2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby West » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:18 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:can I talk about what happened with the Angels? :-o

The situation has not changed.

SpecialFNK wrote:Frieri started the 9th in a non save situation with the Angels leading 10-5. walk, 2 run HR, walk. not surprising to see him in the game, he hadn't pitched yet after the break. but then what happened? Scott Downs came in to relieve Ernesto Frieri? I thought Frieri was the guy. couldn't Frieri have been left out there? he only had 20 pitches. I think in this situation Scioscia wanted the left handed pitcher to face Ibanez and Chavez who were the next 2 batters due up.
now Scott Downs didn't exactly shut the door either, and ended up being replaced by Kevin Jepsen who got the save.
but what does one take away from this? Frieri charged with 3 ER. not surprising, he wasn't going to put up a goose egg all season, no big deal. but Downs came in after Frieri.
I'm sorry for again talking about the Angles, but something happened, and it's worth noting.
like the last game Downs gave up runs, I don't see this game changing anything. I'm not going to get into an argument over Frieri vs Downs. just this one specific game, the "set up guy" came in to replace the "closer". that is all.

It's a closer by committee. It's Scioscia. Why are you surprised?
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Maris09 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:35 pm

SpecialFNK wrote:can I talk about what happened with the Angels? :-o

Non-Save situation, Frieri didn't have it for whatever reason (long layoff ?), Downs came in and didn't have it either, nothing really new to report.
That does make it two in a row Downs has been pulled mid-inning.

Nothings changed. Let it go for a while.
Maris09
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 8)

Postby Doc19 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:04 pm

Everyone still think either Gregerson or Thayer is Hudson Street is traded?
Doc19
College Coach
College Coach

Postby West » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:08 pm

Doc19 wrote:Everyone still think either Gregerson or Thayer is Hudson Street is traded?

Yes, and I guess it's a tossup with my own opinion being a slight edge to Thayer.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 92)

Postby daullaz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:22 am

West wrote:
Doc19 wrote:Everyone still think either Gregerson or Thayer is Hudson Street is traded?

Yes, and I guess it's a tossup with my own opinion being a slight edge to Thayer.

I'd give it to Gregerson. Thayer was very good for the two weeks he closed, but he's been pretty average since then. Gregerson has been better, and while Thayer did a good job for a few weeks, I would expect that, when looking for a closer for the next year-plus, the Padres would take the more established, higher-skilled option.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby Skin Blues » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 am

I agree, Gregerson is the best bet. And since Street will almost certainly be traded, he's one of the better spec adds this month.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 139)

Postby Whalewang » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:09 am

After July 31 who will be closing in Houston: Lyon, Wilton Lopez, or someone else?
Whalewang
College Coach
College Coach

Postby MashinSpuds » Mon Jul 16, 2012 1:59 pm

West wrote:

I would agree with this, if only because Thayer has calmed down since his hiccups during the end of May. Since June 9th, both have a similar amount of earned runs (Gregerson: 3, Thayer: 4) and hits allowed (Gregerson: 11, Thayer: 12) in a similar amount of innings pitched. However, Gregerson hasn't walked a batter in that span and definitely gets more strikeouts. But since they're still relatively close in production, I would think it more likely that they first go with the arm who handled the role quite well earlier in the season. Having Gregerson set someone up like Thayer, instead of Thayer setting up Gregerson, might get better results initially.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Postby Havok1517 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:23 pm

Whalewang wrote:After July 31 who will be closing in Houston: Lyon, Wilton Lopez, or someone else?

Lopez would be the smart pick but Lyon has actually pitched quite well so far and has a heavy contract weighing him down. Compound the fact that Lopez just returned from the DL, I say Lyon closes. It would be great if both Lyon and Myers, and their contracts, were dealt so Lopez could be the guy. I'm also hoping to see Henry Sosa (AAA) used as a reliever in the future as his time as a starter seems to be running out.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 116)

Postby Bwanna » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm

I have absolutely nothing of value to add to this thread at the moment, but I enjoy keeping it under 'view your [my] posts'.

I will say thank you to everyone who contributes, especially those who don't beat a dead horse, the mods for mod'ing, and especially Havok for keeping the first post updated. ;D
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st]
123Innings '08 [1st/1st], '09 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/4th], '12 [4th/2nd]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Cool 3.0 '08 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 260)

PreviousNext