Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster

Postby bayside » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:20 am

The Cubs would have been able to obtain one compensatory selection for losing Dempster if they had kept him for the remainder of the season and made him a qualifying offer.

i've always wondered how FA/extension contracts are officially proposed and accepted/declined.

from that excerpt it appears that all contract offers go to MLB first?
otehrwise how does the league know if a qualifying offer has been made.
is there a standard amount of time that the player has to either accept or reject the offer before it becomes void?
seems like it would be fairly risky to offer deals to multiple players simultaneously... or maybe it just doesnt happen at all.
anyone have insight on this?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rjforlife » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:08 am

BigZ38 wrote:Looks like Dempster has to accept the deal...

If Cubs can pull off a Garza for Lee swap, hit on a few pitching draft picks this year and next, and maybe find a serviceable pitcher or two from their own organization, coupled with the signing of an Ace down the road, you could be looking at a very young, talented rotation. As a Cub fan its nice to see a plan in place.

1. Garza for Lee swap.

2, Hit on a few pitching draft picks this year.

3. And next.

4. Maybe find a serviceable pitcher or two from their own organization.

5. The signing of an ace down the road.

So, what you are basically saying is that they have NOTHING right now. I think it's safe to say that to go from nothing to a young talented rotation without A LOT of things falling into place is reaching a bit. If it were so simple, why don't all teams have great pitching staffs? It just seems like nothing is certain, so for 5 uncertain spots to fall into place, or even 2 or 3 of them, seems like a reach to me.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:27 am

bayside wrote:
The Cubs would have been able to obtain one compensatory selection for losing Dempster if they had kept him for the remainder of the season and made him a qualifying offer.

i've always wondered how FA/extension contracts are officially proposed and accepted/declined.

from that excerpt it appears that all contract offers go to MLB first?
otehrwise how does the league know if a qualifying offer has been made.
is there a standard amount of time that the player has to either accept or reject the offer before it becomes void?
seems like it would be fairly risky to offer deals to multiple players simultaneously... or maybe it just doesnt happen at all.
anyone have insight on this?

You're misunderstanding this. FA/extension contracts are handled between GM's and agents and it only goes to the league when both sides agree. The qualifying offer is basically the old arbitration except they don't go to an arbiter to decide how much a player will make. Teams will have to make a qualifying offer by X date and players/agents will need to accept/decline the offer by Y date.

The significant thing about this is that Atlanta won't be able to make a qualifying offer to get a comp pick.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 166)

Postby BigZ38 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 am

rjforlife wrote:
BigZ38 wrote:Looks like Dempster has to accept the deal...

If Cubs can pull off a Garza for Lee swap, hit on a few pitching draft picks this year and next, and maybe find a serviceable pitcher or two from their own organization, coupled with the signing of an Ace down the road, you could be looking at a very young, talented rotation. As a Cub fan its nice to see a plan in place.

1. Garza for Lee swap.

2, Hit on a few pitching draft picks this year.

3. And next.

4. Maybe find a serviceable pitcher or two from their own organization.

5. The signing of an ace down the road.

So, what you are basically saying is that they have NOTHING right now. I think it's safe to say that to go from nothing to a young talented rotation without A LOT of things falling into place is reaching a bit. If it were so simple, why don't all teams have great pitching staffs? It just seems like nothing is certain, so for 5 uncertain spots to fall into place, or even 2 or 3 of them, seems like a reach to me.

Presently for the foreseeable future they have Samardzija and Wood. I think Samardzija can develop into a strong #3, and Travis Wood can develop into a #5 / 6th pitcher who takes the place of an injured guy. He certainly has proven he can be serviceable, but is still erratic.

Adding Delgado and Lee gives them two Top 50 prospects with #2 upside. Letting these guys develop for two to three years and then going out and adding an ace through free agency (again this team will spend money)...Gives them at least 5 starting pitchers who are quality. Add in anything that emerges from their current system, add in potential arms they drafted this year, the next and the following, suddenly you're looking at 8 or 9 potential major league starters moving forward. I realize prospects don't always pan out, but the more quality ones you can add the better chance you have.

The point is, this front office has more of a plan than any front office the Cubs have had probably ever. As a Cubs fan its nice to see. Getting a player with Delgado's potential for a guy in Dempster who is a two month rental (and last year thought to be becoming relatively worthless), in all relative terms would be quite a coup. The Cubs certainly won't be competing next year, and will probably only begin to see an upswing starting in 2014 (Likely high draft picks in the 2013 and 2014 drafts). 2015 is really probably the first year they can realistically look at competing.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby saemick » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:22 am

I had a feeling the only reason this didn't go through already was because the news leaked before Dempster even had a chance to know about it. That appears to be the case:

TUESDAY, 9:05am: Dempster has given preliminary indications that he'd accept a trade to the Braves, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports (Twitter links). However, Dempster felt blindsided when news of the proposed deal leaked before the Cubs reached him.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigZ38 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:28 am

saemick wrote:I had a feeling the only reason this didn't go through already was because the news leaked before Dempster even had a chance to know about it. That appears to be the case:

TUESDAY, 9:05am: Dempster has given preliminary indications that he'd accept a trade to the Braves, ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick reports (Twitter links). However, Dempster felt blindsided when news of the proposed deal leaked before the Cubs reached him.

I call horse crap, it's not like he didn't know he would get traded, and my guess is the Cubs had a list of teams he would pre-approve a deal to. If not then that is really stupid. Plus it takes like 10 seconds to get a hold of someone these days.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby MurrayKy » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:09 pm

Quick question guys, how do you think this'll affect his fantasy performance? I would assume more wins, but is there anything much different about Atlanta compared to the Cubbies? Pitchers/hitters park?, Remaining schedule difficulty?, etc.
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Element » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:13 pm

Chicago Cubs right-hander Ryan Dempster does not want to be traded to the Atlanta Braves, according to major-league sources.

At least not right now.

Dempster, as a player with 10 years of major-league service, the last five with the same team, has the right to block a trade to the Braves.

The pitcher instead wants to be sent to the Los Angeles Dodgers, who were unable to reach agreement with the Cubs on a suitable deal, sources said.

FoxSports.com
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 693)

Re: Re: Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster

Postby wrveres » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:42 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Presently for the foreseeable future they have Samardzija and Wood. I think Samardzija can develop into a strong #3, and Travis Wood can develop into a #5 / 6th pitcher who takes the place of an injured guy

Adding Delgado and Lee gives them two Top 50 prospects with #2 upside. Letting these guys develop for two to three years and then going out and adding an ace through free agency (again this team will spend money)...Gives them at least 5 starting pitchers who are quality. Add in anything that emerges from their current system, add in potential arms they drafted this year, the next and the following, suddenly you're looking at 8 or 9 potential major league starters moving forward.

But they have Dempster and Garza now …
what am I missing?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby Skin Blues » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:37 pm

They don't need a pitcher for 2012 or 2013, they need them for 2014-2017. This would be an excellent trade for the Cubs. As would trading Garza. They're terrible right now so spending all this money on Dempster/Garza, along with he opportunity cost of not trading them, makes no sense. Dempster isn't even that good, he's having a fluky few months which they would be wise to cash in on.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers