Your biggest fantasy mistake - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your biggest fantasy mistake

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Your biggest fantasy mistake

Postby bigken117 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:10 pm

in 2007 I was competitive in Hot Stove early in the year and needed some power, so I traded a struggling Low A prospect for a 27 yo SS fresh off a 35 HR campaign (as a 26 yo)

That prospect, Justin Upton
That SS, Bill Hall

When you've been playing for so long, you win some and you lose some, but this was a big loss and the one always in the front of my mind. I'm not afraid to trade prospects for proven help to win a championship because more fail than not, but damn if that one doesn't always stick with me.

I also remember when Braun was called up and on waivers, I had #1 waiver in another league and my claim was in, I was watching Brewers/Cubs on WGN and Braun struck out and looked pretty bad (from my professional eyes :*) ) so I almost cancelled the claim to wait for (I think) Butler or Hughes. I didn't cancel and Braun is still on my team, so that was close.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:10 pm

My biggest fantasy mistake in my NL Only auction league was sitting on my hands during the auction. I waited and waited as old veterans went for higher money than I'd have liked (never mind the young guys), so I ended up paying too much on lottery tickets like Brandon Belt and Kenley Jansen (pre-Guerra). Luckily some of those gambles worked out and I'm in third place ... but I could have been in first if I got better guys.

Don't wait too long in auctions and go get the guys you want.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 149)

Postby mayor quimby » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm

J35J wrote:
bayside wrote:
mayor quimby wrote:My biggest mistake was probably drafting Desmond Jennings 4th overall.

8-o

I'm guessing this was a keeper league if you look at the list of guys "he coulda had" instead...that, or he meant 4th round.

Yeah 4th round, idk why I said overall. But even that is a terrible pick.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 40)

Postby skones » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:09 pm

To be honest, I think the reason for my fantasy success this season has been my lack of any huge mistakes this season.

The league is going on it's 7th season, we did a total redraft prior to this season. Designate up to 6 keepers, take the guys you designate through the first 6 rounds of draft, if you designate less, draft from remaining pool. 12 categories. (avg, runs, hr, rbi, sb, ops, wins, holds, saves, k's, era, whip)

As it stands, the following are my biggest this season:
Drafting Dan Uggla in the 3rd Round
Drafting Carlos Santana in the 5th Round (although he's turning it around)
Dropping RA Dickey after a spot start (May 21)
Dropping Hiroki Kuroda (May 28)

The 2nd Base position being an absolute disaster saved me to some extent. But I've been in first place since the 2nd week of the season and haven't relinquished my lead. I'm 8.5 games in front of 2nd place, and 24 games in front of the first guy out of the playoffs. Really looking forward to getting Morrow and J. Santana back. Also, Beachy made me really sad when he went down. Could probably have been leading by a lot more.
skones
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby cordscords » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:48 pm

Dropped Trout on April 14th. The biggest of many this season.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 156)

Postby Padsin05 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:15 am

somehow I am still in second place, so not really that big of mistakes.

before the season, I turned down his Kinsler and Mccutchen for my Cano and Bailey

before the season, I turned down his Trout and Reyes for my Hanley and Cuddyer (2b)

I made up for it with some solid trades though

in season, I gave Mccann and Kendrick for Molina and Phillips
in season, I gave Cano for Beltran, Kinsler, Freese and Nathan
in season, I gave Hosmer for Gardner (I consider that a win by process of elimination of a .230 10/10 hitter) who I then was able to plug Laroche and E5 in full time
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby ichirosan » Wed Aug 08, 2012 9:56 am

The three I recall the most:

After the first season of my 20-man H2H dynasty league, I didn't keep Shin-Soo Choo to keep the one and only Joey Devine because he was supposed to be the closer for the A's. I have punted saves in that league for 4 solid years.

In my other dynasty league, I drafted Adrián González. He was the best value by far, but I already had Pujols, so when I got the chance, I traded him for Carl Crawford. Then I was killing the league in SBs, I started shopping Crawford, and in return got Manny... who got suspended WHILE THE TRADE WAS PENDING. Somehow, still got 2nd that year, and then the league folded, but my future looked pretty bleak in almost any of the scenarios.

And finally, last season, in one of the RCLs, I got Napoli, in like the 16th round. However, when he got injured, I dumped him because my DL spot was already taken, only to see him get picked up and go on a tear two weeks later. This was only even more maddening because the exact same thing happened the previous year and I didn't learn anything. And when I finally did, this year, with Jesús Montero, got stuck with a pile of crap.
ichirosan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 16)

Postby Ellsberries » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:43 pm

Mine was not grabbing Vogelsong from waivers when his owner unwisely dropped him. Also, if Friers keeps rolling, he'll be my mistake for not grabbing him.
Ellsberries
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 16)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:28 pm

Hasn't been a huge mistake, but I'm kicking myself for dropping Adam LaRoche earlier this year. He started to cool off for a bit, and I figured he was done...I was wrong.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 135)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:28 pm

I havent had a good fantasy baseball season this year in any league, but of the 4 leagues, my biggest honest mistake was not keeping Aroldis Chapman. He was a prospect last year but I had to keep him on active roster or lose him this year. As he was not even guaranteed a starting or closing spot on the ML roster at the time, I had to let him go. Instead, I kept Shields, Beckett, C Lewis and Santos.

I also had the biggest mistake draft of my fantasy baseball career this season. First five picks: Pujols, Holliday, Lincecum, Weeks, BJ Upton. Also drafted: Soria, Bell, Farnsworth (to make up for Soria). In my defense, I stuck to my guns after having 21 points in the 16-team roto in mid-May, and after 10 weeks I finally crawled out of last place. But April was so horrendous there is no chance of getting into the top half of the league.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers