Your biggest fantasy mistake - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Your biggest fantasy mistake

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Your biggest fantasy mistake

Postby lotsofluck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:27 am

I want to ask everyone out there, what was your biggest mistake? A bad trade, not keeping a player, etc.

I ask this because after looking through draft results from my keeper league that someone had not kept Mike Trout. He only kept 8 keepers and could have had a maximum of 10. He is still in first place but imagine how much further ahead he could be if he had Trout instead of Cameron Maybin. 14 owners had picks before Trout was drafted in round 11.
They were: Jeter, Chris Young (my pick %-6 :~( ), Beltran, Lind, Beachy, Ichiro, A. Bailey, Lo-Mo, Ackley, Morrow, J. Montero, Maybin, Freeman, and Hudson.

Just curious.
lotsofluck
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Your biggest fantasy mistake

Postby juliown1028 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:51 am

This season, not really a mistake, but just bad luck...

A guy in my league after the first 2 weeks, offered me:
His Adrian Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz for my Mike Napoli and Justin Upton

But I tested his limits and countered with:
His Adrian Gonzalez and Nelson Cruz for my Mike Napoli and Andrew McCutchen

Unfortunately that didn't exactly turn out as planned.
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby OBPlover » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:58 am

Those really aren't fantasy mistakes IMHO.

Noone could have predicted Mike Trout would emerge so fast or that Upon would fall off a cliff.

A mistake isn't bad luck. A mistake is when you say "I should have known better" If you traded Albert Pujols for someone mediocre because you were frustrated by June, then that was a mistake.

I made some mistakes.

My first mistake was not taking a closer in my NL only auction league. They might seem pretty surprising considering how bad closers have been this year. I figured there would be some new closers..and I was right... but I was too slow on the FA market and Santiago Castilla got gobbled up. So I guess in short, I didn't pay enough attentiion.

The second mistake was just being an emotional idiot and ignoring some of my rules. For example, I have a rule that I don't draft players in the first 5 rounds unless they have a solid 3 year history. And then like a jerk, in my 3rd overall pick AL only - I take Eric Hosmer. Mostly because of all the hype surrounding him. Every other post on Yahoo was "Hosmer is the greatest". Then Yahoo posts after spring training "DO YOU THINK HOSMER IS READY FOR THE SEASON" and pumps him up after his amazing spring training.

Don't listen to hype.
Don't punt categories.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 118)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 am

Pre-Season I traded Andrew McCutchen in the final year of his contract for Desmond Jennings and Mike Minor both on 3-year possible deals.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Philly_05 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:31 am

Can my entire draft be a mistake? X-I

After all the keepers I ended up picking these players in the first 10 rounds of the draft. Ubaldo Jimenez, Brian Wilson, Brandon League, Addison Reed, John Mayberry Jr, Tim Hudson, James Paxton, Fernando Salas and Denard Span. Only Jimenez, Reed, Hudson and Paxton remain on my team. No idea why I still have Jimenez just hoping it comes back I guess.

Biggest player mistake was dropping Matt Harrison. He was cut on April 25th so I picked him up. But then he played horrible the entire time I cut him on May 24th for Andy Pettitte who is now on the DL. He is a top 25th SP so far this season in our league. For a team lacking pitching it would be nice to have him.
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 635)

Postby chargerss24 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:16 pm

Mine tops all yours.

I traded Mike Trout (when he was first called up and started poorly) and Shelby Miller for Hanley Ramirez. I was sitting second in my 12-team league and with a chance to repeat as league champ. Now, I'm sitting in fifth. :~(
C-Doumit, Salty
1B- Fielder
2B-Pedroia
SS-Reyes
3B-Longoria
CI- Morneau
MI- Kipnis
OF- Myers Jennings Heyward
U- Ellsbury, B. Upton, Bruce

SP-Price Fernandez Miller Wheeler, Kluber
RP-Grilli, Farquhar, Crow, Veras
chargerss24
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby KingOfSports » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:29 pm

I declined a trade that would have gotten me Trout and sent away Chris Young (OF)...granted it was the first week of the season, but still. There were others players involved but I don't remember them, nor do I want to lol.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby striderex » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:40 pm

Drafted trout in my last round on a partial keeper and then dropped him a couple of weeks in cause closers were getting injured :-t
striderex
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Saltydog » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:58 pm

Longoria in the first round. Still in a fight for 2nd and outside shot at the top.
Saltydog
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 143)

Postby jfg » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:00 pm

In a league where we keep only 3 offensive players I didn't even put a waiver claim in on Trout and Harper when I had #1 priority because I wouldn't have had a chance to keep them. That was a mistake on two levels: The obvious one, and also that it really didn't matter if I kept them or not, at least they would have entered the draft giving me better choices when it came to my pick.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers