How to calculate ROI(return on investment)? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

How to calculate ROI(return on investment)?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to calculate ROI(return on investment)?

Postby kingstar » Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:13 pm

i was wondering how to calculate ROI for players?
kingstar
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to calculate ROI(return on investment)?

Postby ayebatter » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:13 am

I would have to say that if you had a formula that you used to create the initial values for your draft, then it would be a simple comparison of those values from draft day to the end of the season numbers. If you used another source for your values, or you pulled the numbers out of thin air, then I'd probably just look at the final standings. What are trying to accomplish ? There are bunch of numbers guys around here that can help, but they'll need to know what you're trying to do. ;-D
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1267)

Postby silverZ » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:26 am

It would interesting to see who were the most valuable picks based on ADP/position/etc vs end of year stats. Lots of sites do articles on this in the offseason, though I don't remember how many of them are based on hard stats and how many are just common sense with a little bit of research thrown in.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)

Postby kingstar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:29 am

just trying to see what the players dollar values are currently from when drafted and what they are now...for example dickey was drafted for $1 in the auction and currently has a value of $32 according to "lastplayerpicked" so would the ROI just be taking current value subtracted from auction cost. 32-1=31. So would the ROI be 31?, since $1 was invested and currently has $32 value for a $31 gain. Or Haren was drafted at $21 and currently has -$10 value so would he ROI be -$31?
kingstar
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Chaos151p » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:08 pm

I don't think there's a return on investment formula for fantasy baseball, I think it's just a general term used for whether a player exceeded his draft spot (value) or not.

I haven't found much on this but it seems interesting, I have seen a magazine with the current auction values and the values of last year (with a guy that was bought for like $30 and missed the year, his value was -$30 obviously). But what if a guy was bought for $40 and he ended up at $42... how do they calculate that?

I'd like to see how the formula works. Like if Trout's average value is say $60... what stats does he need to achieve just this value? his projected stats? Are all the players current values based on their current projected stats? Does it work with how they are ranked at the end of the season... so if Kemp finishes #1 overall, his value is $60 (and if he was drafted at $40, he players +$20).

Also, the main point for bringing this up - I'd like to see last year numbers and next year when it comes... how many guys really perform over $30? what percentage of pitchers in the $10-15 range exceed their value, stuff like that.
Chaos151p
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jfg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 pm

Chaos151p wrote:
I'd like to see how the formula works. Like if Trout's average value is say $60... what stats does he need to achieve just this value? his projected stats? Are all the players current values based on their current projected stats? Does it work with how they are ranked at the end of the season... so if Kemp finishes #1 overall, his value is $60 (and if he was drafted at $40, he players +$20).

Fantasy dollar calculators are basically ROI if you run it at the beginning and end of the year. To find out ROI you'd just plug all the season numbers into your preseason spreadsheet to generate dollar values and the difference between draft value and final value is the ROI.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Return to Baseball Leftovers