Waiver Wire Second Half Value Finds - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Waiver Wire Second Half Value Finds

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Waiver Wire Second Half Value Finds

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:17 am

Are there any guys that are owned in less than 10% of leagues, who may take over a spot that opens up because of trade, move from the bullpen to the rotation, get called up and smash (a la Lawrie).

I think Salvador Perez (ownership probably a little higher than 10%) will be a top 10 catcher.

I've stashed Myers and Hultzen. A guy I'm going to pick up and stash on my DL in a few weeks is Brett Anderson whose coming back (Second week of August) and pitching down the stretch for the A's. What about a guy like Tyler Cloyd being called up by the Phillies if they unload some pitching. Has put together a strong year and a half in the minors and could be an arm that emerges for the Phillies.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Waiver Wire Second Half Value Finds

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:46 am

Drew Pomeranz
Zach McAllister
Chris Tillman
Luke Hochevar
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 347)

Postby BigZ38 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:23 am

bigh0rt wrote:Drew Pomeranz
Zach McAllister
Chris Tillman
Luke Hochevar

Pomeranz is a great one. Trying to clear some roster space in a 2 for 1 to upgrade so I can add him actually. Forgot about him when I posted this.

Tillman is definitely interesting. Good K/9.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby toledobrad » Sun Jul 15, 2012 5:23 pm

How about Zach Britton? He's back and starting Tuesday. Does he have any value in the 2nd half?
There's nothing more exhilarating than pointing out the shortcomings of others, is there?
toledobrad Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby SpecialFNK » Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:05 pm

some names that come to mind.

Lorenzo Cain. owned in 8% on yahoo. he's back from the DL and starting in CF. he could add some power and speed in the 2nd half. he's going to play.

Wilton Lopez. owned in 2% on yahoo. if/when Myers gets traded it could be Lopez who closes.

Chris Carter. owned in 1% on yahoo. not sure exactly how the playing time is going to sort out at 1B between Carter and Brandon Moss, but Carter can hit. HR now in back to back games to give him 5 HR in 9 games.

Jim Thome. owned in 5% on yahoo. starting DH in Baltimore. could give some good power numbers.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Ender » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:25 am

Ben Sheets is a must own though not a must start just yet.

If Rickie Weeks happens to be on your FA list pick him up now. He was struggling from the injury in the 1st half but he is starting to really drive the ball now. If you are in a deeper league Marco Estrada is actually worth owning. He won't help you in ERA most likely because he is a bit HR prone but his WHIP will be decent, the Brewers should get a decent number of wins and he is an 8.5 K/9 guy. He is a sit against good offenses or in road hitters parks though.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Tennessee Jed » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:32 am

Brett Anderson
Tennessee Jed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Inukchuk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:16 am

Ender wrote:If you are in a deeper league Marco Estrada is actually worth owning. He won't help you in ERA most likely because he is a bit HR prone but his WHIP will be decent, the Brewers should get a decent number of wins and he is an 8.5 K/9 guy. He is a sit against good offenses or in road hitters parks though.

Ron Shandler has been very high on him all season, and the K's could be very nice (11 of them in 2 of his last 3 starts). Definitely one to take a flyer on if you have room...
abrunn11... the place to go for all your sig needs...
Inukchuk
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
Location: Coming down on this hospital like the hammer of Thor

Re: Re: Waiver Wire Second Half Value Finds

Postby wrveres » Mon Jul 16, 2012 2:50 pm

Tennessee Jed wrote:Brett Anderson

I've had him on my DL on two roster's for the whole season, and the more they push him back the less I become interested. I originally had him pegged for the end of this month, but it looks like end of next month is the best case scenario. That'll give him only 4 or 5 starts, maybe.
Knowing that, I had to let him go on one roster, but fingers crossed on the second.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 687)

Postby Element » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:44 pm

It could be a reach, but if you have the DL space I'd snatch up Rubby De La Rosa. If Billingsley's injury is significant and/or they don't add another starter at by the deadline he could be back in August. I love him for next season depending on his role. They have Kershaw, Bills, Capuano, Lilly & the Harangatang all under contract for 2013. Not to mention that Cole Hamels is going to be a top priority.

Love the Marco Estrada suggestion as well. I've added him in a couple of leagues and have loved the results so far.

I could also see Chipper going out with a bang.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 713)

Return to Baseball Leftovers