2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby Niffoc4 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Any thoughts on Milwaukee? Henderson pitched one good inning on Saturday... but then got hammered in the 10th. Will he get another shot? Loe's save last night was just temporary, right?
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby garf112 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Yes! Thayer gets the save. I'm glad I was patient and didn't knee jerk pick up gregerson right away. I like Thayer at least for a little while.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)

Postby TitsMcGahee » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:27 am

For now, would you rather have Jeremy Affelt or Dale Thayer? I am thinking of picking up Thayer.
TitsMcGahee
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 35)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:28 am

And that's why I kept saying cant 100% go with Gregerson, and ideally if you had roster space to add both. Considering Thayer had problems at the end of his time pre Street return he's not exactly guaranteed either especially if gregerson keeps pitching so well

Luckily I was able to swap out Gregerson for Thayer in 2 leagues quickly before the save once black came out to get said saves in short term the third will just eat for a wire flyer for gregerson in the meantime roster space too tight to wait and see if thayer implodes (and not saying he will just that he has I like him owned him earlier but traded him off for help elsehwere). Coudlnt hold Street either with Desmond in one Dl spot so traded Street as a keeper to a rebuilder for Allen Craig

*too much team talk*

Anyway

Mil is a mess, makes the SD talk look like Rivera in his prime is in there... a few fantasy columnists have been pushing for Loe to get an extended look. Too bad he still doesnt have that SP/RP. Could just be a lot of mixing from brewers down the stretch until we see someone really run away with it, probably just Axford ends up back again full time
"I'm the man with the ball. I'm the man who can throw it faster than F***. So that's why I'm better than anyone in the world." - Kenny Powers
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 124)

Postby juliown1028 » Wed Aug 15, 2012 6:21 pm

So...is this a sign just to stay away from Milwaukee completely?

Henderson blows one...so apparently no one can close it out for the Brew Crew...
"Chuck Norris has been known to throw a baseball 100 mph. I've been known to throw Chuck Norris 100 mph." - Brian Wilson
juliown1028
College Coach
College Coach

Postby NikkiSixx » Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:35 pm

TitsMcGahee wrote:For now, would you rather have Jeremy Affelt or Dale Thayer? I am thinking of picking up Thayer.

Thayer for sure.
NikkiSixx
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 430)

Postby Maris09 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:46 pm

Per Rotoworld:
Henderson will continue to get save chances Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said Thursday that Jim Henderson will still get save opportunities.
Henderson blew another save Wednesday night against the Rockies and has now allowed five earned runs on 12 hits in 8 1/3 innings since his call-up. But the Brewers don't have many better options at the moment with John Axford and Francisco Rodriguez also struggling mightily. It's a big mess right now for fantasy owners.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 30)

Postby mt99808 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 am

Anybody have thoughts on the Mets situation? I'm holding FF on my bench and I'm dying for roster spots. With a month and a half to go is he even worth waiting on to turn it around? We've seen this story before both last year and this. He goes through these phases but they can last from up to a couple weeks to half a season.
mt99808
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Padsin05 » Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:31 am

at this point in the season, you gotta assume at best a closer is worth 10 saves. More then likely 8 or so. So if you need roster spots, and you are comfortable in your position, feel free to dump a loser like Francisco

In my situation I am 3rd in saves, with 98, above me is 141 and 115, the 141 is definitely out of reach, the 115 has 5 closers, as do I. just to make up the 17 save gap, my closers would have to all get 3.5 more saves then any of his closers, thats pretty tough to do. At the same time they guy below me has 84, but only running out 4 closers. So by looking at this, I was able to just flat out dump Henderson and that whole Milwaukee situation, and grab a better (whip/era) guy, and know I can comfortable stay in 3rd in saves. So I went ahead and looked to add a David Hernandez, Jason Grilli, Luke Gregerson type guy, guys with great k/9 under 2.50 1.10 whips, who might vulture a W somewhere down the stretch
Padsin05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 35)

Postby cardsfan » Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:55 am

Padsin05 wrote:at this point in the season, you gotta assume at best a closer is worth 10 saves. More then likely 8 or so. So if you need roster spots, and you are comfortable in your position, feel free to dump a loser like Francisco

In my situation I am 3rd in saves, with 98, above me is 141 and 115, the 141 is definitely out of reach, the 115 has 5 closers, as do I. just to make up the 17 save gap, my closers would have to all get 3.5 more saves then any of his closers, thats pretty tough to do. At the same time they guy below me has 84, but only running out 4 closers. So by looking at this, I was able to just flat out dump Henderson and that whole Milwaukee situation, and grab a better (whip/era) guy, and know I can comfortable stay in 3rd in saves. So I went ahead and looked to add a David Hernandez, Jason Grilli, Luke Gregerson type guy, guys with great k/9 under 2.50 1.10 whips, who might vulture a W somewhere down the stretch
Great advice. I dumped Francisco as I have no faith in the guy. Grabbed Rauch and just hope he gets a chance.
cardsfan
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 18)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers