Trout offer I can't refuse? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Trout offer I can't refuse?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Trout offer I can't refuse?

Postby Fantasy GM » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:52 pm

I play in a 12-team, H2H points league where we keep 4 players at the end of the season. My team is currently atop the standings, so chances are I'll be around come playoff time. My team's MVP and sure keeper is, of course, Trout. Teams have asked me about his availability; he will only be traded if I receive a motherload of talent that would make me the easy favorite to win this season. Well, that giant offer may have arrived.

A team is willing to offer: Granderson + CC for Trout + Niese OR Hanson (who do you prefer?).

Pros: CC as my 4th SP would terrify the entire league because ace SP's can carry a team. Our scoring system for pitchers rewards quality starts and the ability to consistently go deep into games (pts per IP). Granderson is a good OF with plenty of run-producing power. Would have to be considered a win-now move.

Cons: Trout is a 20-year old superstar-in-the-making and I'd be losing him here. Grandy and CC aren't young. CC is likely still a keeper due to the value an ace has, but Grandy wouldn't be. Halladay, Lee and Pujols aren't getting any younger from a keeper perspective.

Math from this season alone:
-Trout leads all hitters in points-per-game (4.0). Granderson averages 2.8 ppg. For comparison's sake, Kemp and McCutchen put up 3.8 ppg while guys like Beltran and Bautista are posting 2.9ppg. Is Trout too valuable?
-CC averages 16.1 points-per-start (Verlander leads SP's with 22.1 pps). CC's pps so far is right there with Jordan Zimmermann and CJ Wilson. Last season, CC posted 17.4pps. With a strong 2nd half, does he approach that again?
-Niese averages 13.4 pps and Hanson 11.3 pps. Cliff Lee's rough 1st half had him putting up 13.2 pps. Lee will surely improve on that average (he was 2nd with 21.8 pps last year), but is Niese or Hanson the better investment for the rest of 2012?
Although we care more about how the players perform going forward, the numbers simply serve as a reference.

Roster
C - JP Arencibia
1B - Albert Pujols
2B - Ian Kinsler
3B - Brett Lawrie
SS - Derek Jeter
OF - Nelson Cruz/Adam Jones/Mike Trout
UTL - Allen Craig (OF/1B)
SP (12 starts/week) - Justin Verlander/Roy Halladay/Cliff Lee/RA Dickey/Josh Johnson/Tommy Hanson/Jonathan Niese/Ricky Nolaso/Bartolo Colon/Jose Quintana/Roy Oswalt/Chris Young
RP (3 slots) - Kenley Jansen/Rafael Soriano/Scott Downs
P (1 slot) - Alexi Ogando (once he returns from DL)
Fantasy GM
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Trout offer I can't refuse?

Postby MurrayKy » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:14 pm

I'd rather keep Verlander, Trout and Halladay/Lee/Pujols.

Taking the trade, you'd probably keep Verlander, CC, and Pujols/Lee/Halladay?

It's kinda who do you value more, CC or Trout. In the long run, Granderson would be gone anyways. Neise and Hanson aren't worth keeping.

And I would value Trout more. You've already got a great selection of pitchers to select from in keeping after Verlander, and Trout could be a top 5 hitter next year.

Help with mine?
viewtopic.php?t=450566
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Largentium » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:41 pm

Been going back and forth on this one. I personally would keep Trout because of the age of your other keepers. However, I can see taking the shot at winning it this year. As for Niese vs. Hanson, I prefer Hanson's stuff over Niese's despite lesser results so far.
Largentium
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby CDAG02 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:45 pm

Tough call but I think you've got the pitching without CC to go far and players like Trout don't come around very often. For this year alone, I'd rather have the Granderson/CC side but moving forward I'd rather have Trout than either of those. I think I'd hold off if I were you.
CDAG02
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Thursday » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:16 pm

I think i would keep your Trout side. Your SP is fine without Sabathia. I suppose Grandy would take Trout's spot, but i just like Trout too much in a keeper. Decline, especially since you're in first, i think you've got the goods to go the distance.

Help out?

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=450577
Thursday
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Quackman » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:53 pm

id reject. its a keeper so trout just has too much value. It goes way beyond how many points he gets right now. I mean he is just starting his career, who knows how good he is gonna get and to have him locked up for many years is way too valuable.

Only way i trade trout, is if someone drastically overpays and it includes a young stud type guy that you will have for years. Like Cutch and Sale packaged together. just an example, i could see accepting a little less.

id hold tight unless you get something amazing.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Fran1508 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:23 pm

I would reject man. Trout is just too valuable. You absolutely cannot trade him in a keeper league unless someone pays through the nose. You just aren't getting enough back. You need to get at least two sure-fire keepers in a trade for him, and unless those guys are first rounders, I probably wouldnt do it. Please help me....
viewtopic.php?t=450581
Fran1508
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Waterhorse » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Dude, I don't think most people would consider doing that.

I offered way more in one league and was refused. Most people think he's the second coming even though he's only played less than a half a year.

I offered Cano, Wright, Kershaw for trout and Kinsler - no go
Waterhorse
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions