7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What do you think of the extended All-Star Break?

Great!
11%
Don't Care...
35%
Terrible!
54%

Total votes : 37

7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:16 am

After what felt like the longest two days of my life without baseball, action finally returns as we kick off the 2nd half. As you may have noticed, instead of giving today it's own thread, I took the liberty of just creating a long, 3-day weekend thread. Maybe if it works out, we'll keep it rolling in the future.

Top story has to be the new release of the Cafe's Top 50 'Big Board'. New members include the likes of Brett Lawrie (#49), Alex Rios (#48), Robert Alan Dickey (#46), Madison Bumgarner (#44), Mark Trumbo (#32), Jered Weaver (#27), and the finally off the DL Matt Kemp (#14). For the full Top 50, with commentary, and to show your support of the Cafe and its diligent writers and contributors, bring yo ass and read Top 50 Countdown: July 12, 2012.

It's Friday the 13th, which means (I don't think it really means this, but if my guys tank at least I'll have an excuse) watch out who you start today! Your Ace is facing the Padres today? Chomping at the bit? WATCH OUT! He'll knife you in the back. Biggest worry for today? James McDonald, because if horror movies have taught us anything, it's that the black guy doesn't make it past the first hour mark. If he's yanked in the 3rd inning tonight, batten down the hatchets, and just try and ride it out until morning. If you were offended by any of that, that's on you.

The National League won the All-Star Game 8 - 0, in a contest that was decided by the 4th inning, followed by 1-2-3 inning after 1-2-3 inning. To the 5 individuals aside from myself who voted for the NL in The All-Star Break CV Thread, kudos. To you 22 fools who nonsensically jock ride the AL and voted for them; you'll never learn. You got Dickey'd... Or Melky'd, I guess. That's 3 in a row, amigos. Makes it easy for me to get over Dickey not starting the All-Star Game, knowing now that he'll start Game 1 of the World Series at Citi Field. B-) What do I mean by that? That's a clown question, bro.

For the first time since the All-Star Break's inception, teams did not just take off the day before and after the game, but they had yesterday, two days after the game, off. Today's Poll asks you what you think about this. From an economic perspective it seems silly for the MLB to not capitalize on every possible day they have of monopolizing the sports schedule. For something like 80 years there's been a one day break after the All-Star game, and there hasn't been an issue, so I'm not sure what the motivation was behind the extra day in 2012. Is it a major deal? Hardly. It just doesn't seem necessary. Weigh in with your thoughts.

There's been some disagreement here at the Cafe, with what some are calling the overreaction of the century by Bud Selig, suggesting that in the future there may be some sort of guaranteed spot for a hometown player in the Home Run Derby, after the Kansas City fans hilarious booed Robinson Cano as he foul tipped his Derby pitches like they were 92 mph sliders. I'm not 100% sure where I ultimately sit on this issue, because while I feel it was the smallest of small deals that Cano got booed; he makes what, $14 million a year? I'd happily get booed all day every day at work like that for that kinda coin. On the other hand, I'm not necessarily not in favor of catering to the hometown fans. I think ultimately the Derby's ratings wouldn't suffer one bit by having one of the eight participants be a home town guy, and the fans would love it; especially if the player were able to advance and content, hell maybe even win. So I'm not really sure how I feel about it. Pretty apathetic overall. Weigh in with your thoughts.

Just in case you were wondering about the difference between Bryce Harper and Mike Trout...
That's a clown question, bro.

I hate you all.
Love,
bigh0rt

Today's Matchups:

LAA: Wilson (9-5, 2.43 ERA)
NYY: Kuroda (8-7, 3.50 ERA)

NYM: Young (2-2, 3.41 ERA)
ATL: Hudson (7-4, 3.56 ERA)

DET: Fister (2-6, 4.75 ERA)
BAL: Hammel (8-5, 3.47 ERA)

ARI: Kennedy (6-7, 4.26 ERA)
CHC: Maholm (6-6, 4.57 ERA)

CLE: Masterson (5-8, 4.40 ERA)
TOR: Romero (8-4, 5.22 ERA)

STL: Wainwright (7-8, 4.56 ERA)
CIN: Latos (7-2, 4.13 ERA)

BOS: Morales (1-2, 3.50 ERA)
TB: Hellickson (4-5, 3.41 ERA)

WSH: Zimmermann (5-6, 2.61 ERA)
MIA: Johnson (5-5, 4.06 ERA)

CHW: Quintana (4-1, 2.04 ERA)
KC: Chen (7-8, 5.22 ERA)

PIT: McDonald (9-3, 2.37 ERA)
MIL: Greinke (9-3, 3.32 ERA)

OAK: Griffin (0-0, 1.50 ERA)
MIN: Liriano (3-7, 5.08 ERA)

PHI: Lee (1-5, 3.98 ERA)
COL: Friedrich (4-6, 5.98 ERA)

TEX: Holland (5-4, 5.05 ERA)
SEA: Millwood (3-6, 3.69 ERA)

SD: Richard (6-9, 3.91 ERA)
LAD: Kershaw (6-5, 2.91 ERA)

HOU: Lyles (2-5, 5.08 ERA)
SF: Bumgarner (10-5, 3.27 ERA)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 7/13 - 7/15 Cheering, Venting, & The Cafe's Top 50

Postby GiantsFan14 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:51 am

wooooo baseball again! feels like opening day part deux.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 427)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:46 am

Aww yea, Top 50 getting top billing in the CV thread! The Countdown members hate(love) you too Hort. :-)
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Don't know if I should be excited or scared to throw 5 starts today, when my limit for Week 14 is 13... oh well, they're all favorites, and the matchups are all decent enough... anyway... Trotting Zack Greinke vsPIT, Mat Latos vsSTL, Tim Hudson vsNYM, Derek Holland @SEA, and newly acquired Ian Kennedy @CHC. I hope this puts me out to a huge lead, and doesn't leave me pulling what little hair I have out...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby saemick » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Hated the 2 days off. Kept looking at my team page like there would miraculously be a game(s) yesterday.

anyway, back at it and was looking for some opinions from the cafe if either: A.J. Griffin @ MIN or Francisco Liriano vs. OAK (yes, I know & hate Liriano, but it IS Friday the 13th... so who knows with him) are good to stream today.

I get 3 "add's" per week, so I need to use them sparingly
saemick
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:01 pm

saemick wrote:Hated the 2 days off. Kept looking at my team page like there would miraculously be a game(s) yesterday.

anyway, back at it and was looking for some opinions from the cafe if either: A.J. Griffin @ MIN or Francisco Liriano vs. OAK (yes, I know & hate Liriano, but it IS Friday the 13th... so who knows with him) are good to stream today.

I get 3 "add's" per week, so I need to use them sparingly
This game could easily end 1 - 0, but it's a powder keg ready for explosion. Griffin has pitched very well vs some good offenses, but young guys on the Road can struggle (despite his 6 shutout innings @TEX). Liriano has quietly been very good, but has danced around his BB, which are still a major problem. I think I'd just avoid this matchup, and if it turns out to be a pitching duel, you write it off. You can always pick someone else up tomorrow to start, but you can't undo damage once it's been done.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby jorgesca » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Has the extra day off something to do with the extra wild card spot?
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:23 pm

Of course the first scheduled game out of the break is on rain delay... :-C
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Element » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:25 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Of course the first scheduled game out of the break is on rain delay... :-C

Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:56 pm

Element wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:Of course the first scheduled game out of the break is on rain delay... :-C

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers