waiver wire help - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

waiver wire help

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

waiver wire help

Postby garretterik » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:29 pm

I am finally dropping Gardner. Who do I pick up?
I am second and need K, WHIP, and ERA.
(Have a Rizzo for Gallardo trade proposal out to the Votto owner)

I feel like Lind/Brantley/Ruggiano should be owned in a 12 team league, but don't know if I have starting space for them.
I am intrigued by Sheets, Quintana, Morales, and Fiers as SP
Cischek, Romo, and Downs could give help with Saves and WHIP/ERA (should I drop Axford for one of these guys? Axe is killing me! :-[ )
I am going to keep an eye on FFrancisco and Cashner for when they come off the DL

12 team Yahoo Roto 5x5 standard (non-keeper)

My team:
C Yadier Molina (StL - C)
1B Paul Goldsmith (Ari-1B)
2B Ben Zobrist (TB - 2B,OF)
3B David Freese (StL - 3B)
SS Hanley Ramirez (Mia - SS, 3B)
OF Jay Bruce (Cin - OF)
OF Michael Bourn (Atl - OF)
OF Yoenis Cespedes (Oak - OF)
Util Tony Rizzo (ChC-1B)
Util Pablo Sandoval (SF - 1B,3B)
BN Will Middlebrooks (BOS-3B)
BN Neil Walker (Pit-2B)
BN Bret Gardner NYY-OF)DL
DL Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS)
Pitchers
SP CC Sabathia (NYY - SP) DL
SP Jake Peavy (CWS-SP)
RP Addison Reed (CWS - RP)
RP John Axford (MIl-RP)
P Madison Bumgarner (SF - SP)
P Ryan Cook (Oak-RP)
P Johnny Cueto (Cin - SP)
BN AJ Burnett (Pit-SP)
BN Tom Wilhemsen (Sea-RP)
BN Trevor Bauer (Ari-SP)

WW:

(bats)Lind, Chipper, Coco Crisp, Garrett Jones, Omar Infante, Revere, BMoss(Oak-1B,OF), Avila, CYoung(Ari), Maybin, LMorrison(Mai-OF), Brantley, Saunders, Ruggiano, Stubbs, Amarista, Ciriaco
(arms)FFrancisco(NYM-RP)DL, BMorrowDL, SDowns, McCarthyDL, Parker(Oak-SP), Quintana, Jimenez(Cle-SP),Morales(Bos-SP), Oswalt, Helickson, Milone, Fiers, Richard, Vargas, Hochevar, SRomo, Oveido, CashnerDL, Hughes, Furbush, Sheets, Cischek, KRod
garretterik Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Re: waiver wire help

Postby Tosabigdog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:39 pm

I like Fiers the best of those listed. I've had a chance to see him pitch, being from Milw. Right now batters are having a hard time picking up the ball out of his hand, even though he only tops out around 90. Teams may catch up with him the next time they see him, but hard to argue with what he's done so far. I just dealt him for Choo (needed to replace Votto and had Cuddyer that I could move to 1B).
Tosabigdog
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: waiver wire help

Postby pcm4 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 pm

Thanks for the help with mine. I would pick up a pitcher at this point given your needs although obviously that could change depending on your current trade offer. Out of the relievers you put up I'd take Romo because his ratios are insane, he has the best K potential, he will pick up a rogue save here and there and Casilla has been having some mild fatigue issues which could mean more if not all of the save opportunities in the future.

If you wanted to pick up an SP I'd actually kick the tires on Sheets. Quintana has been having a nice season, but is bound to regress slightly and isn't going to do much in the K dept. We have no idea how long Fiers will be in the rotation and I would stay away from Morales just because of the home park and division.

Sheets is obviously a huge injury risk, but playing in the NL is a plus and ATL has been pretty good this year which could mean a nice win total if he keeps it up. I think he's worth the risk at this point. Worst case scenario he doesn't pan out the next few starts and you pick up somebody else. If he keeps pitching well he won't stay on the WW for long. In addition my personal preference for a back of the rotation starter is to go for upside.
pcm4
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 8)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions