2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby Skin Blues » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:54 pm

So, Pestano instead of Perez. Pestano has been bad lately and Perez has been lights out, so is this an injury or a personal issue? Only thing I could find was this:

The Indians continued to produce surprises from the bullpen as Pestano, not Chris Perez, pitched the ninth. Pestano earned his first save of the season as he pitched around a single by Murphy. There was no word on why Perez was not available.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... t_4-3.html
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bwanna » Mon Sep 03, 2012 12:40 am

Skin Blues wrote:So, Pestano instead of Perez. Pestano has been bad lately and Perez has been lights out, so is this an injury or a personal issue? Only thing I could find was this:

The Indians continued to produce surprises from the bullpen as Pestano, not Chris Perez, pitched the ninth. Pestano earned his first save of the season as he pitched around a single by Murphy. There was no word on why Perez was not available.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ss ... t_4-3.html

link

Manager Manny Acta said closer Chris Perez would rejoin the team on Tuesday in Detroit. Perez's wife Melanie gave birth to a daughter, Madelyn, on Saturday. Perez has recorded 33 of the Indians' 36 saves this season. Vinnie Pestano saved Saturday night's game by recording the final four outs. Tony Sipp and Nick Hagadone, who is out for the season with a broken hand, have one apiece.
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 247)

Postby daullaz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 pm

Jansen back in two weeks. May get four or five saves from him if you hang onto him at this point.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby GiantsFan14 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:35 pm

daullaz wrote:Jansen back in two weeks. May get four or five saves from him if you hang onto him at this point.

is he going on the DL?
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:33 pm

GiantsFan14 wrote:
daullaz wrote:Jansen back in two weeks. May get four or five saves from him if you hang onto him at this point.

is he going on the DL?

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think teams have any reason to put players on the DL in September with expanded rosters. before September with 25 man rosters a team has to put a player on the DL to add another player to the roster for that time period. now with rosters expanded to whatever, no need for the DL. unless I missremember.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby jackie hayes » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:42 am

SpecialFNK wrote:
GiantsFan14 wrote:

is he going on the DL?

I could be wrong on this, but I don't think teams have any reason to put players on the DL in September with expanded rosters. before September with 25 man rosters a team has to put a player on the DL to add another player to the roster for that time period. now with rosters expanded to whatever, no need for the DL. unless I missremember.

Late, but that's right. The call-up joins the 25-man roster while the injured player is removed from it. With full 40-man rosters available now, the 15-day dl is pointless. Farewell, stashees! :,-(

Edit: I think there are some exceptions to this -- a playoff club may want to have 'enough' players on the dl at the end of the year that those spots can be used as wild cards in choosing players for the postseason roster. But this probably wouldn't affect any fantasy-relevant player.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 63)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:36 pm

Chapman shut down.
The Reds will shut down Aroldis Chapman for a few days due to left shoulder fatigue.
Chapman has been dealing with the fatigue for a few days but thinks he'll be fine within the next week. He allowed a three-run homer last Friday and then was removed from Monday's game after walking three batters and throwing just seven of 23 pitches for strikes. The Reds will use Jonathan Broxton and Sean Marshall in the ninth inning for now. "We’re lucky we got to this point," manager Dusty Baker said. "A guy throws 100 mph, he’s gonna fatigue something sooner or later. He’s reaching a plateau he hasn’t reached before. This is another step towards him learning how to be a closer and learn how to work away from the field to maintain his strength at the same time as keeping it on the field."

who is a better option, Broxton or Marshall?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby RyeWhiskey » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:06 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:Chapman shut down.
The Reds will shut down Aroldis Chapman for a few days due to left shoulder fatigue.
Chapman has been dealing with the fatigue for a few days but thinks he'll be fine within the next week. He allowed a three-run homer last Friday and then was removed from Monday's game after walking three batters and throwing just seven of 23 pitches for strikes. The Reds will use Jonathan Broxton and Sean Marshall in the ninth inning for now. "We’re lucky we got to this point," manager Dusty Baker said. "A guy throws 100 mph, he’s gonna fatigue something sooner or later. He’s reaching a plateau he hasn’t reached before. This is another step towards him learning how to be a closer and learn how to work away from the field to maintain his strength at the same time as keeping it on the field."

who is a better option, Broxton or Marshall?

I'd go with Broxton. He got the save last night and has been a closer much longer through his career than Marshall.
RyeWhiskey
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MashinSpuds » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Has anyone noticed that Hanrahan hasn't gotten a save in nearly a month (since 8/17)? I know it's all about opportunity but those Hanrahan-owners trying to stay afloat in the Saves column in the playoffs must be rather frustrated.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:52 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Has anyone noticed that Hanrahan hasn't gotten a save in nearly a month (since 8/17)? I know it's all about opportunity but those Hanrahan-owners trying to stay afloat in the Saves column in the playoffs must be rather frustrated.

I hadn't noticed. I guess it's b/c I dealt him and Romo to a guy desperate for saves in my NL-Only league a few weeks ago. Perhaps that didn't work out so well for him.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers