7/19 Cheering, Venting, & Badass Brett Lawrie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

7/19 Cheering, Venting, & Badass Brett Lawrie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

7/19 Cheering, Venting, & Badass Brett Lawrie

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:04 am

I eventually settled on today's title after originally just wishing everybody a Happy Dickey Day, and then thinking better of it... anyway...

So apparently Brett Lawrie tried some Cirque du Soleil s*** yesterday during the Yankee game and took a ridiculous tumble into the camera bay. You may call it dumb. I'm calling it a major move of badassery. I have him on both my teams this year and my phone is blowing up like the levies just broke and my friends are trying to get me to pick them up in my boat after Katrina hit; then I look at see he's gonna try and play Friday after tomorrow's off day, like a boss. All he's gotta do now is go back to smoking doubles and scoring Runs in the first inning of every game and I can go back to crushing on him like it's the 6th grade and he's the first girl who grew boobs. In no way, shape, or form are you as badass as Brett Lawrie. He's like Billy Gunn WWE Attitude Era Badass. Mr. Ass.
I'm likw 62% sure that's Lindsay Lohan, but I digress. All he's missing is the Superman cape. For real, how long until all is right in weir's world, and we're back to this action?
I think this might be my favorite non-boob related .gif of all-time. Of All-Time!

Okay, I'm just going to take a brief moment to diverge from the MLB, take my un-granted authority as the OP of this thread, and weigh in on this Jeremy Lin thing, and... no, no I'm not. I'm not gonna do it. I can't do it without profanity.

Over the last month, which pitcher has a 0.63 ERA, 0.94 WHIP, and 32 K in 28.2 innings? If you said Michael Fiers, you win a prize! There's a thread that was just starting asking to weigh on on the young fella, and despite my trying to hijack it and include Marco Estrada to steal Fiers' thunder, it's still a conversation the Cafe should absolutely be having...

If you want to read an excellent article on why you should get rid of John Lester at all costs, because he sucks, you need to read that linked article. It's a Cafe original, and aside from supporting those who write for our very own Home, like I said it's very well written and makes a compelling argument. Give it a go.

Here's the part where I blatantly rip off R.J. from two days ago because he's much more creative than I am... Lightning Round... Ian Kennedy was excellent in Cinci against a Votto-less Reds team... Jason Bay hit a Home Run!.. Lance Berkman has 1-fewer Hit since coming off the DL than Cliff Lee has Wins on the season... Matt Kemp went Beast Mode in walk-off fashion... Josh Willingham jacked his 23rd tater -- still getting treated like Rodney Dangerfield... Cody Ross jacked it twice (TWSS)... So did Matt Downs (who?) and Jason Kubel (who was apparently hurt and not even supposed to start/play, whoops!)... Doug 'Next Time I See Your Sister I'mma' Fister struck out 10 and looked real impressive... Lorenzo Cain hit his 2nd HR in as many nights and has looked very impressive since coming off the DL... Okay, that's it.

And just to close things out, here's a fun little meme for those perennially calling for instant replay and cyborg umpires... Put it in your back pocket for the next major botched call you see... You're welcome.

Today's Matchups:* (Courtesy of ESPN) <-- This is where I get them
* I'm sorry I didn't rank them from Zero to 'That's So Raven'

CLE: Jimenez (8-8, 5.09 ERA)
TB: Price (12-4, 2.80 ERA)

SF: Bumgarner (11-5, 3.15 ERA)
ATL: Hudson (7-4, 3.80 ERA)

LAA: Williams (6-6, 4.67 ERA)
DET: Scherzer (8-5, 4.84 ERA)

ARI: Saunders (4-6, 3.52 ERA)
CIN: Leake (3-6, 3.96 ERA)

BAL: Chen (7-5, 3.80 ERA)
MIN: De Vries (2-2, 4.37 ERA)

NYM: Dickey (12-1, 2.66 ERA)
WSH: Gonzalez (12-4, 2.93 ERA)

SEA: Hernandez (7-5, 2.92 ERA)
KC: Hochevar (6-8, 5.16 ERA)

MIA: Buehrle (9-8, 3.13 ERA)
CHC: Maholm (7-6, 4.33 ERA)

CHW: Quintana (4-1, 2.60 ERA)
BOS: Buchholz (8-3, 5.54 ERA)

HOU: Harrell (7-6, 4.43 ERA)
SD: Volquez (5-7, 3.69 ERA)

NYY: Garcia (4-2, 5.25 ERA)
OAK: Griffin (1-0, 2.63 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/19 Cheering, Venting, & Badass Brett Lawrie

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:47 am

@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby AussieDodger » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:05 am

I prefer this one to be honest

Morning music: It's like Chuck Norris and Bruce Lee together
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby rjforlife » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:35 am

Dickey/Gio should be a heck of a pitching matchup. Having kept Gio for 2 years and dropping Dickey in early May, I'm rooting for Gio. Plus the Mets are, well, the Mets. :-X
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby daullaz » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:34 am

bigh0rt wrote:Here's the part where I blatantly rip off R.J. from two days ago because he's much more creative than I am

We've all known it for quite some time, but it's great to hear you finally embrace the truth.

Also, you inadvertently managed to rank the matchups correctly on the Ravenness scale. What are the odds?
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby J35J » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:23 am

The problem with Lawrie being so badass is he's going to start being badass on the bench and only playing 120 games a year because he's going to be constantly dinged up all the time. He may be fine right now because he's young and his body is made of titanium but just put a couple more years on him and he won't be able to come back from all the wear and tear he puts on his body.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 369)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:39 am

@HelmetTosser13
IF U PLAY THIS GAME THE RIGHT WAY, THERE'S NOT A ****ING THING IN THIS WORLD THAT GETS BETWEEN U & MAKING A PLAY. ‪#ONELIFE‬ ‪#ONESPEED‬ ‪#DIMED‬

@HelmetTosser13
THAT CAMERA WELL COULD HAVE BEEN FILLED WITH LAVA, AND THE RAILING COVERED IN MACHETES, AND I STILL WOULD HAVE TRIED TO MAKE THAT PLAY.

https://twitter.com/helmettosser13
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby mweir145 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:45 am

bigh0rt wrote:For real, how long until all is right in weir's world, and we're back to this action?

If Lawrie is Badass Billy Gunn, does that make Bautista Road Dogg?

J35J wrote:The problem with Lawrie being so badass is he's going to start being badass on the bench and only playing 120 games a year because he's going to be constantly dinged up all the time. He may be fine right now because he's young and his body is made of titanium but just put a couple more years on him and he won't be able to come back from all the wear and tear he puts on his body.

Yeah, while I don't expect him to change, a bit more caution and a few less stupid risks like this would be nice.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:30 am

bigh0rt wrote:Image

I think NO.

top left:
Home plate ump has a clear view. Ask him, and make the right call. Takes less time.
top right:
Second base ump should have a clear view with runner(s) on. If not 3rd base should see it.
Ask them.
bottom left:
give the ump glasses or replace him.
bottom right:
think again
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:47 am

Umpires are not going to over-rule each other. They're allowed to do that already, yet they never do. So it's great in theory, but not in practice. Having an ump in a video review booth would be MUCH faster than having the manager coming out and yelling at the umps for 5 minutes. How long does it take to review a call in tennis? 5 seconds? Baseball would be just as quick... it's black and white in almost all cases, not like football where they have to see if he had two feet in bounds, made a football move before the ball started to come loose, etc. It's much simpler in baseball; was the ball in his glove before the runner touched the base? Did the ball hit the chalk line? Simple stuff... give them a few challenges per game like football or tennis. It's going to happen, it's just a matter of how long it takes to evolve.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers