MiLB'ers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

MiLB'ers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MiLB'ers

Postby downinflames » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:59 pm

how does your keeper/auction league handle prospects? we want to incorporate this, but can't seem to lock down how to handle the situation when that player is called up to and is on a big league roster. we use yahoo. we've pretty much decided that we'll have 2 or 3 prospects on each roster. they'll be drafted at the end of the auction every year. you can keep your prospect year to year (until he's a big leaguer). so, like trout this year. he would've been on someone's prospect roster (not on active Yahoo roster). so when he came up, what if that manager didn't want to activate him, for whatever reason. should there be a rule that you have to add them to your Yahoo roster within a certain time frame of being called up?

do you use the MLB Rookie status as the benchmark of if they qualify or not?
downinflames
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MiLB'ers

Postby bigmck » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:03 pm

MLB rookie status is the way most designate a rookie. == There has to be some time limit for a minor leaguer that has been promoted to majors but a manager wants to keep him on the minor league roster. I wouldn't make it too long. If a manager doesn't promote him, the player then becomes a free agent for any other team.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:30 pm

We have no limit for how long a player can be kept as a prospect. Even the player no longer qualifies as a rookie, he can still be a prospect for a team. The way I figure it, that team is only wasting the prospect spot.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby converge241 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:30 pm

I just use 9/1 every year as the breaker for eligibility

if a guy on your minor league roster plays before 9/1 of the current year you have to promote him to your major league roster/keepers by the offseason at the latest (can call him up earlier if you think he would help you as well of course)

If a guy gets one of the roster expansion callups 9/1 and after hes safe for the offseason and the next season until he should happen to play before 9/1 of that upcoming year or years

its a bit of a hard line in the sand but makes it easy for everyone to track
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Goatrider » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:23 pm

We have a four team Farm System. You can keep a prospect in the minors until they break the MLB Rookie Eligibility limit. Equal to or less than 130 AB or 50 IP. I believe this to be one of the most usual approaches. It also adds a little strategy on bringing a guy up. Example, I was out of the running last year and kept Rizzo in the minors. He only had 128 Ab, so I activated him this year on a Zero Year contract.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Return to Commissioner's Corner