New scoring system? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

New scoring system?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

New scoring system?

Postby jcave24 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Currently, my league's settings provide for an ESPN standard 5x5 H2H league (R, HR, RBI, SB, BA vs K's, W, Sv, ERA, WHIP) and have been considering a change. I'm not sure that these are available on ESPN's site, but I've been kicking around the following idea and trying to find a site to host it on where the stat categories area available.

Batting: R, HR, RBI, SB, BA, OPS

Pitching: K/9, H/9, BB/9, QS, SV, ERA

Taking out wins takes a bit of luck out of the equation, while the three ratio categories divide up WHIP and add value to relievers and detract value from starters with somewhat poor ratios, however, as with a standard system, a couple runs and a reliever could blow your whole team up for a week. In addition, it would make owners have to weigh pitching options more carefully, as a high strikeout guy may have a lot of walks, so they might need a ground ball guy to lower their bb/9 to a normal level; this would also lower their K/9, so it would be an ever-shifting thing.

Any thoughts? I think it could really change the way people look at pitching and could make it really interesting. Also, if anyone knows of a site not named cbssports that has these categories, please let me know!
jcave24
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: New scoring system?

Postby mkultra » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:23 pm

A few thoughts:

- I'm pretty sure any site out there supports those stats. H/9 might be a bit exotic, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it.
- I don't think W is really any "luckier" than SV in an H2H league. I also personally don't think QS is really a better stat than W, but it's basically a personal bias and I get why some people prefer it.
- I see where you're going with BA + OPS, but I think there's too much overlap. In my dynasty league, we use OBP + TB (total bases) to achieve the same thing, if you're considering other options.
- You can essentially consolidate K/9 and BB/9 into K:BB. We use it and I've really come to like it as an indicator of overall pitcher quality.
- Make sure your rosters support your scoring. Sounds silly, but it bears mentioning. If, for example, you want to tweak your scoring to increase the value of middle relievers, make sure you have more than the standard 2 RP's slots, or go with all P spots.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 52)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Commissioner's Corner