100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster

Postby saemick » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:48 pm

From MLB Trade Rumors:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/07/braves-acquire-ryan-dempster.html

The Braves and Cubs have agreed to a trade that will send Ryan Dempster to Atlanta, Mark Bowman of MLB.com reports (on Twitter). The right-hander can veto any trade, but he is not likely to demand an extension in order to approve the deal, according to Jon Heyman. Randall Delgado could be going to Chicago in the deal, Bowman adds.

Dempster, 35, has an NL-best 2.11 ERA with 7.1 K/9 and 2.5 BB/9 in 98 innings for the Cubs this year. He earns $14MM in 2012 -- more than $5.5MM between now and the end of the season -- but the Cubs are said to be willing to absorb salary to facilitate a deal.

The Braves won't be able to obtain draft pick compensation for Dempster even if he signs elsewhere after the season. In other words, he's strictly a rental unless the sides reach an extension between now and the end of the season. The Braves believe they'd have a good shot at re-signing Dempster, David O'Brien of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reports (on Twitter). The Cubs would have been able to obtain one compensatory selection for losing Dempster if they had kept him for the remainder of the season and made him a qualifying offer.

Braves starters have combined for a 4.34 ERA with 7.0 K/9 and 3.4 BB/9 so far this year. The team's rotation currently consists of Tim Hudson, Tommy Hanson, Mike Minor, Jair Jurrjens and newcomer Ben Sheets. Brandon Beachy and Arodys Vizcaino are out for the season with Tommy John surgery, which diminished the organization's internal options.

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com first reported that the Braves were nearing a deal for Dempster after David O'Brien first reported the Braves were nearing a deal for a starter. Photo courtesy of US Presswire.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Braves Acquire Ryan Dempster

Postby saemick » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:58 pm

Looks like, it is, in fact Delgado coming to the Cubs in the trade:

1:51pm: Randall Delgado will be in the trade if it's completed, ESPN.com's Keith Law reports (on Twitter). The sides will also find a way to balance the money.

Delgado, 22, has started 17 games for the Braves this year, posting a 4.42 ERA with 7.2 K/9 and 4.1 BB/9 in 91 2/3 innings. The right-hander entered the season as the 46th-best prospect in MLB, according to Baseball America. His average fastball checks in at 92 mph, according to FanGraphs.
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:09 pm

Cubs are busy, Garza deal talks picking up again with Dodgers
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby footballisbetter.com » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:00 pm

Rotoworld Baseball ‏@Rotoworld_BB
Ryan Dempster tweets that 'there is no trade' http://dlvr.it/1v8hgq
footballisbetter.com
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby SpecialFNK » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:12 pm

Ryan Dempster wrote on his foundation's official Twitter account Monday that "there is no trade."
"Don't know where this info came from," added the 35-year-old right-hander. Perhaps he hasn't been filled in yet about the negotiations, or maybe those negotiations have suddenly come to a screeching halt. Multiple reports are claiming that Dempster has been traded to the Braves for 22-year-old right-hander Randall Delgado. Dempster does carry the right to veto any deal.

would he really veto a trade from the Cubs to the Braves?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 73)

Postby BigZ38 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:51 pm

Looks like Dempster has to accept the deal...

If Cubs can pull off a Garza for Lee swap, hit on a few pitching draft picks this year and next, and maybe find a serviceable pitcher or two from their own organization, coupled with the signing of an Ace down the road, you could be looking at a very young, talented rotation. As a Cub fan its nice to see a plan in place.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:10 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Looks like Dempster has to accept the deal...

If Cubs can pull off a Garza for Lee swap, hit on a few pitching draft picks this year and next, and maybe find a serviceable pitcher or two from their own organization, coupled with the signing of an Ace down the road, you could be looking at a very young, talented rotation. As a Cub fan its nice to see a plan in place.

I mean, I understand it's the Cubs and things are always bleak, but you are really reaching here. There are so many things that have to happen for them to even be in contention for .500.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 738)

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Jul 23, 2012 6:16 pm

rjforlife wrote:

I mean, I understand it's the Cubs and things are always bleak, but you are really reaching here. There are so many things that have to happen for them to even be in contention for .500.
I'm not really that certain. This is a team with a ton of money that I don't think is really that hesitant to spend it (hopefully more wisely with their new management regime). They're certainly taking steps in the right directions. It's not like they're Pittsburgh or Kansas City or Tampa -- this is a ballclub that can get better in a hurry, because they are willing to spend money. Or maybe not.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 307)

Postby BigZ38 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 pm

rjforlife wrote:

Please explain how I'm reaching that down the road they could have a young, talented rotation if certain things go right. Thank you.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby snash » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:58 pm

Is this a done deal yet? I mean, who in their right mind does not want to go to the Braves for a playoff run for only 2-3 months. Seriously, Dempster, you must rather sauk in Chicago rather than go to Atlanta which is amazingly well run and have the making of a contender in Oct? You can always sign with the Cubs during the off-season, if Chicago is that important to you.

seriously, I think there' is something else going on here. Maybe Atl will only do the deal if Dempster agrees to sign long-term.
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers