McCutchen for Braun and Greinke Keeper League - WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

McCutchen for Braun and Greinke Keeper League - WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

McCutchen for Braun and Greinke Keeper League - WHIR

Postby Tosabigdog » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:42 am

5x5 keeper league, $310 cap, can keep 11

Was offered Braun ($45) and Greinke ($26) for McCutchen ($14)

I'd probably be dropping R. Davis and Wandy.

Seems like a no-brainer but am I missing something. Rest of keeper prospects:

Encarnacion ($6), Cuddyer ($14), D. Jennings ($18), Willingham ($6), Votto ($16), Sale ($16), Vogelsong ($6), Pedroia ($16), V. Martinez ($6), Dickey ($6)
Tosabigdog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: McCutchen for Braun and Greinke Keeper League - WHIR

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am

Well it is a no brainer for this year only. McCutchen at $14 is a steal of a keeper and will probably be that way for the next few years. While Braun at $45 is probably not worth keeping next year and Greinke might not be worth keeping either depending on where he lands as a free agent. Some of this depends on how much a players salary increase year to year. So if you think you can make a run with a good chance of winning it all then make the deal. If not then you keep McCutchen here. While the deal is crazy good right now, it won't be a good deal next year.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 369)

Postby TLHKnight » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:22 am

I'm bearish on Greinke. He's going to land a big contract and the pressure will be that much worse on him. And if he ends up with a contender this year, you never know how the pressure messes him up. I just don't think he can hack it in a high-pressure pennant race or long-term. McCutchen looks like the real deal for a keeper, so I'd definitely go for it.

viewtopic.php?t=450678
TLHKnight
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby pjtroy34 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:57 am

I guess if it allows you to win your league this year then pull the trigger, but I definitely don't like it for next year and beyond.
The question I always ask myself is: if I don't keep any of these players can I buy them back at or near their current number?

Without knowing the parameters/nuances of your league my gut tells me:
Braun at $45, probably...may cost me a little more, but it'll be in the ballpark either way.
Greinke at $26, most likely...again, may be inflated based on where he signs, but in the ballpark.
McCutchen at $14, no way in hell. He's in Braun territory now.
So if this were in one of my leagues I'd be dealing one of the best values for two people I wouldn't be keeping...trump card would be whether I think these two are exactly what I need to put me over the top for this year.

viewtopic.php?t=450689
pjtroy34
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions