Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to apply for - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to apply for

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: A stat correction was received too late to apply for...

Postby Maris09 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:37 am

bayside wrote:its not an attack, its a call for accountability.
seriously, what day is the cutoff for when these errors are fixed and applied? its not like all these mistakes are occurring on Sunday just1 day before stats become final in h2h.

and as for the last part, its already happened in my league this year. Carlos Zambrano's 4 ER that were received but not applied, paired with Craigs lost RBI (and hit) caused a team to lose a matchup a couple weeks back.

No I know, I just got endless crap a couple years back for bringing up a stat corrections issue, and I just didn't want it to turn into that.

As for the cutoff, I think they're all done on Sunday overnight. I'm guessing they wait till the end there to report them all.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:47 am

The appropriate avenue for 'calling for accountability' seems to be the Fantasy Baseball Help or Contact sections of Yahoo!; not demanding answers from the most valuable Yahoo! resource we have here at the Cafe, and pretending like you're owed answers, the way a number of people have in the past.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby Maris09 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:44 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
The appropriate avenue for 'calling for accountability' seems to be the Fantasy Baseball Help or Contact sections of Yahoo!; not demanding answers from the most valuable Yahoo! resource we have here at the Cafe, and pretending like you're owed answers, the way a number of people have in the past.

Yep, not trying to attack anyone with this, I know everyone's doing their best. Just wondering if Genie had any insight on the change this year.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby bayside » Sun Jul 22, 2012 3:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:

nobody is demanding anything.
and fwiw, ive used the yahoo "contact" page several times and have never even received a response.
twice last year, and twice this year in fact.

the bottom line is that when they offer a service for real money, they need to be held accountable.
if they cannot find a provider that updates stat corrections for them in a timely fashion then they should not be offering pay leagues.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Genie?..A stat correction was received too late to apply

Postby Maris09 » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:18 pm

In fairness I don't play in any of the pay leagues, so I can't say if they're run any differently. Anyone in one of those?
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Maris09 » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:57 am

Update, looks like a much higher percentage of corrections done this week (week 15).
Looks like 9 out of 18 were applied in time (in my league).
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:50 pm

I've been on vacation for a while. Just got back, so a quick answer:

- We've done nothing to change how/when we handle corrections
- What we *did* do was change the messaging to make it clear which corrections came in too late to be applied
- Now that we've done so, it really makes it clear that many corrections come in too late to be applied, and people are finding it kind of noisy, so we're considering options that would just not bother you with stat corrections that don't impact your league anyway
- We can't apply corrections until they happen. Feel free to point fingers where you like, but until somebody decides to change a stat and tells us, we can't do anything
- The discussion of why we don't apply stats that come in late has been had here many times. We always do in non-H2H leagues. In H2H leagues, however, there are more "can't put the toothpaste back in the tube" kind of things, particularly around the playoffs. If we make a correction and then say, "Oh. The stats from 2 weeks ago changed. So actually you won. So actually, you DID make the playoffs. Sorry you didn't update your lineup for the last 2 weeks because you thought you'd been eliminated." etc. etc. And perhaps we could apply them in H2H matchups until the playoffs begin, but we have plenty of precedent where it is valuable to be consistent, because otherwise it confuses people nonstop. So it is more consistent and clear to just say we never apply stat corrections in H2H leagues once the matchups are over.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby bayside » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Thanks for clarifying Genie.

If all the stat corrections cannot be caught in time, then I think it would be much better to only notify leagues of the stats that are corrected.
Just my opinion, but would end a lot of confusion, and huge headaches for commishes.

Separate and unimportant issue, but why do the notifications hang around so long? Seems like they are always up for 2-3 weeks.
Last edited by bayside on Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Maris09 » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Thank you Genie.

Again I hope there is no finger pointing here, as it's been made clear that Yahoo can only work with what they're given by the stat provider.

Question: Is there any way to either ask the stat provider to send in corrections a couple of hours earlier, or have Yahoo wait for corrections a couple hours later?

Or maybe have them send everything they have on say Saturday night (as opposed to Sunday night), and that way the only corrections that might be "missed" are those that occur on a Sunday?
Just seems like there's a way around this recurring issue.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:50 pm

re: why they stick around so long
I'm pretty sure there is also a bug filed for this. We agree it is a bit much

re: asking them to send them sooner
They don't really "send us corrections". On each night they send us stats, and if we see that something changed, then we note the difference and treat it as a correction. I suppose the real question is whether the corrections reflect our provider goofing up and then fixing it, or reflect the league changing official scoring. I *think* the latter is the normal case, and there really isn't much to be done about that. But I could be wrong.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers