Strategy suicide? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Strategy suicide?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy suicide?

Postby gatornuggets » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am

Ok, so I am new to fantasy baseball but I have come to realize that my SP squad is just not going to cut it in the playoffs. I am currently in line to get one of the 4 playoff spots but really no thanks to K's, W's, ERA, or WHIP. I win those categories once in a while if I get lucky.

My offense has been what has carried me this year.

I was wondering what you guys think about trading away my SP for top RP and offense. My thinking is that I will surrender wins and most likely K's. But, should be able to win WHIP, ERA, and saves. I usually dominate in the saves category. So that leaves me with a good chance to win 3 out of the 5 pitching categories. As opposed to hoping to get lucky with favorable match-ups and wins during the playoffs.

Here is my roster:

Joe Mauer
Mark Trumbo
Ian Kinsler
Chase Headley
Starlin Castro
Ryan Roberts
Paul Konerko
Nick Swisher
Desmond Jennings
Colby Rasmus
Justin Upton
Starling Marte
Mike Trout
Adam LaRoche
Ian Desmond (just picked up for playoff run)
Jose Bautista

Cole Hamels
Ryan Dempster
AJ Burnett
Matt Moore
Clay Buchholz
Jarrod Parker
Jonathan Papelbon
Alfredo Aceves
Rafael Soriano
Tyler Clippard

Is this strategy suicide?

PS ESPN standard 10 team mixed league
gatornuggets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Strategy suicide?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

I'm surprised that you are saying you aren't getting that much production out of your pitching. Your staff actually looks pretty good to me. I would sooner try to trade for a top end starter to solidify the rotation and try to win some of those pitching categories than to tank 2 cats from the very beginning. With the strategy you're suggesting, it is still very far from a guarantee that you'll win ERA and/or WHIP. You will have a low number of IP for the week, so with one bad outing from a reliever, you could be in big trouble.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mayor quimby » Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:51 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:I'm surprised that you are saying you aren't getting that much production out of your pitching. Your staff actually looks pretty good to me. I would sooner try to trade for a top end starter to solidify the rotation and try to win some of those pitching categories than to tank 2 cats from the very beginning. With the strategy you're suggesting, it is still very far from a guarantee that you'll win ERA and/or WHIP. You will have a low number of IP for the week, so with one bad outing from a reliever, you could be in big trouble.

Exactly. I've thought about this strategy before and it just doesn't work. If one of your closers yields a few bases or gives up a few runs, now you've ruined your chance in 4 catagories as opposed to potentially competing in all 5.

Trade one of your bats and one of your lower tier pitchers for a top tier pitcher.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby StealingHome » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:35 pm

I agree with the other recommendations. Moore seems to be coming around. Don't start Parker on the road. The rest of your staff is good. Pitching is volatile; don't worry about a bad start here or there. How many moves can you make a week? Consider dropping one of your non-starting position players (Marte, I'm guessing), and pick up another decent looking starting pitcher with favorable matchups that week. There should be players like that available in a 10-team league. You cold also consider trading one of your RP's and another player for an SP. Clippard is the most likely to lose his job (to Storen) or just wear out. The Nats bullpen is getting used a lot.
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Postby gatornuggets » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I think you guys are right. Running this strategy for a whole season and looking at average performances might be alright but too risky for playoffs.

I ended up dropping Parker for Homer Bailey and Ryan Roberts for Edinson Volquez. Both decent two start options and Bailey has been good as of late.

What do you think of offering Dempster and Swisher for David Price?
gatornuggets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby gatornuggets » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Just acquired David Price for Swisher and Clippard. Also got Frank Francisco in the deal. That should help my pitching stats. His schedule isn't ideal going forward but he has shown the ability to dominate in the AL East.
gatornuggets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Re: Strategy suicide?

Postby garf112 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:08 am

gatornuggets wrote:Just acquired David Price for Swisher and Clippard. Also got Frank Francisco in the deal. That should help my pitching stats. His schedule isn't ideal going forward but he has shown the ability to dominate in the AL East.

Robbery.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby gatornuggets » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:10 am

Must've been a Yankee fan. Got another guy in my league with a hard on for the Sox. Trouble is, he doesn't have anyone that I want to deal for. Ha
gatornuggets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby StealingHome » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:22 am

gatornuggets wrote:Just acquired David Price for Swisher and Clippard. Also got Frank Francisco in the deal. That should help my pitching stats. His schedule isn't ideal going forward but he has shown the ability to dominate in the AL East.

Good trade. Nice job.
StealingHome
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 10)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions