Astros- Blue Jays trade 10 players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Astros- Blue Jays trade 10 players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Astros- Blue Jays trade 10 players

Postby Inukchuk » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Whalewang wrote:
Inukchuk wrote:So now if Myers is dealt, Wilton Lopez is definitely the man in the 9th, yes? If you're speculating on saves, now would be a good time to snatch him up, I think...

There is speculation that Houston could go with Cordero this year instead of Lopez. It might be a coin-flip.

Yeah, I was so excited to see Lyon go, it totally slipped my mind that they brought in a crappy ex closer with "the all important 9th inning experience." Really hoping they at least give Lopez a shot...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Postby kab21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 am

I can understand an argument that none of the prospects by themselves are that great but I can't understand an argument several of them for Happ and Lyon. Especially for a Toronto team that I expect to fall out of the race when the stretch run takes them through the AL East.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:35 am

kab21 wrote:I can understand an argument that none of the prospects by themselves are that great but I can't understand an argument several of them for Happ and Lyon. Especially for a Toronto team that I expect to fall out of the race when the stretch run takes them through the AL East.

They're already falling out of the race. Happ is under team control for two more years, though.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby MashinSpuds » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:44 am

mweir145 wrote:
kab21 wrote:I can understand an argument that none of the prospects by themselves are that great but I can't understand an argument several of them for Happ and Lyon. Especially for a Toronto team that I expect to fall out of the race when the stretch run takes them through the AL East.

They're already falling out of the race. Happ is under team control for two more years, though.

Plus, the Toronto system seems pretty deep so they probably figured whatever, here's some random okay guys. Why they went after Happ and Lyon of all people, though, is beyond me. Maybe they think they can turn Happ around?
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby AussieDodger » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:54 am

Fabulous deal for Houston.
If ONE of those guys pans out, they win.

Happ and Lyon?

ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 am

Carpenter was a much bigger piece in the deal than Lyon. Lyon is a rental, and a crappy one at that. Carpenter at least has potential to be a solid bullpen piece that is controllable for 6 seasons. Overall it's very underwhelming for a 10 player trade. Not a whole lot to be excited about from either side.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:01 am

[quote="AussieDodger"]Fabulous deal for Houston.
If ONE of those guys pans out, they win./quote]This is how I see it as well. All they need is one regular major leaguer out of the entire deal and I think it's a good deal for them.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 322)

Postby kab21 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:17 am

MashinSpuds wrote:Plus, the Toronto system seems pretty deep so they probably figured whatever, here's some random okay guys. Why they went after Happ and Lyon of all people, though, is beyond me. Maybe they think they can turn Happ around?

But they didn't get anything in return for a pile of B prospects. Just because you have depth it doesn't mean that you should get rid of them. Happ has a 4.16 ERA (and 4.50 FIP) while pitching in the NL. His one good season was 4 years ago.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 162)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:52 am

MashinSpuds wrote:
mweir145 wrote:

Plus, the Toronto system seems pretty deep so they probably figured whatever, here's some random okay guys. Why they went after Happ and Lyon of all people, though, is beyond me. Maybe they think they can turn Happ around?

Happ's in the middle of his best season peripherals-wise (higher K rate and GB rate). I suspect they think there's more in his arm and that the guys they traded likely won't amount to as much as Happ (and will probably be relievers even if they do by some slight chance make the majors).
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:08 pm

In a few years, one of the two pitching prospects might be as good as David Carpenter. Chances of being as good as Happ... very slim. And if you think that Carpenter and Happ suck, well... what does that tell you about the chances of 22/23 year old A-ball prospects succeeding? The Astros are going nowhere so they are taking the slim chances at a regular MLB player in return for two of them that won't be around still by the time they are ready to compete.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 110)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers