What's up with WAR these days? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What's up with WAR these days?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: What's up with WAR these days?

Postby silverZ » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:08 pm

I'm wonder what WAR is going to look like in 5, 10, 20 years from now. Defensive metrics have a long way to go before being reliable.
Here's the pitch on the way, a swing and a belt! Left field! Way back! BLUE JAYS WIN!
silverZ
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 73)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bayside » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:39 pm

kab21 wrote:The problem with WAR is that you need a lot more data to get a significant sample. I read 3 yrs somewhere and we're talking about 1/2 a season of stats so far. I also think defense is weighted too highly. I know they have mathematical basis for their formulas but I disagree with the value of awful hitters that are posting 15+ UZR/150 rates. An example is Joe Crede in 2009 (I'm a Twins fan). He hit .225/.289/.414/.703 in 90 games and put up a 1.8 WAR. Over a season that's a 3.5 WAR player that was an awful hitter. I'm sorry but he was awful regardless of his great defense.

3 years is only for defensive metrics (and even then its an unknown how accurately defenses are measured).
the offensive component of WAR is almost identical for all systems and is based on runs created. it is pretty accurate even on a game by game basis. the formula is pretty well worked out
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby kab21 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:45 pm

bayside wrote:
kab21 wrote:The problem with WAR is that you need a lot more data to get a significant sample. I read 3 yrs somewhere and we're talking about 1/2 a season of stats so far. I also think defense is weighted too highly. I know they have mathematical basis for their formulas but I disagree with the value of awful hitters that are posting 15+ UZR/150 rates. An example is Joe Crede in 2009 (I'm a Twins fan). He hit .225/.289/.414/.703 in 90 games and put up a 1.8 WAR. Over a season that's a 3.5 WAR player that was an awful hitter. I'm sorry but he was awful regardless of his great defense.

3 years is only for defensive metrics (and even then its an unknown how accurately defenses are measured).
the offensive component of WAR is almost identical for all systems and is based on runs created. it is pretty accurate even on a game by game basis. the formula is pretty well worked out

Yeah, I didn't think I needed to break it down that far but that's what I'm talking about.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Ender » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:58 pm

Defensive WAR is still shaky in general and pitching WAR is worthless, so you have to take most of it with a grain of salt.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby bayside » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:59 pm

I wouldnt say pitching WAR is completely worthless...
Its a decent way to compare pitchers vs other pitchers to see how they stack up against each other. The fact that its based on FIP is what makes it so shaky.
but it definitely isnt a great idea to use WAR to compare batters to hitters
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jfg » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:02 am

The only thing I could see about Baseball Reference's WAR is that it rewards players who excel in both aspects. Castro is 5th in d-war but he's not at the top of the list for WAR. That says something for it I think. I just don't know how good of a fielder Lawrie is, I've barely watched him play. But, if he is a very good but not great hitter and is an elite fielder, I might be able to get behind that. All of the other fielders at the top that I've watched are definitely good fielders, all of the other hitters at the top of the war are good hitters....
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 83)

Postby Ender » Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:28 am

bayside wrote:I wouldnt say pitching WAR is completely worthless...
Its a decent way to compare pitchers vs other pitchers to see how they stack up against each other. The fact that its based on FIP is what makes it so shaky.
but it definitely isnt a great idea to use WAR to compare batters to hitters

Yeah the fact it is based on FIP is what makes it worthless. You take out the 'luck' from BABIP and LOB% and for some odd reason choose to ignore the luck involved in HR/FB. You get the worst of all worlds given how they do WAR. I'd rather base it off of ERA or xFIP, FIP itself is the most worthless composite stat.
Ender
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby jorgesca » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:49 pm

Is there any pitcher's WAR based on SIERA? Or are there really only those 3 WARs out there?
jorgesca
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers