7/20 - 7/22 Cheering, Venting, & So Long Syfo-Dias - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

7/20 - 7/22 Cheering, Venting, & So Long Syfo-Dias

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

7/20 - 7/22 Cheering, Venting, & So Long Syfo-Dias

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:26 am

It was brought to my attention that after his nth violation of Cafe douchery (d'baggery?), Syfo-Dias will no longer be a participant in the Cafe Forums. You may remember him as the self-proclaimed high school coach and umpire who yearned for the days when it was a simpler game, a simpler time. He shunned Josh Hamilton for going home against the wishes of his third base coach, and faulted him for his injury due to hustle. He was a pie in the sky innovator, and was rumored to be an assistant staff member of Tom Emanski's back-to-back-to-back AAU Championship teams. Ye shall be missed; I don't know by whom, but missed all the same. He is retired just 3 days shy of his 'Wood' Anniversary here at the Cafe. Syfo Dias -- 7/23/07 - 7/20/12. :,-(

On a happier note, if you're looking to get a cheap hat, Lids is having a ridiculous $5 sale with free shipping, that I'm planning on stocking up on some stuff from. It's somewhat limited, but for $5 it's kind of touch to complain. I don't know if it's a regional or national company, but they're in our malls here, and it's where I buy all my hats. No, I'm not receiving any rub from posting that link. Just figured a bunch of baseball fans would be interested in cheap baseball hats.

How good is David Wright? Seriously, how good? Dude found his Superman caps this year that he seemed to have misplaced the past season or two, cause he's basically thrown the entire Met organization on his back, offensively speaking, and just carried them for the last four months. He belted 2 more homers yesterday off of the Natinals, running his season total to 14, to go along with 9 stolen bases and a .353 batting average. And, without looking at any defensive metrics, or predicting that he'll actually win the award -- he's played Gold Glove caliber defense all year. This is a guy who had trouble throwing the ball to first base and has still managed to win the award previously, but his defense has been A+ this year. I hope the metrics say the same, and if they don't, they're wrong. On the ass end of Wright's day yesterday? Gio Gonzalez, who had his worst outing of the season, failing to get out of the 4th inning. On the other side, R.A. Dickey was R.A. Dickey.

Maybe you were as surprised as I was when I woke up this morning and saw that Edinson Volquez threw a 1-hitter. You've always got to take these with a grain of salt when they come against the Astros, Mariners, Athletics, Padres, or Giants, but still... I'm not the only one who thinks this dude sucks and has no business throwing a 1-hitter, right? Like, he's terrible. Is PETCO Park really that big of a game changer? It turns pure suck into 1-hitters? Could I keep a sub-4 ERA pitching for the Padres at PETCO? I'm a lefty. I'll play for the minimum. wrveres, get the Friar management on the horn and tell them I'll be on the night flight out for $300 K. I might even throw a 1-hitter.

Another fun little factoid? Paul Maholm has allowed 3 ER total over his last 30.1 IP. Paul Maholm. Hey Bud, this is where you have him 'randomly' tested. He's Paul Maholm. He's a Cub. He's dealing.

LIGHTNING ROUND -- Max Scherzer's performance is starting to match his peripherals -- it must be mid-July... Jesus Montero has raked for the last 5 games -- better late than never?.. Cody Ross -- WTF?.. Ryan Zimmerman continues to make up for the first 3 months of his season... Brandon Phillips drove in 5 Runs in Joey Votto's absence yesterday... David Price keeps pitching like David Price... Felix Hernandez gave up 1 ER and actually managed to get a Win... Aroldis Champan + Craig Kimbrel > Elite Fantasy Starter... Jose Quintana went to 4 - 1 with 8 shutout innings, but I'm still not buying... Okay, that's it; there was only a half-slate of games yesterday, get off my back.

Today's Matchups:

BAL: Gonzalez (1-1, 2.59 ERA)
CLE: Lowe (8-7, 4.43 ERA)

ATL: Hanson (10-5, 4.02 ERA)
WSH: Strasburg (10-4, 2.66 ERA)

CHW: Peavy (7-6, 3.12 ERA)
DET: Verlander (10-5, 2.43 ERA)

SF: Lincecum (3-10, 5.93 ERA)
PHI: Worley (5-5, 3.47 ERA)

TOR: Laffey (1-1, 3.38 ERA)
BOS: Beckett (5-7, 4.44 ERA)

MIA: Nolasco (8-7, 4.47 ERA)
PIT: Correia (6-6, 4.25 ERA)

SEA: Iwakuma (1-2, 5.13 ERA)
TB: Shields (8-6, 4.44 ERA)

MIL: Estrada (0-3, 4.13 ERA)
CIN: Bailey (8-6, 3.93 ERA)

MIN: Blackburn (4-5, 8.10 ERA)
KC: Hochevar (6-8, 5.16 ERA)

LAD: Harang (6-5, 3.53 ERA)
NYM: Santana (6-6, 3.59 ERA)

TEX: Holland (6-4, 4.57 ERA)
LAA: Weaver (11-1, 2.26 ERA)

CHC: Dempster (5-3, 1.86 ERA)
STL: Lohse (9-2, 2.80 ERA)

NYY: Nova (10-4, 4.18 ERA)
OAK: Milone (9-6, 3.54 ERA)

HOU: Norris (5-7, 4.70 ERA)
ARI: Cahill (7-8, 3.71 ERA)

COL: Pomeranz (1-4, 3.79 ERA)
SD: Marquis (2-5, 3.62 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/20 - 7/22 Cheering, Venting, & So Long Syfo-Dias

Postby bigken117 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

You're welcome. And I do believe douchebaggery is a legal scrabble word. (note, I know it isn't).

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:07 pm

And with my last start of the week, down by a million, I'm going against my better judgement and starting Johan Santana vsLAD over Marco Estrada @CIN. Hoping that Holland has another solid outing in a real tough matchup today @LAA. Would love to see him repeat last year's 2nd half in 2012.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby RyeWhiskey » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Got both starters in the HOU @ ARI game today (Norris @ Cahill)... we'll see. And yes, my staff is that bad.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bayside » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:23 pm

Starting Estrada @ Cinci
Benching Hanson @ Wash (Stras)

NEED A WIN!
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:29 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote:Got both starters in the HOU @ ARI game today (Norris @ Cahill)... we'll see. And yes, my staff is that bad.
These are two guys I'm actually excited about as back end of the rotation guys in the 2nd half. Norris has a 3.87 SIERA, and if he's able to at all chop his BB, you're looking at a valuable SP with high Ks. Cahill will have the luxury of facing the NL West down the stretch, and should be more than serviceable against them.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The_Show » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:32 pm

Loving me some Cody Ross and his 3 3-run HRs in 2 days :-L

Rotowire wrote:Ross has held onto his starting outfield spot through Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury returning from injury.

I might be missing something, but was he in danger of not starting?
The_Show
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicGraphics ExpertWeb Supporter

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:35 pm

The_Show wrote:Loving me some Cody Ross and his 3 3-run HRs in 2 days :-L

Rotowire wrote:Ross has held onto his starting outfield spot through Carl Crawford and Jacoby Ellsbury returning from injury.

I might be missing something, but was he in danger of not starting?
When David Ortiz is at DH, and Crawford is in the OF, he appears to be the odd man out of full-time AB as I imagine they're going to want to get Nava in there a few days a week as well, with his .380 OBP. With Papi out, there's room for everybody every day.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:01 pm

Lawrie sitting... :-C
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby J35J » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:27 pm

Montero is only hitting well the last 5 games because the last 4 of them were against the absolutely god awful rotation that resides in KC... %-6
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers