2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:55 pm

Aceves not happy.
Red Sox suspended RHP Alfredo Aceves three games for conduct detrimental to the team.
Aceves apparently got into a heated exchange with Boston manager Bobby Valentine after Friday night's game against the Royals, in which Andrew Bailey was given his first save opportunity of the season and converted. Aceves will begin serving the three-game punishment on Saturday night. He has a 4.60 ERA, a 1.24 WHIP and 25 saves in 32 chances this year.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:04 am

I don't know this, but I wonder if Jeremy Affeldt wont be getting any/many save opportunities anymore.
he pitched today in a game the Giants were losing.
he started the 9th on the 23rd giving up a hit and a walk only to be replaced by Lopez and then Romo.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:00 am

SpecialFNK wrote:I don't know this, but I wonder if Jeremy Affeldt wont be getting any/many save opportunities anymore.

Ditto for Casilla. Really, anyone could be getting a goose egg or multiple saves each given week.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby jackie hayes » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:05 pm

RyeWhiskey wrote:If you had to pick Balfour or Cishek for the rest of the season who would it be?

For me, that's as close to a push as it comes. I guess I'd go with Cishek, just because Bell blew up more spectacularly than Cook, but one could go the other way, looking at Bell's contract. Both very good options, imo.
jackie hayes
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 70)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Aug 26, 2012 2:24 pm

Balfour is very safe. Cishek still has Bell and his contract looming. I'd easily go with Balfour.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 134)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:25 pm

I would say Balfour is more safe. he was the closer to start the season. after a bad stretch was removed, but has looked great since getting back in that role. no reason for Oakland to switch. I wonder if in the Cishek/Bell situation the Marlins decide to go back to Bell just to see how he can finish the season. since they are BAD it's not going to really hurt them even if Bell does continue to suck and blow saves.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:48 pm

Affeldt, along with Javier Lopez and Sergio Romo, will be used as a closer by committee for the remainder of the season, Giants manager Bruce Bochy told the team's official site.

Recommendation: If one of the three relievers really separates himself as the clear choice, it is possible that the issue will be revisited, but for now the plan is to use all three.
(Rotowire.com)

I was kind of hoping as an Affeldt owner, that he would not be in the mix for saves anymore. sounds confusing eh. but in a 16 team league that has RP/RP/P/P/P I have Jansen/Janssen/Motte/Balfour/Thayer/ and Affeldt. be nice if Affeldt wasn't getting saves I could drop him for someone who could be more useful to me as I battle to hold onto 1st place. but I don't want to drop Affeldt only to have someone else pick him up and have it end up hurting me.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:50 pm

In July or early August, Bell's contract still had merit. However, I just don't see him taking over the role at this point. Recently it's been nearly every other outing that he's given up multiple hits, so unless the Marlins just don't care if they win games or not I can't imagine they'd give the 9th inning back to Bell over Cishek. The Marlins are stuck with him for two more years, but maybe they'll let him start over next year. Balfour over Bell imo.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:15 am

when Huston Street went on the DL it was Dale Thayer who began getting saves. recently he was on the paternity list and unavailable, and it was Luke Gregerson who then got a save. last night Thayer returned from the paternity list, but he pitched in the 8th and it was Gregerson who came in for the save in the 9th. looks like maybe Gregerson is now closing over Thayer.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SAKIC_19 » Wed Aug 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Jansen unavailable today because of heart problems.

Sounds like it could be a long term thing.

Are we looking at Belesario or even possibly Guerra in the interim?
SAKIC_19
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers