Yahoo question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Yahoo question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo question

Postby beisbol4ever94928 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:10 am

So a dispute has arisen recently in my league. It involves a trade. I have it set up for commish approval and I approve all trades unless evidence of collusion. IMO this wasn't a bad trade but nevertheless someone complained. They then complained about it not being a league vote even though it has been commish decision all year. I decided to go further then I needed and opened a vote on our facebook group page where we do league business. It is a 12 team league and I said 7 of 12 needed to agree for further action. That is a bare majority which is what I always specified for other votes previously though none of those votes were regarding a trade. The manager again complained about the 7 of 12 because the two managers were obviously in favor which leaves just 10 teams to muster together 7 votes. Normally I would be willing to compromise and DQ the two managers, making the votes needed 6 of 10, but ive already gone further then I should have imo. Now the guy is claiming that because we are using yahoo that yahoo "laws" should be adhered to. And he claims that yahoo only requires 30 percent vote to veto a trade. Which is where my question is:

Is it accurate that in yahoo fantasy baseball only a 30% vote is required to veto a trade? Can someone please give me a link that explains their rule?

Thanks in advance!
beisbol4ever94928
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Yahoo question

Postby GRIN » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:02 am

beisbol4ever94928 wrote:So a dispute has arisen recently in my league. It involves a trade. I have it set up for commish approval and I approve all trades unless evidence of collusion. IMO this wasn't a bad trade but nevertheless someone complained. They then complained about it not being a league vote even though it has been commish decision all year. I decided to go further then I needed and opened a vote on our facebook group page where we do league business. It is a 12 team league and I said 7 of 12 needed to agree for further action. That is a bare majority which is what I always specified for other votes previously though none of those votes were regarding a trade. The manager again complained about the 7 of 12 because the two managers were obviously in favor which leaves just 10 teams to muster together 7 votes. Normally I would be willing to compromise and DQ the two managers, making the votes needed 6 of 10, but ive already gone further then I should have imo. Now the guy is claiming that because we are using yahoo that yahoo "laws" should be adhered to. And he claims that yahoo only requires 30 percent vote to veto a trade. Which is where my question is:

Is it accurate that in yahoo fantasy baseball only a 30% vote is required to veto a trade? Can someone please give me a link that explains their rule?

Thanks in advance!

League Votes
In a custom or public league set for league votes as the trade-review method, a protest from one-third of managers will result in a veto. So, a 12-team league requires four votes for a veto.
We always round fractions up, so a 10-team league also requires four votes, even though one-third of 10 is actually three-and-a-third

http://help.yahoo.com/kb/index?page=con ... sions=true
20 team baseball H2H keeper league
14 team basketball H2H keeper league (looking for expansion teams)
20 team hockey H2H keeper league
MLB Beat the Streak
ESPN Streak for the Cash
GRIN
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 22)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:30 pm

I have never played in a Yahoo league but having a third of the managers being able to control if a trade goes through or not is not very good. I don't see how a trade could ever be made. There are always 3 or 4 guys in every league that will veto a trade just because they don't want anyone to improve his team. == As far as your situation where you allowed a vote when it had been Commish Vetos all year was very wrong. You are playing favorites. Tell the guy to look at the rules and abide by them or quit the league.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 64)

Postby converge241 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:30 am

You should only default to "Yahoo Rules" as a default if you have no rules addressing an issue.
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 121)

Postby Quackman » Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:59 pm

You shouldnt have even gave the option of a vote. If your rule is that you review and decide, than you should have just made a decision and stuck with it. Trying to please everyone just wont work alot of the time. Especially if you had that as a setting from the start. People joined the league with those settings in place and should abide by your decisions.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 149)

Postby mkultra » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:57 am

This is why having a written Constitution for your league is a great idea ;-D
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 50)

Postby yankee04 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:03 pm

You should just abide by the rules you set. There is nothing wrong with asking for other people's opinion on the issue but there should not have been an official vote on it. It should be your choice in the end because of the way you set the rules.

I prefer my league to be vote based (with majority + 1 veto required for an overturn) rather than commissioner veto only but that is just my preference. However on Yahoo, I do realize they only require 1/3 for an overturn which I still think is kind of ridiculous. When I was a beginner in fantasy, I started on Yahoo and wondered whether trading was even possible since it always got vetoed.

A good commissioner just sets the rules and follows them exactly as written. When you do that, no one can complain. They agreed to the rules by signing up for the league so there can be no argument. A well written league constitution makes it easy for both the commissioner and the league itself.
yankee04
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:32 pm

The first mistake was opening it up to a vote in my opinion. The rules are the rules and all season the rule was the commish reviewed all trades. If you had made your stance on trades known (unless there is collusion, they're going thru) the manager(s) against the trade should provide a reason for why they believe collusion is taking place, otherwise, it stands.

Like another person said, a clear constitution is the best way to go, especially when you as commish have certain powers the league must follow.

Again, the matter should have never come down to a vote as that appears to be a rule change midseason. In the future, if you do switch to a league vote setup, the 2 owners involved in the deal should not be given a vote in the matter.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Commissioner's Corner