Marlins dump Hanley on Dodgers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Marlins dump Hanley on Dodgers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Marlins dump Hanley on Dodgers

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:42 am

Element wrote:It's amazing what Uncle Ned can do when he has money to spend. The trading of Eovaldi means that there is probably a SP coming in soon too. It won't be Hamels since the Phils have signed him long term, but with the FA market for this upcoming offseason thinning out, I would expect it to be someone under contract for next season (Cliff Lee, Josh Johnson, Matt Garza, etc) unless they also get Dempster crazy cheap.

The only problem with Dempster being traded "cheap" is that the Cubs are already willing to eat the remainder of his salary, and could be inclined to just keep him and take the compensatory pick.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 am

They have to make a ~$12M qualifying offer, and Dempster has to decline it, in order to get a single comp pick. I don't see that happening.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:11 am

Skin Blues wrote:They have to make a ~$12M qualifying offer, and Dempster has to decline it, in order to get a single comp pick. I don't see that happening.

He's 35 coming off a career year, he'll want a 4 year contract to close out his career. He'll absolutely decline it, I don't see a way he doesn't.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby The_Show » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:49 am

Maybe I'm just a biased Marlins fan, but I believe he can still produce. A lot of articles reiterate they believe Hanley and his 0.240 AVG are done. But consider his home stats:

0.302 AVG
0.385 OBP
0.874 OPS
0.375 wOBA
0.73 BB/K (compared to 0.33 on the road)
0.336 BABIP (getting pretty lucky at home) compared to 0.198 on the road (extremely unlucky)

Point being: He's not as bad as his surface stats show. I know home stats are still only 50% and you want a guy who can produce independent of it being a home or an away game, but if he can overcome that nasty home/away split he can still be Hanley of old (if he runs more on the base paths and comes up bigger in clutch situations).

He needs a manager to light a fire in him. I was hoping Ozzie would of been able to do that this season, but I think he needs a no-nonsense manager.
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby jcook3127 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:32 pm

Hanley and Heath for Crawford was turned down quick...

It's clearly all about the money...this doesn't shock me though...the Marlins probably looked at their first half revenue and went 'holy :-X '

They thought the new stadium would really inject life into the franchise but it hasn't at all...just a huge bill...they couldn't justify a 100 million dollar pay roll in the slightest

Still...THIS is what you get? Awful.
'
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:53 am

If you own Hanley in a keeper/dynasty, get ready to pee yourself a little...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/furcal-cards-win-12th-over-042907047--mlb.html

Ramirez played third base, the spot he moved to with the Marlins to make room for new shortstop Jose Reyes .Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said he plans to put Ramirez at shortstop when the former NL batting champion is comfortable with the switch back to his old position.

For me, 5 games to keep SS eligibility :-L
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Padsin05 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:11 am

AussieDodger wrote:If you own Hanley in a keeper/dynasty, get ready to pee yourself a little...

Ramirez played third base, the spot he moved to with the Marlins to make room for new shortstop Jose Reyes .Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said he plans to put Ramirez at shortstop when the former NL batting champion is comfortable with the switch back to his old position.

yep if he keeps SS, which for ESPN keeper is 20 games, then I am sure glad that I didnt deal him earlier today, I had a Hanley/Granderson swap on the table
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:38 am

Padsin05 wrote:
AussieDodger wrote:If you own Hanley in a keeper/dynasty, get ready to pee yourself a little...

yep if he keeps SS, which for ESPN keeper is 20 games, then I am sure glad that I didnt deal him earlier today, I had a Hanley/Granderson swap on the table

I think I still might have done that.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 33)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby clarkw267 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:39 am

I'm wondering why the Tigers didn't just throw in Drew Smyly and get Hanley along with Sanchez and Infante.... :-S
clarkw267
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 10)

Postby Element » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:11 pm

I haven't watched a lot of Hanley in recent years, but it still looks like he runs well. If that's the case Davey Lopes could impact his fantasy value. I'm guessing that he's going to draw a lot of walks as long as Loney (or whoever else really) is batting behind him. He should have a lot of chances to run. Just a thought.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers