Drama because of Trade - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Drama because of Trade

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Drama because of Trade

Postby thesticks23 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:06 am

I am in an Auction Keeper league that has 6 x 6 scoring (BB's and Qs's)

I am in dead last with no chance to make playoffs this year, and i also came in last place last year but failed to make any moves to improve my keepers moving into this year.

I now want to trade my over price players that i will not keep for players that look to have good keeper value and potential.

I offered the 1st place team Prince fielder ($40) for M. Trout ($1) and he rejected me (he starts freddie freeman at 1st)
I offered the 6th place team Ian Kinsler ($35) for Billy Hamilton ($1) and has not played, and he rejected me he has A. Craig at 2nd 7 I. Suziki at UTIL
I offered the 7th place team Ryan Vogelsong ($5) & Ian Kinsler ($35) for Chris Sale ($1) and he rejected me he starts a. hill at 2b

I then offered the 5th place team Prince Fielder ($40) for Ian Desmond ($1) and he accepted, now the whole league is rejecting this deal saying its to unbalanced.
I dont get it, Desmond is in his third year, looks like he is finally coming into his prime has 17 hr's at the break. I want to start off next year with good keeper value and now the league blocks my trade.

1) How am i suppose to get keepers at this rate?
2) Is there something wrong with trading over priced stars for dirt cheap players i would keep? (isnt this like real baseball, teams sell their starts when the contract is too much for them)
3) Is it fair for this league to veto the trade?

Please help, as i have not done well in the past and i thought i had a good plan going forward but it seems the league wants to play my team for me and im not having as much fun as i would have hoped. I don't mind that i am losing or in last, but i do mind that i want to set myself up for next year and they are blocking that from happening by either rejecting all offers or vetoing the one i do get through.

thanks for your help
thesticks23
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drama because of Trade

Postby bamm78 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:23 am

I'm of the opinion that leagues should not have a mechanism for overturning trades like this.

This is a keeper league, you and the other owner are both acting in the best interests of your team. There is nothing wrong here.

If they don't want trades like this then they shouldn't have a keeper league. Or trades at all.
bamm78
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Postby rainbowjeremy » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:20 am

Everything you are doing is right!

I think the problem is that from the other team's perspective, when the last place team makes a move, there is always suspicion. They assume that there is collusion involved!!! What they fail to understand is that in a dynasty setting, you aren't going to tank, simply because you have to play next year with the same team! And, i think your strategy is a good one, though he has never hit for this kind of power in his career (desmond).

Either they are suspicious, or they are pissed that a contender just got an elite bat, but the setting for dynasty leagues are different, and they need to chill out YOU DID NOTHING WRONG.

hope this helps,

Adam
C: Perez, Napoli,
1: Goldschmidt, Votto,
2: Cuddyer, Uggla
3: Moose, Encarnacion
SS: A. Cabrera
O: Ellsbury, Trout, Melky, werth
SP: Weaver, Cain, Sale, Vogelsong, Moore, Giallardo, Harvey, medlen
RP: Cook, Jannsen, Holland, Hanrahan
League: 5X5 H2H (QS)
rainbowjeremy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mkultra » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:28 am

I agree that veto-by-mob is silly, particularly in a keeper league with salaries, where everyone's perception of "value" is relative. People need to be able to make the trades they want.

BUT, I do think you gave up way too much for Desmond. He's the kind of player who, to me, you'd keep because he cost $1, not because he's great. I think he's playing over his head (.313 BABIP) and still lacks plate discipline, so I think he's going to regress in the 2nd half.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby WhipperSnappers44 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:30 am

Txs for the reply to mine (I added some more info if you have time)

I look at this as the league is "Vetoing" this offer since Desmond is showing skills this season and has been very talented and is the #1 ranked SS (at least in the leagues I am in and I own him in one of my leagues and he has been great) but most people look at overall career STATS and talent, etc....and I.Desmond has not been that great over his career compared to this year....Fielder has!!

They also look at hey....what is this guy doing giving a top notch guy like Prince for Desmond? He must be helping this guy win this year or something (not sure how the other guy is looking for this year)....but the main concern and I could see it happening in every league around that this would raise questions because of the name and past history...

Now like I said...I think Desmond is talented but would have doubts going into further seasons compared to Fielder. Most people think Desmond is just on a hot streak or a hot 1st half.....it's like taking a guy like Plouffe (since he has been hot) and trading him for a guy like Miggy Cabrera! (That would get Veto'd in a heartbeat in any league that matters so.....although I say do what you will with your team and all and since you proposed it then it's on you and more people should look at it in the "keeper" perspective but they don't and personally I blame them but I don't blame them....it's just how you look at it.

So I say if you want to try and make a trade then you will have to trade the same caliber type player for the same type caliber player (not over the 1st half of this year but overall in their respective careers....and names do play a part as well)...

Good luck m8!

WhipperSnappers44!!! ;-D ;-D ;-D
WhipperSnappers44
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby thesticks23 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:16 am

So maybe some info that might help is every year you keep a player you have to pay a little more each year.
I kept Fielder last year and that caused him to be $40 this year, to keep him again he would be $43, and i dont need that going in next years draft.
We only get to keep 5 guys a year and we only get $270 dollars to fill 22 roster spots.

ian desmond was drafted this year at $1 and if i want to keep him i only have to pay $5 for him next year, and then $8 the year after, then $12 if i keep him again. So i see the potential for long term value at a scarce position.

now with that said yes i believe Fielder is the stronger bat, thats not my argument. But i think that i get more value at SS for $5 then i do at 1B for $43 going into next season, and then knowing i have a $5 player allows me to overspend if you will and i can get Joey votto for 45 or miguel cabrera for $45 next year and still have a couple $5 dollar players that perform above their $5 price tag.

In our league there are 12 teams, when you trade you are not allowed to participate in the veto (you can defend your trade on the message board of course), so that leaves 10 teams the ability to Veto and we are set up for 40% means trade gets denied. They want the team in 5th place to give up more to get fielder, and sure i would like more, but i also don't want to sit on fielder and get nothing for him. I dont want to end up like the Mets did with Jose Reyes, you know what i mean.. just ride him out knowing i'm going nowhere when i could get potentially a guy coming into his prime..
Is this not low risk high reward for me? i mean if Desmond does not work out... i paid $5 for him.. ok thats not a big deal.. now if Desmond does work out... i still paid $5 for him, now that is a big deal..

I am 26 games out of making playoffs with like 7 weeks left.. i have no shot this year, its time for me to think of next year, and i dont care who wins this year, i tried trading with several teams and kept getting denied.

i think what also pisses the league off is team #5 has Elvis andrus that he traded for earlier in the season, so he will not take a big hit at SS, but i dont think they should be allowed to veto because of a guy he currently owns on his bench.

sorry for the long post.
thesticks23
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Quackman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:45 am

Fielder is a good keeper and you goal is to lock up 5 good keepers. I'd bet he has a huge 2nd half. Your reasoning is fine if you were trying to lock up a top rookie or prospect, personally I don't see that in Desmond. Chances are you are giving away fielder and will decide Desmond isn't keeper worthy by the end of the season.

Why did you give up on trout so easily. Trout is way more valuable than fielder so that was an auto reject by the other team. Maybe your best two players would have got it done.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)

Postby Daredevils » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:19 pm

He also forgot to mention that the team that would get Fielder also already has Joey Votto & Adrian Gonzalez. He could have easily gotten Both Desmond and Gonzalez which next year would be only about half the price as Fielder
Daredevils
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Daredevils » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Quackman wrote:personally I don't see that in Desmond. Chances are you are giving away fielder and will decide Desmond isn't keeper worthy by the end of the season. Why did you give up on trout so easily. Trout is way more valuable than fielder so that was an auto reject by the other team. Maybe your best two players would have got it done.

Exactly how i feel. Couldn't said it better myself
Daredevils
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby thesticks23 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:27 pm

i sort of feel stalked now
thesticks23
College Coach
College Coach