7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of the extended All-Star Break?

Great!
4
11%
Don't Care...
13
35%
Terrible!
20
54%
 
Total votes : 37

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:54 pm

Curtis Granderson tried to impersonate Willie Mays by catching Trout's deep fly. It's gonna make the highlights.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:05 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:I guess after they got together, decided that 3rd base ump made a bad call, it was no catch, but the bad call made Prado to go back to 1st, so he deserves 2nd base.
But thats what all we want. Get the calls right, and if you screw up, than correct it. Thats why everyone cries video replay on everything.
Now they got it right at the end for a change.
Thats why Prado got 2nd base I guess.

Yea no kidding, but that doesn't automatically award Prado a free base while he's wandering between first and second base. Dude was tagger. Catch or trap if you're tagged between the bases you're out. It was an awful call. Not the change to a trap, which was correct, but the terrible error on handling the base runner.

Prado did not get awarded any base IMO.
As I said, Prado went back to 1st because of the bad call. if the trap would been called correctly in the first place he was already at 2nd so he was safe there. So probably after the bad call they decided no further action should count.
I don't know any rules that allows umps to do this, but surely it's the right thing to do.
He wasn't awarded a base, he was awarded being safe when by all rules of the game he should have been ruled out. If the initial call was an out, then he needs to be standing on first base, not meandering in between the bases, arguing the call. I could see the argument if he was standing on first and the ruling was overturned to be a trap, and they sent him to second; but he wasn't. He was standing between first and second base, and was tagged. The right call was to call him out. It was botched horribly.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24662
(Past Year: 836)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:08 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Yea no kidding, but that doesn't automatically award Prado a free base while he's wandering between first and second base. Dude was tagger. Catch or trap if you're tagged between the bases you're out. It was an awful call. Not the change to a trap, which was correct, but the terrible error on handling the base runner.

Prado did not get awarded any base IMO.
As I said, Prado went back to 1st because of the bad call. if the trap would been called correctly in the first place he was already at 2nd so he was safe there. So probably after the bad call they decided no further action should count.
I don't know any rules that allows umps to do this, but surely it's the right thing to do.
He wasn't awarded a base, he was awarded being safe when by all rules of the game he should have been ruled out. If the initial call was an out, then he needs to be standing on first base, not meandering in between the bases, arguing the call. I could see the argument if he was standing on first and the ruling was overturned to be a trap, and they sent him to second; but he wasn't. He was standing between first and second base, and was tagged. The right call was to call him out. It was botched horribly.


He was between 2nd and 3rd when the call was made. Than retouched 2nd and went towards 1st arguing the whole way.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby bigh0rt » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:09 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:Prado did not get awarded any base IMO.
As I said, Prado went back to 1st because of the bad call. if the trap would been called correctly in the first place he was already at 2nd so he was safe there. So probably after the bad call they decided no further action should count.
I don't know any rules that allows umps to do this, but surely it's the right thing to do.
He wasn't awarded a base, he was awarded being safe when by all rules of the game he should have been ruled out. If the initial call was an out, then he needs to be standing on first base, not meandering in between the bases, arguing the call. I could see the argument if he was standing on first and the ruling was overturned to be a trap, and they sent him to second; but he wasn't. He was standing between first and second base, and was tagged. The right call was to call him out. It was botched horribly.


He was between 2nd and 3rd when the call was made. Than retouched 2nd and went towards 1st arguing the whole way.
So I'm glad you agree he should have been called out on the play.
Image
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 24662
(Past Year: 836)
Joined: 3 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Crowding The Plate

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:19 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:He wasn't awarded a base, he was awarded being safe when by all rules of the game he should have been ruled out. If the initial call was an out, then he needs to be standing on first base, not meandering in between the bases, arguing the call. I could see the argument if he was standing on first and the ruling was overturned to be a trap, and they sent him to second; but he wasn't. He was standing between first and second base, and was tagged. The right call was to call him out. It was botched horribly.


He was between 2nd and 3rd when the call was made. Than retouched 2nd and went towards 1st arguing the whole way.
So I'm glad you agree he should have been called out on the play.

8-o
I did not.
I don't know all the rules, so by rules he might be called out on the tag, or might be safe on an appeal play.
Anyway it's an interesting situation.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:24 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
mweir145 wrote:I was watching, too. It's just the usual umpire incompetence that I see every day in this league.

I don't see your point. Baseball is a game of failure. Everybody fails all the time.

There's this thing called video review these days. I hear it's all the rage in the other sports.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Yea no kidding, but that doesn't automatically award Prado a free base while he's wandering between first and second base. Dude was tagger. Catch or trap if you're tagged between the bases you're out. It was an awful call. Not the change to a trap, which was correct, but the terrible error on handling the base runner.

Prado did not get awarded any base IMO.
As I said, Prado went back to 1st because of the bad call. if the trap would been called correctly in the first place he was already at 2nd so he was safe there. So probably after the bad call they decided no further action should count.
I don't know any rules that allows umps to do this, but surely it's the right thing to do.
He wasn't awarded a base, he was awarded being safe when by all rules of the game he should have been ruled out. If the initial call was an out, then he needs to be standing on first base, not meandering in between the bases, arguing the call. I could see the argument if he was standing on first and the ruling was overturned to be a trap, and they sent him to second; but he wasn't. He was standing between first and second base, and was tagged. The right call was to call him out. It was botched horribly.

This. The right call wasn't made.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:32 pm

mweir145 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
Syfo-Dyas wrote:Prado did not get awarded any base IMO.
As I said, Prado went back to 1st because of the bad call. if the trap would been called correctly in the first place he was already at 2nd so he was safe there. So probably after the bad call they decided no further action should count.
I don't know any rules that allows umps to do this, but surely it's the right thing to do.
He wasn't awarded a base, he was awarded being safe when by all rules of the game he should have been ruled out. If the initial call was an out, then he needs to be standing on first base, not meandering in between the bases, arguing the call. I could see the argument if he was standing on first and the ruling was overturned to be a trap, and they sent him to second; but he wasn't. He was standing between first and second base, and was tagged. The right call was to call him out. It was botched horribly.

This. The right call wasn't made.

So the right call is to get it wrong?
Brilliant.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby Syfo-Dyas » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:34 pm

mweir145 wrote:There's this thing called video review these days. I hear it's all the rage in the other sports.

Really?
Wow.
Image
the awesome sig by soty


"You should be mindful of the future, but not at the expense of the
moment." - Qui-Gon Jinn (keeper league expert?)
Syfo-Dyas
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1849
Joined: 23 Jul 2007
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby mweir145 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:27 pm

Syfo-Dyas wrote:
mweir145 wrote:There's this thing called video review these days. I hear it's all the rage in the other sports.

Really?
Wow.

And then there's a sport like this that's living a century in the past, which treats umpire error as if it's a part of the game rather than the unfortunate, needless mistakes that they actually are.
25
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Eagle Eye
Posts: 16784
(Past Year: 85)
Joined: 3 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Toronto

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AntonioPype, ericada3, lesleyls16, louelladg18, nicholedk11 and 10 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Wednesday, Apr. 23
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Arizona at Chi Cubs
(12:10 pm)
San Francisco at Colorado
(2:20 pm)
Texas at Oakland
(3:10 pm)
Houston at Seattle
(3:35 pm)
Kansas City at Cleveland
(3:40 pm)
LA Angels at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Toronto at Toronto
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
Baltimore at Baltimore
(7:07 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
NY Yankees at Boston
(7:10 pm)
St. Louis at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Minnesota at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
San Diego at Milwaukee
(8:10 pm)
Philadelphia at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact