as a Major League ballplayer. With just 2 hits in his first 7 at bats, Olt has both walked and struck out a pair of times, stolen a base, scored once, and driven in two. At this point in the year prospect play can be like throwing a dart at a board, but you could certainly do worse than this highly touted third baseman engrossed in a fuel injected lineup in a launchpad stadium.

Chris Carter, OAK, 1B -- Carter is really an enigma to me. Strikes out a ton, but is also walking at an unbelievable 19.8% clip, which puts his walk and strikeout potential in the range of Adam Dunn a half-decade ago (before Dunn actually started to strike out more). Carter never showed a batting eye remotely close to this in the minors, and the sample size is a paltry 25 games, but he's got legitimate power potential, with the upside of molding into a Dunn-esque type of offensive player (and not in the way everybody else who hits HR and has a low AVG gets compared to Adam Dunn; I mean as a complete hitter). ZiPS absolutely hates him, but I'd ride out this power streak as long as possible, especially if I'm in a bind at 1B.

Ryan Ludwick, CIN, OF -- It's not that long ago that this guy was swatting balls in St. Louis and people were thinking he may quietly be really good. Check out his 2008. Phew. Even his 2009 has to be considered nice looking back, though not after where he was drafted following his 2008. Perspective is a wonderful thing, ain't it? At any rate, after that he went to the place where all good hitters go to die, San Diego. We're going to pretend that never existed (nor did Pittsburgh), and here we are in Cincinnati. 19 bombs in just 303 Plate Appearances, and Ludwick has filled in amicably during the absence of All-World 1B Joey Votto, offensively. He has the opportunity to be a cheap source of extremely underrated fantasy production over the final two months of the season, if you can stomach .260. How many other players are you going to possibly find on the WW (owned in just shy of 60% of ESPN Leagues) who could realistically approach 10 HR over the final 2 months of the season?

Lorenzo Cain, KC, OF -- I know how Josh Hamilton and Ron Washington feel, cause I'm addicted to LoCaine. He's stealing bases, jacking homers, scoring runs, and driving them in. Remember what you thought you drafted Eric Hosmer for? Lorenzo Cain is doing that all now, with OF eligibility. Remember when you didn't pick up Cain so you could pick up Starling Marte instead because he had a good speed and power combo? Cain has 3 HR and 3 SB since re-joining the Royals off the Disabled List, batting .295 in the process. He's batting 3rd most days, which is good enough to start in all fantasy leagues for the production potential alone. If you're one of the few leagues where he's available, snatch him up.

Coco Crisp, OAK, OF -- It may seem like a long time ago, but just last season Crisp swiped 49 bags, providing ridiculous (albeit, one category) value to fantasy owners. This season he got off to a sluggish (understatement of the thread) start, and was dropped at an alarming rate, and forgotten about. Fast forward to a week into August, where his 21 steals may not look that impressive, until you see that twice as many of then came in June and July than in April and May (he missed time in May, but that doesn't support my claim, so we're ignoring it). He also bat .342 in July. Crisp was BABIP'd to death the first two months of the season, and since then has been much more of the Coco Crisp of 2011 than of Spring 2012. If you're looking for Steals with the potential for a nice batting average and some Runs, Crisp is owned in 44% of ESPN Leagues, and even in many competitive leagues still finds himself on the Waiver Wire due to his ugly overall season numbers.

I wanted to write a few more up for guys like Brett Wallace, Travis Snider, Josh Vitters, etc. but I got tired. By all means, feel free to add your own and why. As I noted above (if I didn't, I meant to), these guys aren't necessarily available in your league, but they're often the guys who are ditched to pick up the hot new prospect, or the first three-game stretch they go hitless in, unfairly, and you need to be there to swoop in and capitalize. Happy hunting!

Also, here's your meme fix...

I hate you.
Love,
bigh0rt

Today's Matchups:

NYY: Nova (10-5, 4.53 ERA)
DET: Verlander (11-7, 2.63 ERA)

ATL: Sheets (3-1, 1.46 ERA)
PHI: Worley (6-6, 3.63 ERA)

SEA: Vargas (12-7, 3.71 ERA)
BAL: Tillman (4-1, 2.70 ERA)

ARI: Miley (12-6, 2.98 ERA)
PIT: Bedard (5-12, 4.83 ERA)

MIN: Diamond (9-5, 2.93 ERA)
CLE: McAllister (4-3, 3.42 ERA)

WSH: Jackson (6-7, 3.57 ERA)
HOU: Keuchel (1-4, 5.77 ERA)

TEX: Darvish (11-7, 4.38 ERA)
BOS: Cook (2-5, 5.24 ERA)

CIN: Arroyo (7-6, 3.87 ERA)
MIL: Gallardo (9-8, 3.92 ERA)

KC: Mendoza (5-7, 4.32 ERA)
CHW: Sale (12-3, 2.61 ERA)

SF: Cain (10-4, 2.82 ERA)
STL: Westbrook (10-8, 3.79 ERA)

LAA: Weaver (14-1, 2.29 ERA)
OAK: Parker (7-5, 3.44 ERA)

CHC: Wood (4-7, 4.90 ERA)
SD: Stults (1-2, 3.19 ERA)

COL: Pomeranz (1-6, 5.13 ERA)
LAD: Capuano (10-7, 3.33 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 8/6 Cheering, Venting, & Fringe Offensive 'Analysis'

Postby AussieDodger » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:13 am

I don't want to alarm anyone, but Jake Fox just signed a minor league contract with the Phillies :-o :-o

Also: S.Victorino HATES the Dodgers, I'm predicting two months of clock-watching/uninterested peformance and then he signs with another west coast team.
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby ayebatter » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:15 am

AussieDodger wrote:
Also: S.Victorino HATES the Dodgers, I'm predicting two months of clock-watching/uninterested peformance and then he signs with another west coast team.

Dodger fans Hate Victorino, I'm predicting that if we see two months of clock-watching/uninterested performance, we'll kick him to the curb. ;-)
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1360)

Postby KingOfSports » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:55 am

Hoping Cook blows another save today so I can pick up Balfour :-D
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:38 pm

ayebatter wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:

Dodger fans Hate Victorino, I'm predicting that if we see two months of clock-watching/uninterested performance, we'll kick him to the curb. ;-)

He had better get his $*** together if he wants to get paid this winter. 1.5 solid months with the Dodgers along with some potential playoff games could make GM's somewhat forget about how poorly he's played so far this season.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 757)

Postby Element » Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:41 pm

I've been high on LoCaine for the past several weeks. Someone may need to stage an Intervention soon.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Postby J35J » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:13 pm

Fing LoCain...I had him on my DL in 2 of 3 leagues most of the season and when he finally came off I let him go in both because I figured if he was 100% healthy he still wouldn't be "great"...maybe solid but not really good...and the word was that he was likely going to finish the year at 85-90% healthy so I didn't think he would do much. Hmmm, damn baseball...why do you baffle me so?
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby Element » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:11 pm

J35J wrote:Fing LoCain...I had him on my DL in 2 of 3 leagues most of the season and when he finally came off I let him go in both because I figured if he was 100% healthy he still wouldn't be "great"...maybe solid but not really good...and the word was that he was likely going to finish the year at 85-90% healthy so I didn't think he would do much. Hmmm, damn baseball...why do you baffle me so?

Your loss is my gain. My keepers were looking horrible. Thanks! :-D
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GiantsFan14 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:17 pm

I just saw how crazy the home/away splits for the Giants are this year. Somehow they've scored the third most runs on the road in baseball (behind the Mets and Angels) and scored the fourth least at home, barely beating out the Mariners, Padres, and Pirates. They have hit a total of 17 (seventeen!) homeruns at home, that's eight less then the next worst team (obv the padres).

The pitching hasn't been much different with a second best 2.69 ERA at home and 4.54 ERA on the road.

AT&T has played pretty neutral in the past (at least prior to 2011), so this seemed pretty ridiculous to me.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:32 pm

17 HRs at home... Grandy has 18 himself !+)
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 131)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers