My Jordan Zimmermann and Dempster for Verlander? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

My Jordan Zimmermann and Dempster for Verlander? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

My Jordan Zimmermann and Dempster for Verlander? WHIR

Postby MurrayKy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:05 pm

First off, here's my league settings and roster.

I'm in a 20-team H2H Cats dynasty where you keep 25 of 29, and start one of each position plus a util, 5 starting pitchers and 5 relievers.

Offense CATS: H, R, 2B, 3B, HR, RBI, K, BB, SB, CS, AVG
Pitching CATS: ERA, K, BB, K/BB, WHIP, HRA, SV, HD, W, L

C. Ryan Doumit
1b. Adrian Gonzalez
2b. Howie Kendrick
3b. Kyle Seager
Ss. Asdrubal Cabrera
Lf. Desmond Jennings
Cf. Adam Jones
Rf. Hunter Pence
Util. Norichiki Aoki
Be. Jean Segura
Be. Cameron Maybin
Be. Alex Presley
Be. Jurickson Profar
Be. Hak-Ju Lee
Be. Miguel Sano
Be. Nick Castellanos
Be. Wilin Rosario
Dl. Victor Martinez
Dl. Evan Longoria

Sp. Yovani Gallardo
Sp. Jordan Zimmermann
Sp. Michael Fiers
Sp. Jameson Taillon
Sp. Ryan Dempster
Rp. Jordan Walden
Rp. Frank Francisco
Rp. Mike Adams
Rp. Darren Oliver
Rp. Joel Peralta
Be. Brian Matusz
Be. Taijuan Walker
Dl. Brandon McCarthy
Dl. John Danks

As you can see, I have a pretty good team in my opinion, with some great depth in my hitting and pitching.

So I think I can afford to make a move like this. Correct me if I'm wrong, however!

I offered this move to a guy: I give up Jordan Zimmermann and Ryan Dempster for Justin Verlander.

I still think it'd be a great trade for me, but now that the guy is thinking about it and I sent him an e-mail detailing how it could benefit him, I started doubting myself a little, so I'm just making sure. This is a good trade for me, correct?
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: My Jordan Zimmermann and Dempster for Verlander? WHIR

Postby Element » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:27 pm

I'd do that trade every time. If you have the depth you're doing the right thing.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 685)

Postby MurrayKy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:46 pm

Element wrote:I'd do that trade every time. If you have the depth you're doing the right thing.

Thanks! I think I do. A rotation of Verlander, Gallardo, and McCarthy (when healthy) sounds really good to me, with Fiers and Danks filling it out. Plus I have Taillon and Walker, two stud prospects, so I think I'd be looking good for the future.
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby p1nstriper » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:23 pm

Never understood posts like this, or why they are even allowed. Its great when people ask for advice on who they should offer up to have a legit shot at landing a star player, and even better when people are looking for some helpful analysis of a trade offer that is 'on the table'.

This is neither - he already made a lowball offer that has a 0% chance of being accepted, and made a long-winded post containing his roster, league settings, etc., but failed to ask a real question. Yes, trading Zimmermann and Dempster for the best pitcher in baseball would help your team. I feel like my time was wasted reading all that and then realizing you weren't asking a question or seeking advice, just looking for some sort of validation of a crappy trade offer that won't be accepted.

I guess I just hate the 'look at this trade offer i just made' posts because most of the time the people reading or responding to these posts are just having their time wasted. Go ahead and flame on, but I know I'm not the only one that thinks these types of posts suck
p1nstriper
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby MurrayKy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:51 pm

p1nstriper wrote:Never understood posts like this, or why they are even allowed. Its great when people ask for advice on who they should offer up to have a legit shot at landing a star player, and even better when people are looking for some helpful analysis of a trade offer that is 'on the table'.

This is neither - he already made a lowball offer that has a 0% chance of being accepted, and made a long-winded post containing his roster, league settings, etc., but failed to ask a real question. Yes, trading Zimmermann and Dempster for the best pitcher in baseball would help your team. I feel like my time was wasted reading all that and then realizing you weren't asking a question or seeking advice, just looking for some sort of validation of a crappy trade offer that won't be accepted.

I guess I just hate the 'look at this trade offer i just made' posts because most of the time the people reading or responding to these posts are just having their time wasted. Go ahead and flame on, but I know I'm not the only one that thinks these types of posts suck

Fair analysis. But the title of this forum includes the words "trade" and "questions" and I'm pretty sure this would fall under that category. Go ahead and think it's a dumb idea to get validation of an offered trade, but imagine if everyone ignored these questions. I might be mistaken and make a bad offer that would NOT be in my favor, and a good response telling me to cancel the offer would save me from doing so. Therefore, I think it's a valid question.

And while I do agree it's a low offer, the guy said he was thinking about it, so he's obviously considering it.

Who are you to say that I shouldn't be allowed to make sure that an offer I proposed would work in my favor if accepted?
MurrayKy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby p1nstriper » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:03 pm

p1nstriper
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions