Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to apply for - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to apply for

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to apply

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:11 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:re: asking them to send them sooner
They don't really "send us corrections". On each night they send us stats, and if we see that something changed, then we note the difference and treat it as a correction. I suppose the real question is whether the corrections reflect our provider goofing up and then fixing it, or reflect the league changing official scoring. I *think* the latter is the normal case, and there really isn't much to be done about that. But I could be wrong.

Thank you for the clarification (and for replying to this thread period). It is much appreciated.

So quick question: If they are sending the stats over each night, wouldn't that mean then that ONLY stats from Sunday's games are at risk of not being found and completed in time for the corrections?
I could have just read that wrong, but from your explanation it seems like there shouldn't be any missed stat corrections from the Mon-Sat games (again I could have just read that wrong). thx
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Re: Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to a

Postby garf112 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:22 am

Maris09 wrote:
They don't really "send us corrections". On each night they send us stats, and if we see that something changed, then we note the difference and treat it as a correction. I suppose the real question is whether the corrections reflect our provider goofing up and then fixing it, or reflect the league changing official scoring. I *think* the latter is the normal case, and there really isn't much to be done about that. But I could be wrong.

Thank you for the clarification (and for replying to this thread period). It is much appreciated.

So quick question: If they are sending the stats over each night, wouldn't that mean then that ONLY stats from Sunday's games are at risk of not being found and completed in time for the corrections?
I could have just read that wrong, but from your explanation it seems like there shouldn't be any missed stat corrections from the Mon-Sat games (again I could have just read that wrong). thx

Scoring changes in MLB don't always happen overnight. Things get appealed and they can take a little while to be resolved. Remember the mets appeal of dickey's one hitter? It took almost a week.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 41)

Re: Re: Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to a

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:05 am

garf112 wrote:
Maris09 wrote:

Scoring changes in MLB don't always happen overnight. Things get appealed and they can take a little while to be resolved. Remember the mets appeal of dickey's one hitter? It took almost a week.

Ya no I get that, but in most cases everything that's going to be changed for the week....is known by Saturday (most weeks this is the case). So what I'm wondering is, if the stats are sent nightly, and that's when it's noticed by Yahoo whether or not a correction needs to be made, shouldn't ONLY stat corrections from Sunday's games be at risk of not being corrected?

Again I may have read incorrectly, but that's what I'm geting from the explanation.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Genie, thanks for the response, and I have a follow up question for ya. Why can't the results be changed retroactively? I see that there could be some kind of complication for playoffs, but for the regular season, it doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue to me.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Maris09 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:43 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:Genie, thanks for the response, and I have a follow up question for ya. Why can't the results be changed retroactively? I see that there could be some kind of complication for playoffs, but for the regular season, it doesn't seem like it would be much of an issue to me.

Ya but can you do it for 24 weeks out of the year and then NOT do it once the Playoffs come? That would probably cause huge issues I would think.

Seems to me that if stats are sent and reviewed every night, that only really stats from Sunday's would be subject to potentially not being corrected.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:26 pm

As was explained, not all corrections happen overnight. So sure, Sunday stat corrections are the most likely to come in too late. But Saturday corrections that take 2 days are at risk, Friday corrections that take 3 days, etc. etc. Those are more uncommon, but they happen.

re: why we can't do it in the regular season. Asked and answered earlier in the thread. Maybe not even asked before answered heh
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote:
re: why we can't do it in the regular season. Asked and answered earlier in the thread. Maybe not even asked before answered heh

Must have missed it, but thanks for answering!

Here's the answer from earlier in the thread, for anyone who's interested.

Fantasy Sports Genie wrote: The discussion of why we don't apply stats that come in late has been had here many times. We always do in non-H2H leagues. In H2H leagues, however, there are more "can't put the toothpaste back in the tube" kind of things, particularly around the playoffs. If we make a correction and then say, "Oh. The stats from 2 weeks ago changed. So actually you won. So actually, you DID make the playoffs. Sorry you didn't update your lineup for the last 2 weeks because you thought you'd been eliminated." etc. etc. And perhaps we could apply them in H2H matchups until the playoffs begin, but we have plenty of precedent where it is valuable to be consistent, because otherwise it confuses people nonstop. So it is more consistent and clear to just say we never apply stat corrections in H2H leagues once the matchups are over.

2011 Live Free or DyNasty Champ
A Fleshner Fantasy
Wicked Wikitect
Wicked Wikitect

CafeholicMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 32)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bayside » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:05 pm

Ok now this just doesnt make any sense whatsoever:

Last night (Sunday) around 8:30pm I check my team page and I have a note for stat corrections for both Homer Bailey and Jason Kipnis.
I was bummed about the Kipnis one because 1 less hit meant that instead of tying that category, I lost it. Oh well, it was the correct ruling so whatever.

Then this morning (Monday) I login again and I see:
A stat correction was received too late to apply for Jason Kipnis on Sunday, Aug 5.
A stat correction was received too late to apply for Homer Bailey on Sunday, Aug 5.
http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com ... ns?week=17

turns out, the games in question were from July 25th/26th.
I find it suspect that MLB retroactively changed both these stats, but i suppose its possible.
So does anyone know if that was actually the case, or if Yahoo's provider :-? just missed both of them?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:28 pm

Not positive about any of this, but I think if you saw a stat correction note last night (Sunday) at 8:30 pm, I think that might have still been a note from the week before. Usually stat corrections are run over night Sunday into Monday.

It's still looking though like over half of the stat corrections listed, are listed as "too late to apply for...."
My question is, if less than half of the stat errors each week are actually being fixed, why do it at all? It's taking something that's already highly arbitrary and random and just making it more arbitrary and random.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bigh0rt » Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:02 pm

Maris09 wrote:Not positive about any of this, but I think if you saw a stat correction note last night (Sunday) at 8:30 pm, I think that might have still been a note from the week before. Usually stat corrections are run over night Sunday into Monday.

It's still looking though like over half of the stat corrections listed, are listed as "too late to apply for...."
My question is, if less than half of the stat errors each week are actually being fixed, why do it at all? It's taking something that's already highly arbitrary and random and just making it more arbitrary and random.
Because if someone is throwing punches at you I'd much rather wear 50% of them on my chin than 100% if given the choice, no? If this is as best as they can do, then I'd much rather take it than them saying, "Eh, screw it." What it sounds like Y! needs to me is a new stat provider, cause I don't think this has been an issue with ESPN at all in the years I've been there.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 370)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers