MLB Non Waiver Trade Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Non Waiver Trade Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: MLB Non Waiver Trade Thread

Postby kab21 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:00 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Seems that prospects are worth their weight in gold plus some. Maybe its the economy and teams moving towards more player control, maybe its the emergence of youthful talent around baseball, who knows, but half the time a lot of these "big" prospects don't work out. I understand not moving a Profar, a Bundy, etc, but some of these mid level prospects teams were considering untouchable...interesting.

It could also be with the advent of social media fans are just that much closer to the action now.

The thing is that the star prospects haven't always been star prospects. The Rangers or the Angels would have looked foolish trading Profar or Trout 2 years ago when they were top 100ish prospects with upside.

I also think that the new CBA has affected deadline trade values a little. Teams now only get 1 draft pick to counter offers and the trading team can't recoup part of the trade by getting draft picks.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jfg » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:50 pm

I was mostly shocked about the A's because Beane said that he was going to take advantage of the opportunity a couple weeks ago and they did nothing. I don't blame him, I'm not sure if their success is for real, but with Anderson coming back, I'm a little surprised they didn't get a bat or two.

The Twins surprised me because their payroll is pretty large and they are completely out of the picture. I can't believe they didn't unload a couple more guys for not much in return just to get some salary relief knowing their history and knowing that the fans were pretty much expecting it. Capps would have been traded I guess if he wasn't on the DL. I wonder if they tried to unload Morneau for prospects offering to pick up most of his salary. That would have been their best bet at getting a couple prospects into their pretty crappy farm system. I know Willingham is under team control, but I probably would have traded him as well, because I don't think the Twins are going to be playing for much next year either. With his stats and contract, they might have been able to get a nice haul.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby kab21 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:54 am

I think you need to look again if you are going to call the Twins farm system crappy. They have very little pitching after Gibson except for a few guys (Berrios, Boyd, Jorge) at the lowest levels but there are a lot of exciting bats that are breaking out this year. Rosario, Arcia, Sano (holding his own) and even Hicks (.829 OPS). throw in Buxton and the Twins could 5 or 6 guys in the end of the year top 100's.

The Twins didn't really need to trade anyone other than Liriano since everyone else (that has value) is under contract for the next 1 or 2 seasons. They also aren't poor like before and are still making money despite losing. I expect that we'll see them make some moves in the offseason and at next year's trade deadline. I don't think they got offered the prospects that they wanted for some very good players. No reason to just dump them for the sake of trading.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby snash » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:14 am

I know the title on this thread is non-waiver. but i wonder who will pass waiver in Aug and gets traded. Soriano? The man is raking, and I can't fathom how any of the West Coast teams does not need a bat like that in their lineup. It boggles the mind, especially when you account that the Cubs will pick up most of his tab. :-S
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers