Enough for Lawrie in a keeper? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Enough for Lawrie in a keeper?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Enough for Lawrie in a keeper?

Postby captoats85 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:21 pm

With the loss of Morales (pen), Floyd (DL), I'm in need of a few solid starters in my 12 team league.

I've been offered David Freese, Homer Bailey, Christian Yelich and Jeff Samardzija for Brett Lawrie.

Lawrie was a potential keeper for me - - we keep 8 major leaguers -- but without him I could still keep Verlander, Price, Darvish, Cabrera, CarGo, McCutchen, Trout, and either Kipnis, Lester or McDonald.

Lawrie has been a mild disappointment, but not "bad," though he can be better than this down the road. He's just 21-22 years old.

Freese would replace Lawrie as my 3B. He hasn't been as good as Lawrie, but not too much worse. I also have Middlebrooks in my minors to call up. I use Cabrera at 1B. Bailey and Samardzija would replace Blackley and Morales (or Jerome Williams).

Yelich is a pretty good prospect - top 20 kind of guy. We keep 6 prospects as well, so he'd be in the mix there.

I'm actually torn on this deal. Bailey and Samardzia aren't top of the line guys, but are pretty easily preferable to the guys I'd dump to make room (Blackley, Morales, J.Williams). Those guys are barely ownable. The top scoring FA SP right now in this league are Westbrook, Saunders, Harrell, and Millwood. And though Lawrie has a lot of potential, I wouldn't be hurting for keepers, still have good 3B options, and am in position to win now.

I could maybe try to get Hosmer instead of Freese.
captoats85
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Enough for Lawrie in a keeper?

Postby MashinSpuds » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:23 pm

I think you should make this deal, whether it's Freese or Hosmer. Freese should be a decent horizontal move from Lawrie, so I don't think you'll suffer much this year if you get him. Hosmer may take patience, or at least, you'd have to be willing to get through any bumps he continues to experience. He would be the bigger upside pick for next year.

Bailey/Samardzija aren't world beaters but they'll help fill the ranks. Yelich is a good guy to have for your prospect group. I see a win all around for you in this deal, no matter who you choose.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Re: Enough for Lawrie in a keeper?

Postby MaudDib » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 am

I don't like it. While Lawrie might not be a keeper for you when the season is over, you aren't getting anything all that useful to deal him. You downgrade to Freese. Bailey and Smardzija are ok SP but are likely to have some rough spots in the second half and while they might be upgrades over a few of your SP, it doesn't mean you should trade away a solid 3B option for them. I just don't think this really helps you.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move."- Douglas Adams

MaudDib
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 264)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions