Post-Deadline Waiver Trade/Rumor Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Post-Deadline Waiver Trade/Rumor Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Post-Deadline Waiver Trade/Rumor Thread

Postby RedHopeful » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:01 pm

Blanton on the move to the LAD and supposedly someone claimed Cliff Lee.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:06 pm

RedHopeful wrote:Blanton on the move to the LAD and supposedly someone claimed Cliff Lee.
SI just posted an article about Blanton.

PHILADELPHIA (AP) Right-hander Joe Blanton has been traded to the Dodgers after Los Angeles claimed him on waivers.

Blanton will join outfielder Shane Victorino, who was sent from the Phillies to Los Angeles on Tuesday. Philadelphia also dealt outfielder Hunter Pence to San Francisco earlier this week.

The 31-year-old Blanton is 8-9 with a 4.59 ERA in 20 starts and one relief appearance. He is making $8.5 million and, like Victorino, can become a free agent after the season.

Philadelphia will receive a player to be named or cash as part of Friday's trade. To fill the roster spot, the Phillies recalled right-hander B.J. Rosenberg from Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Where'd you hear that (about Lee)? This is the last thing I saw re:Cliff Lee on MLBTR...

Phillies left-hander Cliff Lee has been claimed on waivers, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports (on Twitter). The Phillies can now pull Lee back off of waivers, assign his contract to the team that won the claim, or work a trade out with the claiming team. Lee can block trades and claims to 21 teams, which could limit the Phillies' flexibility, depending on the identity of the claiming team.

The team(s) that claimed Lee showed a willingness to take on approximately $95MM in future commitments. Lee earns $21.5MM in 2012 and $25MM per season through 2015. His contract includes a $27.5MM vesting option for 2016 with a $12.5MM buyout. If the Phillies can assign Lee to the claiming team without his permission, they will now have to decide whether they value Lee's performance more than the flexibility they'd obtain by letting him go. If multiple teams claimed Lee, National League teams have priority over American League teams.

Lee, who turns 34 this month, has a 3.73 ERA with 8.5 K/9 and 1.7 BB/9 in 125 1/3 innings so far this year. He has averaged seven innings per start and contributed 2.7 wins above replacement, according to FanGraphs.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:29 pm

It would not be a surprise to see somebody claim Cliff Lee. Probably a lot of teams did (although only one team gets negotiating rights). It wasn't that long ago that we were speculating what they could get in a trade for him... of course somebody is willing to take on his salary. The question is, do the Phillies want to flat-out let him go for nothing? My guess is that no, no they don't. It'll be interesting to see who put the claim in, and whether or not they have any interest in trading for him.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby footballisbetter.com » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:06 pm

Cliff Lee was claimed by an undisclosed team, but the Phillies pulled him back.

Source: Jon Heyman
Aug 03, 2012 / 4:40 PM EST
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby StlSluggers » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:02 pm

footballisbetter.com wrote:Cliff Lee was claimed by an undisclosed team, but the Phillies pulled him back.

Source: Jon Heyman
Aug 03, 2012 / 4:40 PM EST

They can still chat with the team that claimed him, work out a deal, and then waive him again (irrevocably), right?
StlSluggers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Location: Parking in the gov't bldg @ 7th and Pine. It's only $3.00 on game day!

Postby Grounded Polo » Fri Aug 03, 2012 7:24 pm

I'd love to see Cliff Lee in LA, they're building a great team overnight and gets him out of my division.
Grounded Polo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby ayebatter » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:29 pm

"Dodgers Awarded Claiming Rights On Cliff Lee
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [August 3, 2012 at 5:16pm CST]

5:16pm: The Dodgers were awarded Lee's claiming rights, tweets Jon Morosi of FOX Sports. This means that all NL teams with a record worse than the Dodgers' 56-50 mark (every NL team except the Reds, Nationals, Pirates, Braves, Giants and Cardinals) first passed on Lee."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/08/c ... ivers.html
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1299)

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:41 pm

Amaro says it's irrelevant who put in a claim on Lee, because he isn't going anwhere.

In other news, Derek Lowe has been DFA'd by the Cleveland Indians, a team that would rather take their chances trotting Corey Kluber out there every 5 days. I know what you're thinking, and yes... the Cubs are interested. They want are "looking into what it would take to acquire" him, to which I assume the answer is simply the willingness to forego any chance at winning baseball games. Seems like a match.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby converge241 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Kelly Shoppach to Mets for PTBNL

Could be a nice pickup in NL only/2 catcher/deep deep mixed leagues down the stretch
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers