Looking for the championship! What has to change on my team? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Looking for the championship! What has to change on my team?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Looking for the championship! What has to change on my team?

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:28 pm

I'm currently in first place in my league for the past few weeks now, and with the deadline coming up in two weeks (August 19) I'm looking to make some early deals to hopefully get a bigger lead on the second, third and fourth teams that are all within 6 games of me.

8 Team Head-to-Head Yahoo League- R,H,HR,RBI,SB,K,E,XBH,IP,W,SV,K,ERA
C-Mauer(1B)
1B-Encarnation(3B)
2B-Kipnis
3B-D. Wright
SS-Bonifacio(2B,3B,OF)
OF-Kemp
OF-Braun
OF-Holliday
Utility-Lawrie(3B)
Utility-Pedroia(2B)
Bench-Hosmer(1B)
DL-Desmond(SS)
SP-Weaver
SP-Strasburg
SP-Wainwright
SP-Shields
RP-Motte
RP-n/a
Bench-Lohse
Bench-Kuroda
DL-Morrow

So what I'm looking to do immediately is deal away Strasburg for as high of a return as possible. I'd like to get another top pitcher in return for sure.

Other things I've been looking to do:
1. Deal Kipnis or Pedroia (preferably Kipnis)
2. Either trade Hosmer in a package with Kipnis and/or Strasburg, or drop him for a closer
3. Get an above average closer
4. Get Mike Trout (probably a stretch because the Trout owner said he wants at least Jered Weaver so most likely a no go)

What would you do with my team? Any advice with my roster or players I should target?

....and as always help me out and I'll help you out if you need
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Looking for the championship! What has to change on my t

Postby lotsofluck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:30 am

The only thing I would do is trade Hosmer and Strausburg to get another SP and a top closer. Otherwise I wouldn't touch a thing.
Your team is great.
Help with mine please?
viewtopic.php?t=451334
lotsofluck
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby dcmove2003 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:20 pm

I agree with trying to unload Strasburg. However, unless other owners are stupid, in a non-keeper league, his value declines with each start, so do your best to get another top starter, but don't expect it.

I also agree wtih trading either Pedroia or Kipnis to get a top RP or solid SP. i was actually going to suggest Pedroia b/c he has a lot more "brand" recognition which may inflate his value beyond his stats.

If you're able to stream pitchers, you can always rely on that strategy for IP, wins, and Ks. ERA and WHIP are hit or miss in those situations. I actually like a strategy of having your top 3-4 SPs and streaming all others day-to-day, while always filling every other active pitcher spot with the best relievers you can find (which are likely the top middle relievers/setup men). These guys have great WhIPs, ERAs, and might get you 3-4 innings/week and at 1-2 Ks per inning. Outside of wins, there totals can actually be very similar to having a bunch of starters who only sit on your bench except 1x per week.

I actually love the idea of going after Trout, and in a roto league, trading Weaver for Trout would be a no-brainer. I even think in a head-to-head league, this can be a good idea especially if you can a good SP for Strasburg and/or apply the streaming strategy mentioned above.

Can you help me (and specifically should I trade Longoria)?http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=451180
dcmove2003
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 68)

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:12 pm

dcmove2003 wrote:I agree with trying to unload Strasburg. However, unless other owners are stupid, in a non-keeper league, his value declines with each start, so do your best to get another top starter, but don't expect it.

I also agree wtih trading either Pedroia or Kipnis to get a top RP or solid SP. i was actually going to suggest Pedroia b/c he has a lot more "brand" recognition which may inflate his value beyond his stats.

If you're able to stream pitchers, you can always rely on that strategy for IP, wins, and Ks. ERA and WHIP are hit or miss in those situations. I actually like a strategy of having your top 3-4 SPs and streaming all others day-to-day, while always filling every other active pitcher spot with the best relievers you can find (which are likely the top middle relievers/setup men). These guys have great WhIPs, ERAs, and might get you 3-4 innings/week and at 1-2 Ks per inning. Outside of wins, there totals can actually be very similar to having a bunch of starters who only sit on your bench except 1x per week.

I actually love the idea of going after Trout, and in a roto league, trading Weaver for Trout would be a no-brainer. I even think in a head-to-head league, this can be a good idea especially if you can a good SP for Strasburg and/or apply the streaming strategy mentioned above.

Can you help me (and specifically should I trade Longoria)?http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=451180

What kind of closers and starters could I look at? I was thinking someone like Hanrahan or Kimbrel?

I should add that a week ago the last place team (40+ games back from me and has no hope to make the top 6 to make the playoffs) offered me his prince fielder cliff lee and hanrahan for hosmer kipnis axford and detwiler, so i accepted because im not going to refuse a gift like that, and as you could presume it got vetoed. so should i try to go for cliff lee and hanrahan for cheap like he's willing to do? i dont want to offer what i would do for a playoff team, but i want it to be decently fair so it doesn't get vetoed... what should i offer for those two? im having a hard time thinking of such a trade offer :-S
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:05 pm

So i was just given an offer of Holliday, Braun, Kemp and Strasburg for Melky, Dickey, CarGo and B.J. Upton..... I know I get a ton here, but should i be second guessing this offer as much as I am?

I'm seeing that Holliday is equal to CarGo or at least extremely close, Braun is close to Melky (I like Braun more here because I have one of the lowest HR totals in the league), Kemp and Upton I'm not even getting in to because that's obvious, and Strasburg is worse than the second best pitcher in the league in Dickey.

If I were to take this, I'd drop Upton when Morrow comes back in a week or so which leaves me an open OF spot, (I just dropped Bonifacio for Rutledge last night) and I'd drop Rutledge when Desmond comes back in the near future. So I'd be left with an open OF and RP roster spots instead of just RP like i have right now..... What do I do here???
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KingOfSports » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:26 pm

That offer is a joke...I really hope you weren't considering. Braun and Kemp are the 2 best OF in the NL not named McCutchen.

No way you give up Braun and Kemp in the same deal unless you're getting back a combination of Miguel Cabrera, Justin Verlander, and Andrew McCutchen.

Braun is highly more talented than Melky. Kemp destroys Upton.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO.
Last edited by KingOfSports on Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:02 pm

Perfect exactly what I was thinking! What's a reasonable counter for this? I was thinking CarGo Greinke and Papelbon for Strasburg Kipnis and Holliday or something like that?
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KingOfSports » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:22 pm

HoneyNutIchiros11 wrote:Perfect exactly what I was thinking! What's a reasonable counter for this? I was thinking CarGo Greinke and Papelbon for Strasburg Kipnis and Holliday or something like that?

That deal works out much better for you.

CarGo and Holliday are very close in talent. Cargo gets you SB though for slightly less power stats.

I'd take Greinke over Strasburg as who knows what they're going to do with Stephen's inning cap. Kipnis has been hitting .233 over the past 36 days so it seems like he's dropping fast.

If you can get that deal, go for it.
KingOfSports
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby HoneyNutIchiros11 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:44 pm

Thanks! I appreciate the advice!

Any thoughts from anyone else??
HoneyNutIchiros11
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BADAMS4 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:33 am

Your team is solid up and down!!! Your going to need a shortstop for the time being.. with Boni going on the Dl again.. I would say look at Danny Espanosa he has been a solid replacement for me when Ian went down, he has some pop, gets on base and will steel bases.. that's really your only flaw.. but solid up and down.. I am jealous.. can you help me!?

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2
BADAMS4
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Next

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team