8/1 Cheering, Venting, & New Uniforms For Everyone!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

8/1 Cheering, Venting, & New Uniforms For Everyone!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

8/1 Cheering, Venting, & New Uniforms For Everyone!!

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:01 am

ImageImage
And that's basically what they did. Hey Shane Victorino, you're on the next flight to Hollywood. Make sure you Purell up after shaking Magic Johnson's hand. Hunter Pence? Yea, you head to San Francisco. Oh, and leave all your fantasy value here, please. You won't be needing it where you're going. Remember how bad it sucked playing in Houston? Well it's pretty close to that but your new team can pitch at least. Victorino looks to be the new leadoff hitter for the Dodgers, while Pence should settle somewhere into the middle third of the Gigantes' batting order. What this means for either of them over the remainder of the season is still uncertain, but if I'm a Hunter Pence owner I'm livid, while if I'm a Victorino owner I'm at least cautiously optimistic. He could really go either direction, and his Home/Road splits this year indicate that leaving Citizens may not hurt his value at all, so he could potentially see a rise in value; especially if Hanley, Kemp, and Ethier do their thing behind him. Pence, though? Good luck convincing me of that. At the end of the day neither of these teams are any good still.

In another fantasy value sapping deal, Jonathan Broxton was shipped to Cincinnati to become 3rd? 4th? 5th? in line for Saves. That sound you hear are people dropping him left and right and speculatively adding Greg Holland and Aaron Crow, hoping they make the right choice for Saves in Kansas City (Editor's Note: Ned Yost named Holland closer). In real baseball news, the Reds have a beast bullpen and seem to be primed to make a run at the National League.

In the world of trades nobody gives a rat's ass about, the Blue Jays brought in two more relievers suitable for pitching in the 5th inning for former can't miss left fielders of the future, Travis Snider and Marcus Thames. As I mentioned yesterday, it's nice to know at least that you've got a reliable arm to turn to when Ricky Romero is yanked after pitching four and a third and you're down by a half dozen runs. Go Canada! For fact sake, the relievers Toronto received in return were Brad Lincoln, and a guy I've either never heard of or whose name escapes me right now because he isn't relevant enough for me to care. Go Canada!

Reports were yesterday that Denard Span nixed a deal that would have sent him to the MLB best record holding Cincinnati Reds. Which begs the question: what are players' deals this year? Is it me, or is it ridiculous for a player to turn down a deal sending him from a team receiving the metaphorical MLB bukkake from the rest of the league to one of the teams on the shooting end of it? First Ryan Dempster refuses Atlanta, and now Denard Span says no to Cinci? What are these schmucks allergic to winning? Afraid of pressure? You don't need to move your entire family and pull your kids from school. It's three months. Get your lives together, and the sand out of your vaginas. What are they giving out free blowies in Minnesota and Chicago so that players are dying to stay there and lose four times a week? Apparently Dempster changed his tune, however, as he was dealt to the Texas Rangers just moments before the deadline transpired. Some fantasy owners may be excited about the Win potential, but the prospect of switching from the NL to the AL, and landing in a God awful ballpark for pitchers would likely have me cringing if I owned this guy, especially knowing what a vagine he is after nixing that Atlanta deal last week.

The new heart of the Astros lineup is a testament to why you never bank on prospects. Still, it's never late to achieve post-hype status, which is exactly what Brett Wallace and Steve Pearce are hoping for. In deeper leagues, it's worth taking a look, as just about anybody with potential for RBI opportunities deserves consideration. In limited time, Wallace has bat .300, and with literally not a soul behind him, he should start at 1B every day for the rest of the season. As for Pearce, he's dual eligible at 1B and OF, which doesn't hurt. He's starting in RF, batting in the money third spot, and went 3-for-7 with a Run and 3 RBI in his first 2 starts in that hole. In all likelihood, these guys remain Waiver Wire fodder, but there's a reason they were once highly touted, and now that they've been given afforded promised playing time, and in a good situation, they could surprise owners pleasantly, regardless of how bad their team is. At worst they should be on your Watch List.

And one more thing... remember on April 10th when David Freese had already hit 3 HR and people were hopping on his johnson like there was free money coming out of it, about how he definitely was going to hit 30 this year after his hot playoff run last year, and blah blah freakin' blah? Dude has 15. He's going to hit 20, just like I postulated in April. I'm not usually a chest beater, but people were getting all over me about not jumping on the Freese bandwagon a week and a half into the season when he was 'clearly' going to jack 30 bombs this year. Yeah. Settle down. Back to your holes. Guy's having a real nice year, but a 30 HR bat he is not. He hit 5 in June and July combined. Sell him if you can to a team desperate for a 3B. He's not even this good. Yeah I said it.

I hate you all.
Love,
bigh0rt

Today's Matchups:

BAL: Britton (1-0, 5.74 ERA)
NYY: Hughes (10-8, 4.08 ERA)

NYM: Niese (7-5, 3.86 ERA)
SF: Cain (10-3, 2.80 ERA)

CHW: Peavy (8-7, 3.15 ERA)
MIN: Diamond (9-4, 2.88 ERA)

HOU: Lyles (2-7, 5.54 ERA)
MIL: Fiers (4-4, 1.77 ERA)

TB: Cobb (4-8, 4.93 ERA)
OAK: Parker (7-4, 3.38 ERA)

PIT: Karstens (3-2, 3.88 ERA)
CHC: Wood (4-6, 4.98 ERA)

DET: Porcello (7-6, 4.56 ERA)
BOS: Cook (2-4, 4.50 ERA)

ARI: Collmenter (3-2, 4.13 ERA)
LAD: Fife (0-0, 1.46 ERA)

LAA: Richards (3-2, 3.91 ERA)
TEX: Darvish (11-7, 4.05 ERA)

PHI: Worley (5-6, 3.88 ERA)
WSH: Jackson (6-6, 3.52 ERA)

CLE: McAllister (4-2, 3.18 ERA)
KC: Mendoza (4-7, 4.47 ERA)

MIA: LeBlanc (1-1, 1.15 ERA)
ATL: Sheets (3-0, 0.50 ERA)

TOR: Villanueva (6-0, 2.92 ERA)
SEA: Beavan (6-6, 5.20 ERA)

SD: Wells (2-3, 3.82 ERA)
CIN: Arroyo (6-6, 3.76 ERA)

STL: Westbrook (9-8, 3.61 ERA)
COL: Pomeranz (1-6, 4.99 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 8/1 Cheering, Venting, & New Uniforms For Everyone!!

Postby RedHopeful » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:50 am

Good post Hort, especially about the players nixing deals. In the NBA, players beg, cry and whine to get traded to one of the top teams but MLB boys don't care? Guess it shows the difference in priorities among a number of them.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby snash » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:12 pm

Some are allergic to winning. <sneeeeeeeze>

Freese...boy I was right about him when all the other 3B were off the board. But I have to admit...I was disillusioned about his April and May and were wishing for 5 HR a month, not half that rate. With that said, I do think he'll hit .300.
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby kab21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:54 pm

Nice rant but Span doesn't have a no trade clause. I don't think the Reds/Twins were very close to making a deal happen.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:19 pm

kab21 wrote:Nice rant but Span doesn't have a no trade clause. I don't think the Reds/Twins were very close to making a deal happen.
So you're saying John Kruk isn't a credible source? !+)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Re: 8/1 Cheering, Venting, & New Uniforms For Everyone

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:57 pm

McGahee to NYY?
Did I miss that one?
Guys been swinging a decent stick lately, and is a logical replacement for ARod.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:00 pm

Zach Britton is just dreadful.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Re: 8/1 Cheering, Venting, & New Uniforms For Everyone!!

Postby wrveres » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:50 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Zach Britton is just dreadful.

I hope you didn't start him
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:09 pm

Stupid Angel Pagan. I need Votto to hurry up and heal before my lead disappears.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:11 pm

David Dejesus plays like he is trying out for the South Korea badminton team. Either them or the Cubs, they both look like they are trying to lose.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers