2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby Mcmatto » Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:49 pm

So i have both Axford and BRandon League in my league. My only current active closer is Broxton. Are Axford and league worth holding onto thru the trade deadline? Some spec adds im considering are
1) Balfour
and
2) Holland?

any other good options or should i hang on to both or neither? We dont have Holds or Wins as a category
Mcmatto
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:14 pm

anyone stashing Gregerson or Thayer in case Street gets traded? Padres are going to try and resign Street. (and Quentin)
According to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com, the Padres are now planning to try to sign Carlos Quentin and Huston Street to multi-year deals.
Quentin and Street are popular trade targets this month, but both players have indicated a desire to stay in San Diego. Quentin is a San Diego native, so the match makes sense. There is some uncertainty with the Padres' ownership at the moment, but Heyman was told that current owner John Moores and presumptive new owner Ron Fowler have given approval to sign Quentin and Street to new multi-year pacts. Of course, it's possible the Padres are putting this out there as a way to raise the asking price from prospective suitors and it's possible they could put one or both players on the market if they can't make progress in contract talks before July 31.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Skin Blues » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:03 pm

Makes no sense for them to re-sign Street. He's playing great right now but has a long injury history and reliever free agent signings rarely turn out well because of their age when they sign them, and they're already at their peak value. Although with new owners, who knows what their plan is? It's still the most likely situation to see an incumbent closer be traded, in my opinion.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby Justin_Case » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:12 pm

White Sox up 1-0 going into the bottom of the ninth and Thornton comes in for the save, I'm assuming this is because 2/3 batters to be faced were lefties. Thornton gives up two singles (to the two lefties) and then Reed comes in and promptly gives up a 3-run HR to end the game.

On a scale of 1-10 how concerned should Reed owners be by this? I was a little surprised he didn't come in to start the 9th.
Justin_Case
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com gets the impression the Rockies would be willing to deal closer Rafael Betancourt.
The Rockies are out of the race, so they should be willing to listen to anyone in theory. However, Betancourt will make just $4.25 million next season and his contract includes $4.25M mutual option or a $250,000 buyout for 2014, so he'll likely cost more than a rental-type like Brett Myers or Francisco Rodriguez. For what it's worth, Heyman hears that the Rockies "seem pretty set" on keeping Matt Belisle.

could one speculate that this could mean Belisle is the guy to close if Betancourt is traded?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Re: Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby Mr November » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Skin Blues wrote:Makes no sense for them to re-sign Street. He's playing great right now but has a long injury history and reliever free agent signings rarely turn out well because of their age when they sign them, and they're already at their peak value. Although with new owners, who knows what their plan is? It's still the most likely situation to see an incumbent closer be traded, in my opinion.

I'd guess this is their way of trying to up his value. If everyone knows they have to/want to trade him, they won't get as much back.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Mr November
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby NZ Eff » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:55 am

Justin_Case wrote:White Sox up 1-0 going into the bottom of the ninth and Thornton comes in for the save, I'm assuming this is because 2/3 batters to be faced were lefties. Thornton gives up two singles (to the two lefties) and then Reed comes in and promptly gives up a 3-run HR to end the game.

On a scale of 1-10 how concerned should Reed owners be by this? I was a little surprised he didn't come in to start the 9th.

Simply Ventura getting cute and playing match-ups with just a 1 run cushion. Reed has been very good as the Sox closer. Expectant growing pains for the young rookie closer but overall he looks solid.
NZ Eff
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Matchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby daullaz » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:35 am

New Bottom of the 9th up on our front page:

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/2012 ... ot9720.php
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:17 am

Important to keep in mind, as I mentioned in an earlier post and plenty of other places have said - Mil could be killing 2 birds with on stone in KRod: giving axford a temporary break and showcasing KRod for a deal and h may or may not close on a "new team"

The Brewers plan on John Axford regaining his closer job as soon as possible.
"The reason you turn it over is because of the impatience of people - the media, the fans, everybody else," said general manager Doug Melvin. "He's still got the best arm on the club." Francisco Rodriguez has converted both save chances since assuming the closer role, though he's done so in very shaky fashion. It's possible K-Rod could be dealt this month.
Related: Francisco Rodriguez
Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel Jul 20 - 9:33 AM
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby converge241 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:03 am

Keep an eye on Francisco Cordero in Houston if/when Myers is traded (of course though Hou has no real use for him per se either so he could be dealt as well)
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers