On Fiers! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

On Fiers!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

On Fiers!

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:58 pm

Mike Fiers, is he this years Brandon Beachy? Comes out of nowhere, and you keep telling yourself he is going to stop putting up these numbers but he keeps doing it? Not a perfect parallel, because Beachy is an extreme strikeout pitcher (also about to undergo the knife) but can we at least count on Fiers to post a sub 3.50 ERA with a decent WHIP and a near 9 K/9 rate?
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: On Fiers!

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:10 pm

BigZ38 wrote:Mike Fiers, is he this years Brandon Beachy? Comes out of nowhere, and you keep telling yourself he is going to stop putting up these numbers but he keeps doing it? Not a perfect parallel, because Beachy is an extreme strikeout pitcher (also about to undergo the knife) but can we at least count on Fiers to post a sub 3.50 ERA with a decent WHIP and a near 9 K/9 rate?
Between Fiers and Estrada, Milwaukee suddenly has K machines who really have come out of no where. I'm a Fiers believer and think sub-3.50 is a reasonable high end expectation, given his SIERA, xFIP, and ZiPS Projections for the remainder of the year. He seems to be a definite gem on the WW. Estrada, similarly has a K/9 over 10, a 3.07 xFIP and a 2.72 SIERA, though ZiPS projects a 4.28 ERA for the remainder of the year, presumably due to his .265 BABIP, though I also expect his HR/FB to possibly normalize. These guys are reasonable starters in even very shallow leagues at this point.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby WaCougMBS » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:10 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
BigZ38 wrote:Mike Fiers, is he this years Brandon Beachy? Comes out of nowhere, and you keep telling yourself he is going to stop putting up these numbers but he keeps doing it? Not a perfect parallel, because Beachy is an extreme strikeout pitcher (also about to undergo the knife) but can we at least count on Fiers to post a sub 3.50 ERA with a decent WHIP and a near 9 K/9 rate?
Between Fiers and Estrada, Milwaukee suddenly has K machines who really have come out of no where. I'm a Fiers believer and think sub-3.50 is a reasonable high end expectation, given his SIERA, xFIP, and ZiPS Projections for the remainder of the year. He seems to be a definite gem on the WW. Estrada, similarly has a K/9 over 10, a 3.07 xFIP and a 2.72 SIERA, though ZiPS projects a 4.28 ERA for the remainder of the year, presumably due to his .265 BABIP, though I also expect his HR/FB to possibly normalize. These guys are reasonable starters in even very shallow leagues at this point.

Mmm hmm ;-D
2012 H2HWS West A champion
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Skin Blues » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Seems to be the real deal. And I've always liked Estrada, too. Not bad targets if you can get their owners to think they're selling high.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 120)

Postby snash » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:27 am

You guys really think this guy is for real with a upper 80's fastball? I am just going along for the ride, since 3 starts ago. So far, it's been a fun ride. O:-)
snash
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:32 am

snash wrote:You guys really think this guy is for real with a upper 80's fastball? I am just going along for the ride, since 3 starts ago. So far, it's been a fun ride. O:-)
His K/9 is pretty consistent with what he showed in the minors. Despite not being overpowering with velocity, there's reason to believe it'll continue based on history.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 351)

Postby Ender » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:39 am

The Brewers minor system has been grossly underrated for 2 years now, they were a top 15 system that consistently rated in the bottom 10 for no good reason other than the fact that it was a young system. This does not surprise me even a little bit, they have a ton of guys which will make an impact soon and nobody 'knows about'.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Return to Baseball Leftovers