Will Desmond Jennings turn it around? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Desmond Jennings turn it around?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Desmond Jennings turn it around?

Postby mayor quimby » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:07 am

So, Desmond Jennings was my 4th pick and since then I have nothing but regret.

Do you guys think he's gonna bounce back?
mayor quimby
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Will Desmond Jennings turn it around?

Postby jcook3127 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:20 am

Nah I just think he was a blunder by most experts and fans this year..this is not to say that Jennings won't be an all-star in years to come..and I know hindsight is 20/20 but this seems like a situation where we shouldn't have been as excited as we were..

15.6 hr/fly rate last year..10 homers in 65 games (vs 5 this year in basically the same plate appearances)...the speed is still there..but even last year his batting average was pretty poor...his contact rate is pretty poor for the type of player that he theoretically should be..

It feels like a case where people saw 10/20/.260 in 65 games and assumed we'd be looking at 20/45/.285 ...in hindsight, it makes sense that the homer rate is too inflated and that his strike outs and contact rate don't scream good average.. the difference in BABIP from '11 to '12 is almost the difference in his real life average..which suggests that Jennings has not progressed at all in a year where many thought he'd break out..

Again, it all seems like it makes sense now but we were fooled here...Jennings is just not good right now. RIGHT NOW he is a .255 hitter with 15 HR power and 50 steal potential...but he's not hitting or walking enough for runs/rbi's or even to remain at the top of the struggling Rays offense..

I'll take another look next year, but would not hesitate to trade him away if you can get any value for his name...in a keeper obviously you're gonna have to bite the bullet this year and hope for the best next year..
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Baseball Leftovers