All-Star Break Cheering, Venting, The Derby, & Home Field - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

All-Star Break Cheering, Venting, The Derby, & Home Field

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who will win the 2012 All-Star Game?

Poll ended at Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:15 am

NL
21%
AL
79%

Total votes : 28

Re: All-Star Break Cheering, Venting, The Derby, & Home Fiel

Postby wazzeus » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:13 pm

J35J wrote:But seriously, what does it hurt to have 1 out of 8 be a guy from the hometown...

Totally agree. Even if the hometown player isn't a prototypical slugger, everyone loves an underdog -- especially a hometown underdog. Seemingly every season, some musclehead goes 0-fer or 1-fer in the derby. Butler easily could have outhomered Kemp and certainly Cano this year. Someone mentioned Altuve. I don't think it's a stretch to say even he could have hit one or two out.

Besides, it's not like the guys who are in the derby are THE top home run hitters in baseball. If they went purely by the numbers, we'd have seen Adam Dunn, Josh Hamilton, Ryan Braun, Edwin Encarnacion, Curtis Granderson and Jay Bruce this year. I don't think anyone would have batted an eye if Butler hit in place of, say, Trumbo, not that he wasn't deserving.
wazzeus
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:32 pm

silverZ wrote:Oh...and here I was thinking you're a meme genius. :-b I'm going to go like that facebook page right now!

So, I get that a meme is a humorous picture with text, but where did the name come from? I'd never heard of it until Hort started posting them left and right (to everyone's delight!).
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 4)

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:34 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
silverZ wrote:Oh...and here I was thinking you're a meme genius. :-b I'm going to go like that facebook page right now!

So, I get that a meme is a humorous picture with text, but where did the name come from? I'd never heard of it until Hort started posting them left and right (to everyone's delight!).

Wikipedia wrote:The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα Greek pronunciation: [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "something imitated", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos "mime")[4] and it was coined by the British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976)[1][5] as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catch-phrases, fashion and the technology of building arches.[6]
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:37 pm

Also, since I'm allowed to vent in here, I'm going to continue pouting about Stanton still being on the active roster. Here we are several days post surgery and one day from the start of the second half, and he's still not on the DL. I want to make a pickup you A-holes!!!
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:42 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:

Wikipedia wrote:The word meme is a shortening (modeled on gene) of mimeme (from Ancient Greek μίμημα Greek pronunciation: [míːmɛːma] mīmēma, "something imitated", from μιμεῖσθαι mimeisthai, "to imitate", from μῖμος mimos "mime")[4] and it was coined by the British evolutionary biologist Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene (1976)[1][5] as a concept for discussion of evolutionary principles in explaining the spread of ideas and cultural phenomena. Examples of memes given in the book included melodies, catch-phrases, fashion and the technology of building arches.[6]

Interesting, and thanks for the explanation. When did it become popular to use the term to describe these humorous pictures with text on the internet? There are all sorts of internet phrases that I'm not familiar with. i guess this is just the latest example of such phrases.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigh0rt » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:49 pm

thatguy27 wrote:
bigh0rt wrote:
thatguy27 wrote:So, I get that a meme is a humorous picture with text, but where did the name come from? I'd never heard of it until Hort started posting them left and right (to everyone's delight!).

Interesting, and thanks for the explanation. When did it become popular to use the term to describe these humorous pictures with text on the internet? There are all sorts of internet phrases that I'm not familiar with. i guess this is just the latest example of such phrases.
JTSluggers used to post them all the time in General Talk, 3, 4, 5 years ago, and they really didn't get any response. I thought they were so lame and stupid. Now I think they're hysterical. JTSluggers was a pioneer.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 376)

Postby thatguy27 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:39 pm

Marlins_________________ Date______Status______ Due Back_________________ Injury__________________Notes
Stanton, Giancarlo (RF)____07/08____Day-to-day__ Possibly early August__Loose bodies in right knee___Underwent successful knee
surgery on July 8.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/injuries/#team146

Frickin' Marlins. Due back possibly a month from now, but his status is still day-to-day. Ugh, I've literally been checking every hour for the past three days and they've yet to DL him. Effers.
thatguy27
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BigUps » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:33 pm

ASB Moves in my Keeper (we only keep 2).

Konerko and Crawford for Cliff Lee
Starlin, Rasmus and Bauer for Sabathia, Hanley and Storen

Leaves me with:
C - McCann
1B - Prince
2B - Hill
SS - Hanley
3B - Beltre
OF - J. Upton
OF- Morse
OF - Craig
Util - Heyward
BN - Ruggiano
DL - Pedroia, VMart

SP - Hamels, Cain, Sabathia, Lee, Parker, Hellickson, Fiers, Worley
RP - Clippard, Storen, Castilla

I'm out of the playoffs by 8 games, so it was time to make a few moves (I lost Beachy, Luebke and McCarthy). Lets get the ASB over with already!
BigUps
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby bayside » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:28 am

thatguy27 wrote:Marlins_________________ Date______Status______ Due Back_________________ Injury__________________Notes
Stanton, Giancarlo (RF)____07/08____Day-to-day__ Possibly early August__Loose bodies in right knee___Underwent successful knee
surgery on July 8.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/fantasy/injuries/#team146

Frickin' Marlins. Due back possibly a month from now, but his status is still day-to-day. Ugh, I've literally been checking every hour for the past three days and they've yet to DL him. Effers.

dude, i think its pretty obvious that Miami is not going to officially place him on the DLuntil sometime on Friday, likely a few hours before game time.
what incentive do they have for doing it any sooner? :-?
bayside
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers