Return to Baseball Leftovers

MLB Non Waiver Trade Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB Non Waiver Trade Thread

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:15 am

Felt it was good to start one now as a place for talk and "minor" deals

Rockies, Royals Swap Guthrie, Sanchez
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 20 at 10:05am CST]
The Rockies and Royals have agreed to a trade that will send left-hander Jonathan Sanchez to Colorado for right-hander Jeremy Guthrie, Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports reports (on Twitter). Both players have struggled in 2012 and are on track to hit free agency after the season.

Sanchez was recently designated for assignment following a short and disappointing stint in Kansas City. The Royals acquired him in an ill-fated offseason trade that sent Melky Cabrera to San Francisco. Sanchez posted a 7.76 ERA with 6.1 K/9 and 7.4 BB/9 in 53 1/3 innings for Kansas City, averaging less than 4.5 innings per start. He earns $5.6MM this year and will likely be in line for an incentive-based or minor league deal as a free agent unless he restores his value in hitter-friendly Coors Field.

Guthrie, 33, posted a 6.35 ERA with 4.5 K/9 and 3.1 BB/9 in Colorado. He allowed a league-leading 21 home runs in 90 2/3 innings. He earns $8.2MM this year.

^ MLBTR
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB Non Waiver Trade Thread

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:16 am

viewtopic.php?t=450795

^ 10 player Stros-Jays deal
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:51 pm

Latest on Dempster, who is hours away from a scheduled start

Rotoworld:

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Nationals are "trying hard" to acquire Ryan Dempster.
Heyman was told, however, that the Dodgers are still considered the favorites to land the right-hander. The Braves and Tigers are also still in the mix. Ken Rosenthal has reported that the Dempster talks could drag on for a few days, so he could make his scheduled start Friday.
Related: Braves, Tigers, Dodgers, Nationals
Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter Jul 20 - 1:34 PM

Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com reports that trade talks involving Ryan Dempster could "drag on a few more days."
In other words, he could wind up making his scheduled start Friday in St. Louis after all. The Cubs have taxied a starter from Triple-A in hopes that they could work out a deal with the Dodgers, but those talks have hit a snag. It remains a virtual certainty that Dempster is traded sometime this month. The Nationals and Braves are also in the mix.
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

Postby benb18a » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:51 pm

So a team with the best pitching staff in the entire MLB is going hard after staring pitching, and neglecting a bottom third offense? Do they think they'll have a Giants-like playoff run...without Strasburg?
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki
BN: Howard, Rizzo, Donaldson
DL: Tulo
Peavy Sale, Valverde, Axford, Greinke, Marcum, Estrada, Capuano, Hughes, Haren

Public Yahoo league 130-67-13 winrar
benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:00 pm

benb18a wrote:So a team with the best pitching staff in the entire MLB is going hard after staring pitching, and neglecting a bottom third offense? Do they think they'll have a Giants-like playoff run...without Strasburg?
That may not be the extent of what they're after. Also, if you're going to be without Strasburg in the playoffs, it's not a terrible idea to replace his production to keep the team going that's leading your division. And finally, I haven't heard too many productive bat names being circulated that are really on the trade block. It seems to be riddled with SP after SP. What are they going to do, trade for Josh Willingham? I'm not even sure I've heard another name worth buying really mentioned as being overly available.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Postby benb18a » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:13 pm

I thought they would shut Strasburg down for a month or so and then bring him back for the postseason. Didn't know they'd let their cornerstone ride the pine through the postseason in what will be their first postseason in quite a long time.
1B: Freeman 2B: Craig 3B: Beltre SS: Seager C: Lucroy OF: Granderson, Harper, BJ Up UT: Kipnis, Aoki

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:02 am

Shutting him down just to start him back up could be even more wreckless.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Postby snash » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:16 am

Element wrote:Shutting him down just to start him back up could be even more wreckless.

Word... ;-D
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby benb18a » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:46 am

Element wrote:Shutting him down just to start him back up could be even more wreckless.

Interesting I guess. I would have thought a nice little vacation would do the opposite, then again I know zilch about the nature of sports injuries.

benb18a
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Element » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:19 am

I think that the best approach would've been to leave to begin his 'Spring Training' on April 1st & basically start him a month behind everyone else. At least if I felt that I had a team that could potentially play for a playoff spot ... that would be my design.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 762)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers