J-Zimm: The unsung hero of the Nat's rotation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

J-Zimm: The unsung hero of the Nat's rotation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: J-Zimm: The unsung hero of the Nat's rotation

Postby mayor quimby » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:13 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
pretty sure i could strike out 11 astros.

He's the only one to do it this month...it's easy to throw jabs at the Stros, they're awful...but don't act like putting up that line is an easy thing to do. Not to mention he had only 87 pitches thrown so he still likely had another inning or two in him if it really mattered.

it's silly to point out a single data point against a terrible team to try to prove a point instead of the last 300 or so innings he's pitched. I don't even necessarily agree that his K rate won't increase, but I'll take jabs at that any day.

It's funny you say "the last 300 or so innings he's pitched." The last 300 or so innings he has pitched have been nothing but stellar. Around a 2.80 ERA and around a 1.10 WHIP. Tonight's start was just another dollop of icing on the cake.

It's not silly to point something like this out. When Verlander strikes out 10 against the Mariners, my reaction is always: "wow, Verlander's done it again." Not: "well whatever it was against the Mariners so it doesn't count."

This thread has been based on arguing whether or not Zimmermann will hit inevitable regression, so to point out one of his best, if not his BEST start of the year, is hardly silly.

Shall i apply your very principles to the perfect game that one, Matt Cain threw against the ASTROS, Mr. Giants Fan, hmm?
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:30 am

mayor quimby wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:
He's the only one to do it this month...it's easy to throw jabs at the Stros, they're awful...but don't act like putting up that line is an easy thing to do. Not to mention he had only 87 pitches thrown so he still likely had another inning or two in him if it really mattered.

it's silly to point out a single data point against a terrible team to try to prove a point instead of the last 300 or so innings he's pitched. I don't even necessarily agree that his K rate won't increase, but I'll take jabs at that any day.

It's funny you say "the last 300 or so innings he's pitched." The last 300 or so innings he has pitched have been nothing but stellar. Around a 2.80 ERA and around a 1.10 WHIP. Tonight's start was just another dollop of icing on the cake.

It's not silly to point something like this out. When Verlander strikes out 10 against the Mariners, my reaction is always: "wow, Verlander's done it again." Not: "well whatever it was against the Mariners so it doesn't count."

This thread has been based on arguing whether or not Zimmermann will hit inevitable regression, so to point out one of his best, if not his BEST start of the year, is hardly silly.

Shall i apply your very principles to the perfect game that one, Matt Cain threw against the ASTROS, Mr. Giants Fan, hmm?

Apparently your reading comprehension isn't the best because nothing you said actually responds to the point I made. I never said Zimmermann hadn't been stellar over the last 300 innings he's pitched. I was making reference to his strikeout rate during that time being a much better indicator of his strikeout ability than a single game against anyone, especially a team as bad as the astros. obviously the game counts, but only when you combine it with all the other games he's pitched over the last few years.

you can say that someone has "done it again" or had an excellent outing without using it to imply that he's better at something than he is. I'm not gonna look at Phillip Humber and say he threw a perfect game so he must be an awesome pitcher because I can look at everything else he's done over the last two years and tell that he's not that awesome. I also wouldn't say Matt Cain is awesome because he threw a perfect game, I would say Matt Cain is awesome because he has been awesome for the last seven or so years. the perfect game was just an single point of awesome within his greater awesomeness.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 425)

Postby mayor quimby » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:54 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:Apparently your reading comprehension isn't the best

Wow dude, get over yourself... that's pathetic.

And if your only gripe in this thread is Zimmermann's k/9 not meeting up to your standards, his career k/9 is 7.4, Matt Cain's is 7.5...

Don't weigh in on something before you have your ideas together or have any sense of them at all.

I'm done here. This is becoming childish.

And just out of curiosity, does the orange mean that you are a moderator here? If so, WOW.
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:15 am

mayor quimby wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:Apparently your reading comprehension isn't the best

Wow dude, get over yourself... that's pathetic.

And if your only gripe in this thread is Zimmermann's k/9 not meeting up to your standards, his career k/9 is 7.4, Matt Cain's is 7.5...

Don't weigh in on something before you have your ideas together or have any sense of them at all.

I'm done here. This is becoming childish.

And just out of curiosity, does the orange mean that you are a moderator here? If so, WOW.

i'm not the one who doesn't have his ideas together, you just can't seem to respond to the point i'm actually making. i never said that zimmermann's k/9 was not up to my standards. i was simply responding to the fact that you seem to think that tonight's game proved some sort of point about his overall strikeout ability.
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby J35J » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:50 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

I won't disagree with any of that...I just took offense to you saying you could strike out 11 Astros...when clearly you could probably only strike out 5 or 6 of them.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby NikkiSixx » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:55 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:
J35J wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

It doesnt matter what team it is, he struck out 11 major league hitters in 6 innings (He actually didnt record any strikeouts in the first inning, so technically it was 11 in 5 innings). These are major league players capable of playing at this level and winning games. the line he put up was incredibly impressive, and helps prove that he CAN be a strikeout pitcher if needed.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:19 pm

NikkiSixx wrote:and winning games

that point is up for debate
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

Postby Pochucker » Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:29 pm

I can hardly believe im writing this but in my big money league I am giving him early consideration as next yrs keeper. (keep one player drafted in 10th or later round or FA for one year). As others have said his consistency has been unbelievable. In a h2h league its money in the bank. Of course I also have Moustakas/Altuve/Kubel and Rutledge to consider
Pochucker
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby RedHopeful » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Yeah. What. A. DUD!
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner