2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby rotoquest » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:03 pm

Axford doesn't even sound like someone you want closing games. Hello K-Rod, I'm one of your new owners.

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mlb/ga ... e&c_id=mil
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TitsMcGahee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:19 pm

rotoquest wrote:Axford doesn't even sound like someone you want closing games. Hello K-Rod, I'm one of your new owners.

Why do you say that?
TitsMcGahee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 4)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby rotoquest » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:44 pm

TitsMcGahee wrote:
rotoquest wrote:Axford doesn't even sound like someone you want closing games. Hello K-Rod, I'm one of your new owners.

Why do you say that?

On Axford: "I let it go," he said. "That's all there is to it."

Feeling like he sorta released it because he couldn't hang on to it. That's what I takeaway from this statement.
rotoquest
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 194)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:51 pm

Axford out, Rodriguez in.
John Axford has been demoted to a setup role.
Axford blew a 2-0 lead on Monday night against the division-rival Cardinals and is sporting a brutal 5.35 ERA through 37 total innings this year. Taking his place in the ninth inning will be Francisco Rodriguez, who is capable of keeping the role for the remainder of the 2012 season.

Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Tuesday that Francisco Rodriguez is the team's new ninth-inning man.
John Axford and his 5.35 ERA will shift to a setup role. K-Rod has fanned 39 batters in 41 2/3 innings this season and is capable of locking up each save opportunity given to him over the season's final couple months. He's suddenly a must-have again in fantasy leagues.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 77)

Postby Justin_Case » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:58 pm

Capps may be headed back to the DL

Yahoo/Rotowire are saying:
"Capps, who recently returned from the DL due to a sore shoulder, has soreness again in his shoulder and will be examined by doctors, ESPN 1500 am Twin Cities reports.
Recommendation: It's not clear if he'll be available to pitch, but we assume he'll be out a few days at a minimum. Glen Perkins and Jared Burton will continue to split closing duties while Capps is out. (Rotowire.com)"

As a Capps owner I fear this might get into Santos territory where a seemingly minor injury blows up.

*Update - I've seen some confirmation on twitter that he will indeed head back to the DL but no word on how serious.

So Burton or Perkins? Perkins has the last 2 saves but one blown save since then and is a lefty. Burton had the 2 saves prior to that.
Last edited by Justin_Case on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin_Case
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby West » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:14 pm

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, the Mets are "paying close attention to" Jonathan Broxton.
The Kansas City closer has already drawn interest from multiple contending teams and seems highly likely to be moved at this year's July 31 trade deadline. Broxton has a 2.14 ERA and 22 saves in 26 chances this season.

This drops Parnell's value down as I imagine that he'll likely set up for Broxton.

Greg Holland becomes a very strong speculative add right now as he will also contribute in holds, K's and ratios in the meantime. He's been lights out for the last month and a half.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby saemick » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:54 pm

while I try to post sparingly in this thread b/c i usually leave it to others who have updated info, I can't think of a better place to ask this and I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Anyway, with limited roster space, would you drop Parnell for K-Rod?
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)

Postby IndyPostman » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:07 pm

With trade deadline approaching, the following is current consensus of top spec-adds. Any further input is appreciated:

1) KC - Broxton traded: Holland top add/ Tim Collins 2nd

2) SD - Street traded: Gregerson top add/Thayer close second

3) Hou - Myers traded: Lyon top add/Lopez close second

4) Col - Betancourt traded: Belisle top add/Brothers second

5) Min - Capps out extended period: Perkins and Burton sharing

6) Mia - Bell demoted: Cishek top add/Choate, Mujica and Dunn all worth adding
IndyPostman
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby jcook3127 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:46 pm

saemick wrote:while I try to post sparingly in this thread b/c i usually leave it to others who have updated info, I can't think of a better place to ask this and I'm sure there are others in the same boat.

Anyway, with limited roster space, would you drop Parnell for K-Rod?

Yes I would.. K-Rod is getting save chances right now..couple that with the fact that the Mets are a solid bet to become closer buyers at the deadline and Parnell struggling recently and I think that move makes sense..

if K-Rod performs well (and he should), then it doesn't even matter what the Mets do or don't do, K-Rod will just be a more valuable fantasy player
Why don't they just get a house that's already painted?
jcook3127
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby converge241 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:26 am

Be careful though Krod could be moved as well, depending on what team he ended up with though he could still close for some.

Theres been a few blurbs that say or imply that part of the reason they may have finally made the switch (because remember axford has blown a LOT) was to "showcase" Krod more. Even if they dont trade him/dont become sellers it was obviosuly the right move to make right now but there was likely this factor in the decision.

Hes still worth the shot though for your fantasy teams of course!
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 100)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers