Fantasy team in absolute disarray - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Fantasy team in absolute disarray

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy team in absolute disarray

Postby mlymon77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:41 am

10 team league - H2H points. My team started the season 4-0. Since then, my team has fallen apart, especially through injuries. Now, I have healthy players like Asdrubal Cabrera and Hunter Pence heavily underperforming. Can anyone help me determine what players to put on the trading block, which ones to just drop, which likely-free agents to look at, etc.? I'm having a miserable time trying to get back in the win column.

C - Carlos Ruiz
1B - Anthony Rizzo
2B - Aaron Hill
3B - David Freese
SS - Asdrubal Cabrera
LF - Melky Cabrera
CF - Andrew McCutchen
RF - Hunter Pence
Util - Miguel Montero
BN - Michael Young
DL - Pablo Sandoval

SP - Justin Verlander
SP - Kyle Lohse
SP - Matt Harrison
RP - Huston Street
P - Matt Moore
P - Ian Kennedy
P - Wandy Rodriguez
P - Derek Holland
BN - Tommy Milone
BN - Jarrod Parker
BN - Roy Oswalt
DL - Brandon Morrow

Thanks for any help provided!
mlymon77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy team in absolute disarray

Postby The Thrill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:56 pm

Knowing your H2H cats and points values will help. Your team doesn't actually look that bad on the surface. But generally speaking....

Teams tend to be attrached to offense and young players that might break out. See if you can use that to your advantage.

You don't need 2 catchers and Montero will bring you a better return (and I don't see Ruiz's value dropping this season, so you're fine to keep Ruiz). Do you have a higher ranking team that is just missing a catcher to put them over the top? If so, feel free to capitalize on that and let them know they're only a catcher away from being the elite team. Then try to ask for slightly higher value since catcher is a premium position. You could try to package your catcher with Hill to get a significant upgrade at 2B (Ian Kinsler comes to mind as his value is down a little bit lately - but that might be a reach to land Kinsler). Or you could even package him with Cabrera and try to land a more solid SS (Hanley Ramirez maybe).

Rizzo might be able to be traded as well right now. Maybe. In regard to Rizzo I don't know that you have to be proactive to trade him necessarily. But you can let folks know you're listening to offers and go from there.

Oswalt is likely not worth owning in your league, but give him another shot (he's got a start coming up) and then judge from there. Holland can be dropped as needed.

Milone is likely a fringe player too. Maybe can package him for a better SP. Lohse I'm indifferent on. If someone wants him, I'd trade him. But I certainly wouldn't give him away. But he likely has decent trade value right now.

And it's a tough call on Moore and Kennedy. Either they're finally turning the corner and you'll be fine with them for the rest of the season, or their perceived value is at a point that now is a good time to trade them. If you trade one of them, I'd trade Kennedy. Simply because he pitches in Arizona which is less of a pitcher's park than Seattle.

I'd keep Jarrod Parker for now personally. And I'd keep Wandy as well.

Don't let anyone try to pry away McCutchen or Verlander. Stick with them. Best you try to find an elite player yourself to add to the bunch. Specifically I'd target elite hitting if you can.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby The Thrill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:02 pm

Oh, and if you're trying to find out the value of players (not sure what league source you're playing in), use baseballmonster.com. From that site you can plop in your league settings and get a better idea of the present value of your players. Then it's just a matter of determining "who" will be play better the rest of the season. Always the tricky part.... :-D
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mlymon77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:46 pm

One of the top teams in my league desperately needs a catcher. He also has Starlin Castro at SS.
Would you suggest I offer Montero and Asdrubal Cabrera for Castro?
mlymon77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Thrill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:22 pm

Possibly, although I'm not sure that is quite enough of an upgrade at SS. Tough to say. What are the categories for scoring?
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mlymon77 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Runs: 1
RBI: 1
1B: 1
2B: 2
3B: 3
HR: 4
SB: 1
CS: -.5
Walk: .5
K: -1
GIDP: -1
mlymon77
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby The Thrill » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:04 pm

Cabrera doesn't seem to thrive under those categories after running a baseball monster analysis. Although, last season, of course he fared much better (go figure). Doesn't look like you'd be getting much (if any) of an upgrade in Castro over Montero. Would need to see if there's something else that could work out.

I'd try a 2-for-2 in this situation instead then. Castro and ????? for your Montero and Cabrera.
The Thrill
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions