2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 2012 CLOSERS THREAD (2nd HALF)

Postby Nerveclinic » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:55 am

Yes in the SF 9th, There was an error on the throw to first base, but there was also a wild pitch. Casilla was also charged with yet another earned run in the inning. His ERA the last 30 days is 7.77 his WHIP is 2.00.
Nerveclinic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shermanator » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:04 am

Ho Hum, another day, another Valverde blown save. 2 hits a BB and an earned run. They even ran him out to start the next inning and of course, walks the first batter before getting the axe.
I dont know why I hold onto this turd. Im just a sucker I guess
Shermanator
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 3)

Postby West » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:43 am

Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have scouted Rockies closer Rafael Betancourt "a few times."
The out-of-contention Rockies would surely listen to trade offers for their closer, but with an affordable contract through 2014, it would probably take a decent package to land him. Betancourt boasts a 2.84 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 34/9 K/BB ratio over 31 2/3 innings this season.

I guess Belisle is a good add about now.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:32 am

if you were holding onto Santos, he can be dropped now.

Sergio Santos will undergo season-ending surgery to repair the labrum in his right shoulder.

Twitter
Rotoworld
the awesome sig by soty

"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:22 pm

West wrote:
Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe reports that the Red Sox have scouted Rockies closer Rafael Betancourt "a few times."
The out-of-contention Rockies would surely listen to trade offers for their closer, but with an affordable contract through 2014, it would probably take a decent package to land him. Betancourt boasts a 2.84 ERA, 1.11 WHIP and 34/9 K/BB ratio over 31 2/3 innings this season.

I guess Belisle is a good add about now.

what about Rex Brothers? he hasn't been as good in July. 3 different games giving up 1 ER. July- 5.79 ERA, 2.36 WHIP in only 4.2 IP. but he was awesome in June. 0.66 ERA, 0.66 WHIP in 13.2 IP. in June he had 3 BB and 21 K.
his overall numbers are also flawed because he wasn't as good early in the season and then went down to the minors.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Skin Blues » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:44 pm

Just my opinion, but this is from the other thread:

Skin Blues wrote:It's very unlikely Brothers sees any save chances this season. I can't see him getting the job over Belisle. Belisle has simply been the better of the two. Brothers also has his numbers artificially better by facing so many lefties, which will be vice versa if he was asked to close games. The Ks are nice, sure, but he walks 4.5 batters per 9 and allows way too many baserunners. Betancourt also extended his contract for next season (and an option for 2014), so chances aren't that great that he'll be traded anyway.

Odds aren't that good that Betancourt is traded. Even if he is, Belisle has been better, and as the right-handed setup man, will be even more likely to get the job. Brothers is their only decent lefty and has a wide platoon split. He's also not on a guaranteed contract like Belisle, so if they pump his value up they'll have to pay more for him through arbitration. Overall is just makes very little sense that Brothers would get save opportunities.
Skin Blues
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 113)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:03 pm

walks can be an issue with Brothers. in April/May he had 12 BB in 15.1 IP. he was then sent to the minors. he was recalled on June 2nd. since then he has 4 BB in 18.1 IP. however even in the minors he has had a high K rate. but that doesn't mean he can't be successful. there's a current closer out in LA who has a 4.97 BB/9.
Belisle doesn't walk much at all. he has 1.50 BB/9 this season. but he also has 50 hits in 48 IP. last year he had 77 hits in 72 IP.
but still Belisle might be the better choice?
interesting numbers for Brothers this season.
vs LH- .236/.333/.227/.513
vs RH- .342/.393/.465/.816
but good last season.
vs LH- .193/.313/.239/.512
vs RH- .232/.305/.333/.612
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby West » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Skin Blues wrote:It's very unlikely Brothers sees any save chances this season. I can't see him getting the job over Belisle. Belisle has simply been the better of the two. Brothers also has his numbers artificially better by facing so many lefties, which will be vice versa if he was asked to close games. The Ks are nice, sure, but he walks 4.5 batters per 9 and allows way too many baserunners. Betancourt also extended his contract for next season (and an option for 2014), so chances aren't that great that he'll be traded anyway.

Odds aren't that good that Betancourt is traded. Even if he is, Belisle has been better, and as the right-handed setup man, will be even more likely to get the job. Brothers is their only decent lefty and has a wide platoon split. He's also not on a guaranteed contract like Belisle, so if they pump his value up they'll have to pay more for him through arbitration. Overall is just makes very little sense that Brothers would get save opportunities.[/quote]

I've seen a few sources saying that the Rockies are shopping Betancourt. There's a decent chance he gets traded if a team like the Red Sox or Mets put together the right mix of prospects. I agree though that Belisle is next in line over Brothers.
West
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 85)

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:08 pm

mlbtraderumors says this on Betancourt.
The Red Sox are said to have interest in Rockies reliever Rafael Betancourt but GM Ben Cherington won't rule out dealing from the club's bullpen surplus, writes Tim Britton of The Providence Journal. “Perhaps, selectively, if the right opportunity presents. But we’ve got to be careful. Moving anything from an area that might look like there’s some surplus, pretty soon you could scramble and turn around and you’re trying to trade for the same guy you gave up."

The Red Sox have shown interest in Rockies right-hander Rafael Betancourt and have scouted him a few times. Boston likely wouldn't want to give up prospects for him but could offer an outfielder. Recently, Buster Olney of ESPN.com reported that Colorado would have to be overwhelmed to part with the reliever.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:47 pm

can I talk about what happened with the Angels? :-o

Frieri started the 9th in a non save situation with the Angels leading 10-5. walk, 2 run HR, walk. not surprising to see him in the game, he hadn't pitched yet after the break. but then what happened? Scott Downs came in to relieve Ernesto Frieri? I thought Frieri was the guy. couldn't Frieri have been left out there? he only had 20 pitches. I think in this situation Scioscia wanted the left handed pitcher to face Ibanez and Chavez who were the next 2 batters due up.
now Scott Downs didn't exactly shut the door either, and ended up being replaced by Kevin Jepsen who got the save.
but what does one take away from this? Frieri charged with 3 ER. not surprising, he wasn't going to put up a goose egg all season, no big deal. but Downs came in after Frieri.
I'm sorry for again talking about the Angles, but something happened, and it's worth noting.
like the last game Downs gave up runs, I don't see this game changing anything. I'm not going to get into an argument over Frieri vs Downs. just this one specific game, the "set up guy" came in to replace the "closer". that is all.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers