Streaming the Production of a Second-Round Pick - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Streaming the Production of a Second-Round Pick

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Streaming the Production of a Second-Round Pick

Postby WebHamster » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:26 am

This is the culmination of the series of articles on players worth owning. To review, the thesis is that through streaming of freely available players, astute owners can take advantage of more at-bats and better matchups, surpassing the production of all but the most elite hitters in standard leagues. Unless you have a .300-hitting, 34-home [...]

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... _final.php
WebHamster
Service Robot
Service Robot

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 802)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Streaming the Production of a Second-Round Pick

Postby thatguy27 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:37 pm

Very cool write up, and one that I think deserves a lot more love, attention, and discussion than it is generating. I think we should discuss it here rather than in the feedback section for the article itself. I'm going to do all I can to convince4 my league to drop the moves limitations (max 4 moves per week plus $1 per move past 42 on the season--the extra money then goes into the winners pot and is divvied out accordingly) so that I can employ something like this next season. Spend the bulk of my money on 3 or 4 top 15 players, actively work the wire to find diamonds in the rough, and stream at least 2 to 3 positions on a daily/weekly basis.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 42)

Postby thatguy27 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:40 pm

The other thing I did want to mention is that I do think to do something like this, an owner would have to put in his due diligence. I'm thinking it would require at least 2 to 3 extra hours/week of work depending of course on how many leagues an owner is in. But I for one would be more than happy to put in that extra effort to try this new approach.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Skin Blues » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:49 pm

All the leagues I'm in have rules against streaming players (from what i understand, most people here do too), precisely to avoid people using this strategy. That's probably why it didn't get a big response. There are very few competitive leagues that this would work in for multiple reasons.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 528)

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:12 am

cool theory, but very unrealistic. Being able to carry that many players is just gonna be about impossible. Not to mention your utility discussion doesnt even explain how you start the players, or take into the fact that Brandon Moss’s no’s mostly came in the first week he was called back up, nobody would have thought to even grab him then

Dont get me wrong I love the article, but it lacks in realism
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby thatguy27 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 pm

You don't have to carry any more players than normal. The nature of streaming is that you have one or two roster spots that are essentially revolving doors. Once you've used a player during his favorable matchup period, you drop him and pick up another player with favorable matchups upcoming. Just like when you stream pitchers, once the guy has pitched for you, you drop him and pick up someone else.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Padsin05 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:59 am

thatguy27 wrote:You don't have to carry any more players than normal. The nature of streaming is that you have one or two roster spots that are essentially revolving doors. Once you've used a player during his favorable matchup period, you drop him and pick up another player with favorable matchups upcoming. Just like when you stream pitchers, once the guy has pitched for you, you drop him and pick up someone else.

I assumed it was daily streaming playing Lefty-Righty matchups. I have been doing it for example with Scott Hairston and Adam Laroche for quite some time. Combined they got me 25 hrs 75 rbis and a 285ish ba.

I play it in this rank
1) Hairston vs Lefty
2) Laroche vs Righty
3) Laroche vs Lefty
4) Hairston vs Righty
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:46 am

Padsin05 wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:You don't have to carry any more players than normal. The nature of streaming is that you have one or two roster spots that are essentially revolving doors. Once you've used a player during his favorable matchup period, you drop him and pick up another player with favorable matchups upcoming. Just like when you stream pitchers, once the guy has pitched for you, you drop him and pick up someone else.

I assumed it was daily streaming playing Lefty-Righty matchups. I have been doing it for example with Scott Hairston and Adam Laroche for quite some time. Combined they got me 25 hrs 75 rbis and a 285ish ba.

I play it in this rank
1) Hairston vs Lefty
2) Laroche vs Righty
3) Laroche vs Lefty
4) Hairston vs Righty
That's your basic platooning, as long as you keep both players on your roster over the duration.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 817)

Return to Baseball Leftovers