The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: The Dark Knight Rises (SPOILERS)

Postby AussieDodger » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:47 am

So keeping in mind that I don't like CGI-filled mindless explosion-fests......... should I see this movie?
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:04 am

AussieDodger wrote:So keeping in mind that I don't like CGI-filled mindless explosion-fests......... should I see this movie?

Well don't go see it for the story, dialogue or humour. You will be disappointed.
The story pales compared to Hot Tub Time Machine, the dialogue is not nearly as compelling as say Glitter and the humour...well is non-existent. The film sadly takes itself much too seriously. It is pretty to look at though if you enjoy CGI filled explosofests.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby Inukchuk » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:54 pm

AussieDodger wrote:So keeping in mind that I don't like CGI-filled mindless explosion-fests......... should I see this movie?

While not as good as the first 2, I think it still holds up as a decent ending to the trilogy...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby J35J » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:45 pm

I'm in the GF/Mookie camp here...I didn't dislike it as much as they did but it wasn't all that great...definately a step down from the first two.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 390)

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:57 pm

Such a vacuum type of question. If you enjoy the Batman storyline, yes. If you want to see a movie that is better than almost anything else right there right now, yes. If you like listening to the minority who disliked it, no.

I actually felt the CGI was toned down in this movie. Nolan went back to using the more old fashioned type of sets which involved large numbers of actors, etc.
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 84)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:13 pm

J35J wrote:I'm in the GF/Mookie camp here...I didn't dislike it as much as they did but it wasn't all that great...definately a step down from the first two.

I think that the second installment was just a massive step up from the first and last ones. Batman Begins was a good movie, but after TDK people suddenly started grouping them in a similar caliber that they don't both exist in (it's come up a bunch of times here, with TDKR being a step back from the 'first two', when the reality is TDK was a huge step up from BB, which was also a good film), when that was not the case prior to the release of TDK. TDKR is on par with BB for me, with TDK standing out as the superior film as far as all around enjoyment goes.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby TheRock » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:36 pm

If nothing else, you need to see it so you can join us in telling GF how wrong he is. ;-)

I'm thinking ever if you end up being one of the ones hung up on the shocking revelation that there's not really a Batman, the film is still pretty spectacular to watch.
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:37 am

I don't think the fact that there's not really a Batman is anywhere near the arguments Mookie/GF made. Both seem receptive to acceptable suspension of disbelief. It's the lack of coherent story and reality within the context of the movies. Sure, there's a Batman, and villains, but that doens't mean that everything has to be silly and meaningless. People still need incetive to do thigns, not just "well, I'm a bad guy so I'll do whatever Bane tells me to", etc. Nolan is obviously dealing with very little expectation in this regard so in that sense it's a success, it's just not the type of movie I'm into. I also haven't seen the Expendables. Goes against my rule of watching any movie with Jason Statham in it. Big explosions and badassery be damned!
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 131)

Postby TheRock » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:29 am

Skin Blues wrote:I don't think the fact that there's not really a Batman is anywhere near the arguments Mookie/GF made. Both seem receptive to acceptable suspension of disbelief. It's the lack of coherent story and reality within the context of the movies. Sure, there's a Batman, and villains, but that doens't mean that everything has to be silly and meaningless. People still need incetive to do thigns, not just "well, I'm a bad guy so I'll do whatever Bane tells me to", etc. Nolan is obviously dealing with very little expectation in this regard so in that sense it's a success, it's just not the type of movie I'm into. I also haven't seen the Expendables. Goes against my rule of watching any movie with Jason Statham in it. Big explosions and badassery be damned!

Yeah, that was hyperbole. I'm still not understanding where the confusion is, never once in the movie did the plot, characters, or their motivations not make sense to me. Maybe when it comes out on BluRay I can watch it again and we'll discuss specific examples. Sluggo said it early on - League of Shadows. That's really all that needs to be said IMO.

Ra's Al Ghul wrote:Gotham's time has come. Like Constantinople or Rome before it the city has become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice. It is beyond saving and must be allowed to die. This is the most important function of the League of Shadows. It is one we've performed for centuries. Gotham... must be destroyed.

...When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural.

...My fight, however, lies with the rest of Gotham. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a city to destroy.

...Only a cynical man would call what these people have "lives," Wayne. Crime, despair... this is not how man was supposed to live. The League of Shadows has been a check against human corruption for thousands of years. We sacked Rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned London to the ground. Every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

If it was a good enough motivation for the first movie, why isn't it enough for the dude's daughter in this movie? Why are all of their followers following? Maybe they're hardcore LoS idealists and are willing to risk their lives for the "betterment" of mankind. Maybe they're not really in on it and think it's all about money, or anarchy, or chicks. The joker recruited mostly lunatics and kept them motivated somehow but we're going to question how the LoS finds any thugs?
TheRock
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Mookie4ever » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:31 am

TheRock wrote:
Ra's Al Ghul wrote:Gotham's time has come. Like Constantinople or Rome before it the city has become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice. It is beyond saving and must be allowed to die. This is the most important function of the League of Shadows. It is one we've performed for centuries. Gotham... must be destroyed.

...When a forest grows too wild, a purging fire is inevitable and natural.

...My fight, however, lies with the rest of Gotham. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a city to destroy.

...Only a cynical man would call what these people have "lives," Wayne. Crime, despair... this is not how man was supposed to live. The League of Shadows has been a check against human corruption for thousands of years. We sacked Rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned London to the ground. Every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

If it was a good enough motivation for the first movie, why isn't it enough for the dude's daughter in this movie? Why are all of their followers following? Maybe they're hardcore LoS idealists and are willing to risk their lives for the "betterment" of mankind. Maybe they're not really in on it and think it's all about money, or anarchy, or chicks. The joker recruited mostly lunatics and kept them motivated somehow but we're going to question how the LoS finds any thugs?

Yeah, I don't think you understand the plot either.

If this was the motivation then why didn't they just blow up the corrupt city? What was all this crap with putting the bomb in a garbage truck and driving it around the city with a remote detonator on it for weeks on end? For that matter why did they have to infiltrate Wayne Enterprises, kidnap some foreign scientist and go to all this trouble of inventing a new energy source that could be turned into a bomb with a few button pushes? Why didn't they just make a normal freakin bomb and destroy the city?

I don't blame you for not understanding the plot. You know why? Because it's bloody stupid.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk