Trading keepers for studs - Who to target/offer? WHIR!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trading keepers for studs - Who to target/offer? WHIR!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trading keepers for studs - Who to target/offer? WHIR!!

Postby Lenny6 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:52 pm

I'm in second place, one game out of first in a 12-team fantasy Point H2H keeper league and I'm looking to pick up some top-grade talent for the stretch run and playoffs. Who would you target to improve my roster and who would you offer without leaving the cupboard bare for next season in terms of keepers? my roster:

C M.Montero $6
1B A.Dunn $5
2B R.Cano $15 (final year)
3B P.Sandoval $10
SS Y.Escobar $2
OF M.Holiday $20
OF A.McCutchen $7
OF D.Fowler $6
DH/1B B.Butler $4

SP F.Hernandez $36
SP Z.Greinke $27
SP R.Dempster $9
SP I.Kennedy $6
SP M.Buehrle $5
SP R.Oswalt $6
RP R.Soriano

Bench 1B E.Hosmer $2
Bench 3B M.Moustakas $4
Bench OF M.Stanton $2
Bench SP W.Chen $6
Bench SP E.Jackson $3
Bench SP J,Jurrjens $6
Bench SP M.Leake $4

DL T.Lilly $7

Minors SP M.Perez $1
Minors 3B A.Rendon $1
Minors SP T.Skaggs $1

Some players that are available and have vultures circling over are:

TEAM A: A.Gonzalez $33, A.Ethier $13 (final year), S.Strasburg $11 (final year)
TEAM B: R.Halladay $38, A.Pujols $35, R.Zimmerman $11 (final year)
TEAM C: H.Ramirez $23
TEAM D (actually the first place team) has Troy Tulowitzki ($27) on his trade block and was interested in Dempster and Jurrjens

Some parameters are that the salary cap per team is $260 (I'm at $207 right now) and a maximum of 11 pitchers is allowed on the active roster (most teams carry the max). For all eligible keepers (excluding minors) salary goes up by $2 next year. So which players would you try to rade for and who would you offer as the trade bait?

Thanks, and I will help in return if you leave a link!
Lenny6
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trading keepers for studs - Who to target/offer? WHIR!!

Postby pcm4 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:34 pm

Thanks for the help with mine. I think the best way I can give my perspective is to tell you the guys that I would avoid from your list given that your goal is to win this year.

Offensive Players:
-R. Zimmerman (I own him and while I am enjoying his mini resurgence do not trust his health for the rest of the year)

-Tulo (Even if he could come back this year the Rockies will probably be out of contention meaning they could choose to just shut him down for the year once he heals in order to protect their investment)

Pitchers:
-Strasburg (innings cap)

In addition I am not a huge Ethier fan because I think he is injury prone, but that is your call. I like Pujols and Gonzalez for the rest of the season so they might be attractive options while you chase the title this year. I was going to put Hanley on the list because I don't think he is going to rebound to the Hanley of old, but even if he doesn't I think he'll still be an upgrade over Escobar so he's another guy that you could target. Halladay is Halladay so obviously he is an attractive target.

As for guys you should offer as bait out of your starting offensive players I think you can move Dunn and you can definitely move Fowler (Fowler's home/road splits are so extreme that I don't like him for the playoffs). Out of the non bench pitchers I'd move Kennedy or Oswalt. See if you can get anyone to buy into the names of either of them (both play in terrible home parks and Oswalt is just old). You could move Dempster or Buehrle as long as you are getting another pitcher back. As for your bench I'd hold onto Hosmer and Moose although it depends on how many keepers you can have. Stanton at that price is definitely untouchable. The rest you could move no problem imo. I don't play in keeper leagues so I can't comment on your minor league guys. Hope this helps although as I noted previously without knowing how many keepers you can have you have to take my perspective with a grain of salt.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)

Re: Trading keepers for studs - Who to target/offer? WHIR!!

Postby baegames » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:25 pm

Thanks for the help on mine.

Though I love him, I would try to deal Stanton to a team playing for next year, but you need to take back quite a haul.

As for players I would not want to trade: #1 is Andrew McCutchen
baegames
General Manager
General Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 209)

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions